What does cSt mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for deviating but I have always wondered if police spec'd cars have great handling,sporty tight suspension .Is it true.How does your car handle.

This was posted by a guy on this site (I do not remember the name)
Xw-20, Xw-30, Xw-40, etc (HOT!)
This is your oil's hot viscosity. The viscosity is measured @ 100c.
This number is relative when the engine is warmed up.
The most common unit is cST. The larger the number, the "thicker" the oil.

Examples
A "30" weight is between 9.30-12.49 cST @ 100c.
A "40" weight is between 12.50-16.29 cST @ 100c.
Regards

Quote:

Sorry for deviating but I have always wondered if police spec'd cars have great handling,sporty tight suspension .Is it true.How does your car handle.

This was posted by a guy on this site (I do not remember the name)
Xw-20, Xw-30, Xw-40, etc (HOT!)
This is your oil's hot viscosity. The viscosity is measured @ 100c.
This number is relative when the engine is warmed up.
The most common unit is cST. The larger the number, the "thicker" the oil.

Examples
A "30" weight is between 9.30-12.49 cST @ 100c.
A "40" weight is between 12.50-16.29 cST @ 100c.
Regards

Not a problem. Yes they have very stiff coil springs compared to a civilan model as well as sway bars also being a lot stiffer. 98~02 models have a non variable rate steering gears so yes they are nice a firm. The 03'+ have a rack and pinion which do seem a little more accurate. I also have a ford trac-lock which is a friendly street posi. It slips on sharp turns like in parking lots but in a straight line you can lay 2 strips. These are spec'ed for 97v rated tires which make a huge differnce in road grip, taking a sharp off ramp is a breeze at highway speed. These cars are large, but feel great. Mine was never used for patrol so it feels like new still. Have all highway miles on mine. The police PCM program makes for a great power curve and nice acceleration due to the higher shift points, but at the cost of lost fuel economy. Ya can't have both.

Unfortunately, at least in the case of the CVPI, these high rate springs actually decrease the handling ability of the vehicle (this has been confirmed by the Michigan State Police). It does however, increase the longevity of the vehicle, and allows it to ride slightly higher, which is a good thing when you go tearing through a highway median.

Quote:

Unfortunately, at least in the case of the CVPI, these high rate springs actually decrease the handling ability of the vehicle (this has been confirmed by the Michigan State Police). It does however, increase the longevity of the vehicle, and allows it to ride slightly higher, which is a good thing when you go tearing through a highway median.

Very interesting. Explain. I think you mean it makes the tires work too hard allowing the sidewalls to flex too much.

Quote:

Quote:

Very interesting. Explain. I think you mean it makes the tires work too hard allowing the sidewalls to flex too much.

Nahh, The springs work fine with a half-ton of equipment and cops. The car they tested was just under loaded.

Look at the VISCOSITY CHART on the home page, first choice on the left side. cSt is actually the kinematic viscosity, and is measured at either 40C or 100C. It is measured by an instrument that spins a disk in the oil and reads out the resistance to spinning. SUS or Saybolt Universal Seconds is measured by pouring a specific quantity 100 ml?) of oil thru an orifice and timing how long it takes to go through.

Elwood: It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
[a brief thinking pause while Jake attempts to light a cigarette]
Jake: Fix the cigarette lighter.

The Blues Brothers

Hi Fordeisel69,

As others have expalined, cSt stands for "Centistoke" which is a unit of kinematic viscosity (thickness). The most common method is ASTM D-445 in which the fluid is heated in a glass tube in a bath, and then drawn up the tube with vacuum and released. By timing how long it takes for the oil to flow back down the tube between two marks on the tube one can calculate the viscosity. The tubes are formed in sort of a long "U" shape with some bulbs in the tube. The following site shows a picture of the tube and explains how it is run:

http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com/art...oup=OilAnalysis

A picture of the heating bath with the tubes can be seen at this site:

http://www.noria.com/learning_center/cat...oup=OilAnalysis

Other tests such as the Brookfield and MRV spin a disk in the oil and measure resistance. These give dynamic viscosity which is measured in Centipoise as opposed to Centistokes.

Tom

Tom - yes, of course you are correct. I was describing the Brookfield. I didn't remember the centipoise vs centistokes part. It has been too long memory wise........ I do remember using the tubes in college lab courses too many years ago. I wanted to clarify the part that someone said cSt was for hot measurements.....

Tom - Excellent and informative post. I'm gonna be using your links.

John - I wrote the little excerpt about cSt for "hot" measurements, BUT it's slightly out of context.
I was only trying to say: The latter viscosity number on oil bottles refers to a hot (100c) viscosity measured in cSt.

Definitely, cSt can be measured at other temps. Didn't mean to cause any confusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back