Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, 7232 mi, 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from a while back and everything seems to look ok, mostly posting it for others to see or to see if there appears to be something out of line.

I bought the car used and I don't know what oil it had in it, I drained it and filled the car with Mobil 1 EP 5W-30. On this sample I filled up three tanks with about 25% Ethanol in the fuel, two rally-x events and lots of driving in the mountains. Everything on the car is stock (after this oil sample I noticed that the air filter housing was only closed with 3 of the 4 tabs, might have been the cause of the higher silicon results. In 3 months I put 7232 miles on the oil and got these results...I have not had the chance to do another oil sample since.

Equipment Make: Subaru
Equipment Model: Impreza 2.5 RS 4-cyl
Oil Use Interval: 7,232 miles
Makeup Oil: None
Oil Type: Mobil 1 5W/30 EP (gas)
Miles on Unit: 52,535

Aluminum 2
Chromium 2
Iron 9
Copper 3
Lead 3
Tin 0
Moly 81
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 67
Silicon 16
Sodium 5
Calcium 2227
Magnesium 12
Phosphors 636
Zinc 781
Barium 0

Viscosity SUS @210dF
Should be 58-65
Tested 57.4

Flashpoint
Should be >385
Tested 370

Fuel Dilution
Should be Tested 0.8

No Antifreeze

No Water

Insolubles 0.2

BlackStone Comments: So long as your engine is approved for the E85 we doubt you will have any problems with it. We found a low flash point, which we normally attribute to gas contamination, but in this case, it may not be. We also found silicon a little high and that could be attributable to the E85 as well. It does not appear to be abrasive dirt getting past air filtration, but you may want to check the air intake filter system anyway. All wear was found at or better than universal average levels, which is remarkable considering your long oil use run. Average wear is based on 4,445 miles.

Welcome to the boards. I have nothing to add that Blackstone didn't say. You might not have thoroughly had the oil hot when you took the sample. Also make sure you thoroughly clean the drain plug before draining and let the oil run a few seconds before grabbing the sample.

I've looked at countless UOA's over the past 13 years - I bought a 2.5L, Subaru Outback based on that experience. Given that the displacement of this engine is equal to a BMW or Mazda 6 cylinder, the Sube engine generates stellar results....

I'd love to know how they lubricant the horizontal rings/cylinders so evenly???? Anybody???

BORING, BORING, BORING. AGAIN! (That's why we have three of these engines in my family.) TeeDub...I don't know, but, I wouldn't expect horizontal cylinders to be subject to forces that vertical or 45 degree or 60 degree cylinders would normally be subject to. Gravity forces on a piston just don't seem to be significant compared to the other forces. Or, am I barking up a different tree than you?

Interestingly enough, he is using the very oil that many here are saying is low quality. HMMMM.

Maybe I will stick with M1.

Chris

Quote:

Interestingly enough, he is using the very oil that many here are saying is low quality. HMMMM.

deadhorse.gif

Noone says M1 is low quality. They are (for the 1000th time) are saying M1 is promoting a Group III (cheaper than IV) as a "Full Synthetic".

Quote:

I'd love to know how they lubricant the horizontal rings/cylinders so evenly???? Anybody???

Slinging and splash from the main and rod bearings would probably do it, however, they may have an oil jet strategically aimed. Don't know much about Subbie flat-4s.

Looks fine. Sure the silicon could be a bit better but it did not hurt anything this time around. It is always good to peridicaly check the filter houseing and all the duct work. I have seen strange unexplained holes and cuts in duct work with no apparent reason for them on cars!

Quote:

Is that car approved for e85?

No it isn't. There is an ongoing trial by some Subaru members using E85 with great sucess. I mainly tried it to see if I can confirm the findings of some of the other members, but since E85 is MORE expensive than Mid-Grade I stuck with Mid-Grade. Also, I didn't use the full E85, I used a mixture to make it about 20-25% Ethanol (that is the max the computer will adjust the air/fuel mixture for).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back