Amsoil ATF Replaces Dexron VI & Others

Status
Not open for further replies.
LargeCarManX2,
You make a great point on the part of long drain intervals and I agree. Amsoil used to (and I believe they still do, I just cannot find it on their site) state to extend drain intervals with UOAs, now does this mean extend past Amsoil's intervals, or manufacturer's drain intervals? It's one of those phrases that implies one and/or both. Unfortunately a lot of people, myself included at first, think it only means if extending past Amsoil's recommendation.

I do not suggests that anyone, customer or not, go into Amsoil's drain intervals without a UOA to check for coolant leaks, fuel dilution problems, etc. Though the XL may be an exception, since it is not a long interval.

I will never run oil changes past 10,000 miles without a UOA, same goes for transmissions and differentials but I'll wait till approximately 50,000 miles.

Quote:

It does present a bit of a logistic nightmare unless they do a label change. I will need to find out the cut off date code. Dollars to donuts it's been made for the last several weeks. Previously it was, what 7.2 cSt @100°C or so.

NEW Amsoil ATF

Pablo, from the above link:

GM DEXRON® II, III & IV Is IV means VI?
pat2.gif

That Amsoil page link that Pablo gave says Amsoil ATF is recommended for II, III, and IV, thats a 4 not a VI (six). Think Amsoil needs to change their page?

Some of the fluids mentioned have much lower viscosity specifications than the standard DEX III/MERCON (Mercon SP below 6 cSt @ 100C). What impact will this difference in viscosity have on line pressure, clutch apply, etc?

There is no DEXRON IV. It was discussed but never launched. The newer GM spec is for DEXRON VI.

I am certain Amsoil has held lots of tests for the Mercon SP specification to be approved. Dexron-III/Mercon has a minimum viscosity of 6.8, and Mercon SP is in the range of 5.5-6 (according to http://www.lubereport.com/e_article000311697.cfm?x=b11,0,w). Perhaps 6.8 might be the perfect medium, where it's not TOO thick, and not TOO thin. Look forward to seeing UOA's and hearing from others who have used this formula in their Mercon SP rated vehicle.

As for Dexron IV, that was just a misprint, it should state Dexron VI.

I would think the price of an early OCI would be much cheaper and much less hassle than a trans rebuild. So, I am going to change all my vehicles at 30k versus the 50-100k in the owners manual.

interesting

there is a GM service bulletin going around stating that Dexron VI fluid is NOT suitable for use in manual transmissions, even those that specify Dexron III (such as the T56)

GM's Dexron III will remain in production and be renamed MTF

sooooooooooooooooo the big question is the new amsoil universal ATF safe to use in my T56 even with the slightly lowered viscosity and Dexron VI rating?

Good question. My Ranger manual tranny also calls for ATF. I've got the old formulation in there now. Not sure about the new one with the thinner base.

Slightly
offtopic.gif

Pablo, I take it you have customers that have been using the thicker fluid in ATF manuals for a while? I just want to make sure the splash lubrication is sufficient with the thicker stuff. Thanks.

The TSB I am aware of is saying to not use Dexron IV to replace manual trans fluid, where in the past Dexron III could be sustituted, IV cannot.

Here it is part of the TSB..this is the only one I can find on this subject. I hope this is clear.

Quote:

Subject: Manual Transmission Fluid Usage in 2007 and Prior Manual Transmissions and Transfer Cases - keywords case fluid transmission transfer #PIP3836 - (06/14/2006)
Models: 2007 and Prior Passenger Cars and Trucks 2007 and Prior HUMMER H2 2007 HUMMER H3
2007 and Prior Saturn Passenger Cars and Trucks

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
Unavailability of manual transmission fluid part number 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).
Recommendation/Instructions:
If fluid part number 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is unavailable when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in it's place. DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of the manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases as a failure may result.

Tempest - yes I do. But it depends on the ambient temp and the tranny in question. For example in the T56 above I would say ART or ATD. For your Ranger in Vegas, MTF is the way to go.

Pablo: Are you sure about the ART fluid in a T56? The reason I ask is, it states it meets Type F specs and the T56 specs a Dex III. I would think the ATD would be the better choice.
cheers.gif

Not trying to second guess you, just curious.

Actually ART (Type F) is a better choice for a manual gearbox. The basic difference between old Type F and Dexron is FM's. These FM's are simply not needed in a T56 or any manual box. The huge plus of the ART is the extra AW and EP additives. I used it for years in my Turbo man gearbox with OD (electric solenoid, self pump hyd).

It was common in the early days of thinner gearbox oils to call for Type F in certain applications.

Now - if your warranty says Dex III, then the ATD is good choice with a good add pack as well. Also, it is slightly more viscous than the ART.

Quote:

Actually ART (Type F) is a better choice for a manual gearbox. The basic difference between old Type F and Dexron is FM's. These FM's are simply not needed in a T56 or any manual box. The huge plus of the ART is the extra AW and EP additives. I used it for years in my Turbo man gearbox with OD (electric solenoid, self pump hyd).

It was common in the early days of thinner gearbox oils to call for Type F in certain applications.

Now - if your warranty says Dex III, then the ATD is good choice with a good add pack as well. Also, it is slightly more viscous than the ART.

this is basically what i was looking for. the t56 definitely specifies DexIII (not just GM's rec, actually strongly backed by tremec), and i am under warranty so at least for now i wasnt something that meets spec. however, i agree that too much FMs are unnecessary, even though people seem to love their RP synchromax in the t56 and have been using it for years with no ill results.

so it looks like ATD is the way to go--better protection than say, mobil 1 synth atf, and less of the unnecessary FMs? i do live in california, but drive the car during winter nights and early mornings where temps can dip below freezing, so some cold weather performance and protection is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back