2005 XR650r and 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing has approx 1600 miles now. I never would have believed it, but different brands of 15w40 make a difference in shifting. I just finished a OCI of 350mi with Delvac 1300 15w40 and went back to Rotella 15w40 non synthetic. I've alternated both for 4 oil changes now. The Rotella is definitely quieter shifting and less ticky. The Delvac is off to Blackstone, so we'll see how the two oils compare in this bike. Riding temps have been from 100f down to 20f.

With that wide a variable in riding condition it would be hard to say which oil is better. Also, FYI Rotella 15w40 is no longer Allison C4 rated for wet clutch applications. I won't use it for this reason.

True, it's not C4 anymore and I do have a supply of older oil. But I'll try the new stuff when I run out and see. I have also tried the Delo400 in this bike and the last bike, with no slippage of the clutch. I haven't done an analysis on the Delo. I'm also thinking of trying stuff like the Wal-Mart 15w40 and Pennzoil 15w40 just to see. The group I ride with hammers the bikes in the desert as well as singletrack, so the OCI's are short and mine are no more than 500 miles.

Good to see you're going to try the Rotella at some stage. I've yet to try my supply of Delo 400 and I figure if the clutch slips, well I'll just take it out and clean it. From what I've read though, I don't think I'll have any problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back