06 Dodge 5.9L Cummins w/5,050 mi on Delo 400 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
blackstone_report1.jpg

I installed dual Frantz bypass filters with 1000 miles on the oil change. I added 2 qts for the added capacity at that time. With 3000 miles on the oil, I changed the TP and added the other 2 qts at that time. I started out with the Frantz in series, but the flow slowed considerably, so I replumbed them in parallel. Both mounted side by side under the hood
beer2.gif

I am happy w/ numbers, I was planning on going to 7500 mi (severe duty maint. sched.) if #'s looked good, and Blackstone apparently agrees. Any comments will be welcomed.

Tom.

Your numbers look picture perfect for the amount of miles you have on this motor. I would like to see a particle count since I am running a single frantz versus your two. I know your probably trying to get a baseline but you could extend you OCI to 20k or more since you are replenishing a lot of oil at each tp change.

I wish I had asked for a PC, but did not think of it till after I got the results back. I knew I didn't want a TBN, as I was changing the oil any way. I just changed to the new Rotella T CJ-4 15w40, and the motor seems to like it. I plan on running 7500 mi with maybe 1 TP change. Here is an analysis report the Mfg. of the Frantz emailed to me. The #'s look great, and is only changing TP every 10,000 mi w/Rotella T Syn 5w40.
Tom.
[image]http://www.geocities.com/calbrewin/DodgedieselanalysisfromFrantz.pdf[/image]

I wish I had asked for a PC, but did not think of it till after I got the results back. I knew I didn't want a TBN, as I was changing the oil any way. I just changed to the new Rotella T CJ-4 15w40, and the motor seems to like it. I plan on running 7500 mi with maybe 1 TP change. Here is an analysis report the Mfg. of the Frantz emailed to me. The #'s look great, and is only changing TP every 10,000 mi w/Rotella T Syn 5w40.
Tom.
Dodgeblackstonefrantz1.jpg

Wow, that report is amazing. Everyone on tdr agreed that 3k should be the maximum for a frantz tp interval on a cummins, while I have been doing 2500 intervals. I would like to see a tbn on this oia too. I just picked up 4 gallons of rotella yesterday and picked through to get the old ci-4 oil formulation. This just shows how good oil is these days and how easy the cummins is on it.

You are wasting good oil if you dump it out at 7500 miles. Furthermore, I assume you want to extend your OCI's being that you have a bypass filter installed, right?

Harley, you are right...his report is amazing, which is why I "may" do 1 tp change during the 7500 mi OCI. I am as yet undecided on whether or not to go the full 7500 mi on these 2 rolls of tp in use now. Either way, I will do another analysis w/pc when I reach the 7500 mark. Probably around April.

Ark, You are also correct as I may be dumping good oil for nothing. I installed the dual Frantz mostly to keep the oil as clean as possible, and secondly for possible extended OCI. I am at this point undecided if I will just send a sample @ 7500 mi and wait for the results to decide if I will change, or go ahead and change the oil. I may attempt extended OCI after a couple more changes. I have till around April before I have that many miles and need to make that decision.

Tom
smile.gif

Tom,

I'll give you my recommendation
stooges.gif
. Just sample at 7500 miles and send the sample off to be analyzed. I'd bet you a coke that your TBN will still be sky high, your wear metals will be low, and your insolubles will be ultra low also.

Also, keep in mind that since you are running your Frantz filters in parallel you can get double the life before having to change rolls -vs- only having a single element. So, with that rationale you can say 3,750 miles per roll of TP. What I'd do is feel each Frantz housing at operating temp. when you get around 5K miles on your oil to ensure that they are still getting nice and hot (still getting good flow through) and decide when to change out your TP. That's my thinking
popcorn.gif

Ark,
I may very well do that...The OCI according to DC is 7,500 to 15,000. This sample was w/ DELO, but I now have the new CJ-4 Rotella T. I know the make-up of the additive pkg is different, I will be very interested in the wear...Shell is touting this oil as having improved wear and oxidation protection compared to the CI-4+ oil. All I know for sure about this oil is my engine is really responding to it. It has never sounded or felt better. I hope the analysis bears out what Shell is saying about it, if it does, I will stick with this oil for a long time.
driving.gif

One thing about CJ-4 rotella is the TBN starts lower but is susposed to be more stable and drops slower

Rand,
That is good to know... I knew the TBN started lower, I did not know that it depleted slower. I was counting on the Frantz, by helping keep the oil clean, that in itself would slow the depletion of the TBN. I am no expert, so I do not know if that is true
dunno.gif
....Just something I was expecting. Also, the occasional TP change, w/added oil would help to replenish the additives.
stirthepot.gif

Tom

Tom,

Given this level of insolubles and the viscosity, I'd say your TBN would be in the 10-11 range for this sample.

I'd agree with the other posters - 7500 miles is a joke with this setup. Since you have already checked the installation with this test, I'd run out to 10,000 miles and re-test. You should show a very comfortable margin of safety with that OCI.

TD

Thanks for all the input everyone! I feel better about testing rather than just changing the oil. I still have alot of warranty left on the engine, so I am not yet ready to go too far on this oil. But I will probably test for all pertinent info @ 7500 mi, and decide after those results how far this oil can go.

Tom
cheers.gif

Gary, thanks for sharing your report here on BITOG! I have seen your report, and other posts on TDR...most notably your thread on the Frantz. I joined a couple months ago. I love that particle count, wish I had thought of it before sending in my sample. Next time.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back