GTX 5w20, 1900 miles, 2000 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
This is the latest UOA from my wife's car.

Here are the results from Wearcheck Canada:

1,900 miles on oil
Oct 26/06 to Jan 6/07
79,000 miles on engine
Castrol GTX 5w20
Mopar oil filter
Fram air filter
Mostly city driving
4L oil capacity
No top up oil

Iron 4
Lead 1
Aluminum 2
Copper 1
Chromium 0
Nickel 0
Titanium 0
Tin 0
Silver 0

Silicon 5
Potassium 1
Sodium 1
Boron 14
Barium 0
Calcium 2163
Magnesium 16
Moly 18
Phosphorus 726
Zinc 828

Fuel Water 0
Glycol 0

Viscosity 8.7 cst at 100c

TBN 4.74
TAN 2.66

I now have GTX 5w20 in there, along with a Carquest Premium filter. I'll run this first interval for 3k, do a UOA, and then run it for 5k intervals from that point on.

So what oil do you guys think this might be? That would be cool if it were GTX 5w20.

[edit-we now know it's GTX 5w20 so I edited the title and the results to reflect this]

Quote:

kendall syn blend or trop artic

We don't have those oils up here, so it's not likely to be those.

With the low moly it's very possible it's GTX. It's definitely not Pennzoil, as their 5w20 has a lot of moly (200ppm)

I think Honda's own 5w20 also has a lot of moly too right?

What about Valvoline 5w20 or QS 5w20, do they look possible here? Or how about Motorcraft 5w20?

I just checked another UOA and it can't be Motorcraft 5w20, it has a ton of boron in it.

Whatever it is the wear numbers look pretty good considering how they usually spike during the early miles. I suspect you could have run it another 4000 mi and still only been around 8 on iron and 2 on Copper and lead.

I'd bet its GTX 5W-20.....a lot more shops (in Ottawa, at least) seem to be using GTX as their house oil, so thats probably it.

Would be nice for you if that was the case, b/c it would have given you a quick 'flush' before your full 3k run of the same oil.

Good luck with that!

Quote:

I hate to state the obvious but why not call them and ask what they use?

My wife did phone and they told her 5w20, but she forgot to ask them what brand.
smirk.gif
And she's already rolling her eyes at me for making her do that, and she's super busy at work, so it's more fun for everyone this way.
grin.gif
Maybe once she's not so busy at work, I'll get her to phone them again and see if they can tell her the brand.

Quote:

Whatever it is the wear numbers look pretty good considering how they usually spike during the early miles. I suspect you could have run it another 4000 mi and still only been around 8 on iron and 2 on Copper and lead.

I suspect the iron spike is still residual from the GC interval where she had 19ppm of iron (on an 8k run)

I asked my wife to phone them again and it's confirmed, they did indeed use GTX 5w20!

That's the best news possible, since that now means I'm on my second run with GTX 5w20! I'm still going to run this interval out to only 3k though, as I want to get the "winter batch" out of there in the spring and start fresh with a 5k run that is done purely in warm weather.

heh, no one will believe me, but i was going to guess bulk castrol GTX. Not that I knew for sure but it was the only bulk dino that looks like that available there. Pennzoil dino was out because of the low Moly.

Quote:

Oxidation 42
Nitration 31
crazy.gif

These numbers seem sky high to me for a run

They aren't percentages though, I believe it's out of a possible 200, so cut those numbers in half.

No way this is GTX. GTX 5W20 contains a sodium additive, at least the latest SM/GF-4 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back