5w20, 0w20, or 5w30 for 2003 Camry, What gives!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading a few post and noticed a TSB from toyota for the use of 0w20 on 2AZ-FE engines, that all toyotas with this engine from this point will be using this oil. I am currently under warrenty through toyota until 75,000 miles. My manual calls for 5w30, but my question is will running 0w20 perform better in my camry. I know that it will for winter applications. But in general is this a better motor oil, especially if it is synthetic. Group IV or V oils. Is this a better oil in general.I am not sure, it good to have some knowledge on this matter and I have plenty of 5w30 in PP, but I know that it is Group III. Will 0w20 or 5w20 make a difference in the way my car runs, fuel MPG, ect... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Minor power and fuel efficiency. Use up your PP without hesitation. Then if you feel like it try 0W-20. If you run a 20 or 30 and go to synthetic their is no reason not to run 0W but little hard to find in a conventional.

The TSB is only for 2006-2007 model Toyota vehicles. DO NOT use 5W20 or 0W20 oils if you are under extended warranty.

Your car is almost 4yrs old, are there *any* changes performed on that engine in 4yrs?

I think I'd stick with what your manual calls for personally.

No changes just sticking with the 3-5k oil changes with new filter. I just stocked up on PP 5W30 50 Qts and 10 AAP oil filters. Love that price matching. Going to run it about 5-6k and do a UOA. I think I am ready for the next couple of years with oil for this car. Just need to find out why the dash is making a rattle noise. It drives me crazy on the high way, but other then that the car runs great.

One thing that could make some difference to avoid 0W-20 & 5W-20 on older models and more so in the summer is the sump is larger on some 06 & 7s.

If you read the TSB Toyota is very specific about what years of each engine can safely use 5W20 or 0W20. They are very clear that if you run these oil in non-recomended applications that some engine parts will suffer from premature wear and possably failure! THe 2AZ-FE engine is not approved for 0W20 or 5W20 until model year 2006 and up. They added piston oilers, increased the sump capacity and probably made other changes as well. If you want you run a 5W20 I would only try it with Redline since it has done well in every applications it has been tried in and is almost a 5W30. It has a HTHS higher then most 5W30's. I think that a good 5W30 dino or synthetic is about as thin as you need to go. I get 32-34MPG on the HWY and 29 composite driveing like I just stole the car and that is with a 5W40.

Yeah I am not going to run the 5w20 or 0w20 on my camry, my sister in law has a 06 Scion TC, but it call for the 5w30 too. She bought the car in June. I think its funny that toyota is making this change on an engine that has been on the market since 02. I'll keep the 5w30 PP, my car is getting a 1-2 mpg more right now. I am liking the results hope a UOA looks good too.

I believe in that late great Smokey Yunick's advice (Popular Science magazine's auto guy). He said in effect "dont ask me the right grade and type of oil to use, ask the people who made your car! Because who knows better about what the engine needs than they do?" I check my owners manual and I stick to the oil weight/grade they say.

Quote:

If you read the TSB Toyota is very specific about what years of each engine can safely use 5W20 or 0W20. They are very clear that if you run these oil in non-recomended applications that some engine parts will suffer from premature wear and possably failure! THe 2AZ-FE engine is not approved for 0W20 or 5W20 until model year 2006 and up. They added piston oilers, increased the sump capacity and probably made other changes as well. If you want you run a 5W20 I would only try it with Redline since it has done well in every applications it has been tried in and is almost a 5W30. It has a HTHS higher then most 5W30's. I think that a good 5W30 dino or synthetic is about as thin as you need to go. I get 32-34MPG on the HWY and 29 composite driveing like I just stole the car and that is with a 5W40.

It is slightly confusing at face value. I own a 2006 Scion tC with a 2az-fe engine. The cap/manual say 5w-30, but I use 5w-20 instead. It sounds to me that my vehicle falls under this switch.

I can tell you this much I own a 2003 Camry 2AZ-FE and my cap and owners manual clearly states 5W30 and I would never go any lower then 0W30 in it. My Mother has a 2007 Camry also with a 2AZ-FE the oil fill cap clearly states 5W20 and the owners manual clearly lists 5W20 and 0W20 as acceptable. If you cap says 5W30 I would think that your Scion-tC is was not one of the one approved for 5W20! You would think they would put the appropiate cap on. Toyota is usualy good about not useing a wrong part even if they have tons of them on hand!!! Do a UOA on your Scion-tC so we can see how it is doing. Run your normal OCI and sample. I look forward to see the results.

I have a Highlander with manufacture date of 4-06 with a 2AZ-Fe engine which according to the TOYOTA TBS uses 0-20 or 5-20. But my owners manual and oil cap both say 5-30. I think they used left over caps and owners manuals or they or trying to confuse everyone.I would contact them but still wouldn't get a solid answer!!!!!!!!

Quote:

I have a Highlander with manufacture date of 4-06 with a 2AZ-Fe engine which according to the TOYOTA TBS uses 0-20 or 5-20. But my owners manual and oil cap both say 5-30. I think they used left over caps and owners manuals or they or trying to confuse everyone.I would contact them but still wouldn't get a solid answer!!!!!!!!

Nope, they didnt use left over caps. Basically toyota still spec'd 5w30 when the car was manufactured and sold. Then a TSB was released to authorize the use of 5w20 or 0w20 in these engines. Now if you use either viscosity oils, they cant deny you warranty work due to the TSB. In short, when you purchased the car, toyota still recommended 5w30, thus the oil cap and owners manual stating this. Later, toyota revised their recommendation to 5w20 and released the bulletin.

Last edited:
At full operating temperature the viscosity difference between the average 20 and 30 wt. oils is nil. At 120 F and below the 20 wt. oils out perform the 30 wt. oils. It takes a good 10 to 15 minutes of driving to get the oil temperature up to 120 F even though your water temperature gets up there in a minute or two.

In general the 20 wt. oils have better additives than the 30 wt. oils. I believe that the current 20 wt. oils can be used in all applications where 30 wt. oils are specified and the 20 wt. oils will equal or excel in all performance categories.

aehaas

Quote:

I can tell you this much I own a 2003 Camry 2AZ-FE and my cap and owners manual clearly states 5W30 and I would never go any lower then 0W30 in it. My Mother has a 2007 Camry also with a 2AZ-FE the oil fill cap clearly states 5W20 and the owners manual clearly lists 5W20 and 0W20 as acceptable. If you cap says 5W30 I would think that your Scion-tC is was not one of the one approved for 5W20! You would think they would put the appropiate cap on. Toyota is usualy good about not useing a wrong part even if they have tons of them on hand!!! Do a UOA on your Scion-tC so we can see how it is doing. Run your normal OCI and sample. I look forward to see the results.

I will definitely do a UOA on this run of Castrol Syntec 5w-20. I currently have about 1400 miles on it, I plan on running it 4k.
I do know the car was manufactured in February of 2006, and the TSB says all 2006-2007 Toyota and Scion.

We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back