Pinching Brake Hoses shut with Visegrips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen many a mechanic do it when replacing a caliper or a wheel cylinder yet a retired mechanic friend of mine, who was in the business for forty years, says that it damages the hose. Does it?

Allways been contovershal. Some manufacturers say ok others h#ll no. Naturally no hose with exterior metal braid should be pinched. Also, visegrips are NOT the acceptable tool! SpapOn, Matco, and many others build special hose clamp plier tools that cannot cause damage if applied properly, and are self locking. Since fluid should never be allowed to backup in ABS systems, hose must be restricted or completely removed before opening bleeder and reseating caliper piston when replacing pads. Most repair manuals, both aftermarket and OE ok pinch pliers in this situation.

Actualy, I'd rather take a chance on ruining a hose than damaging ABS assembly with trash in a valve.

Bob

I've wrapped rubber brake lines with a pc of rubber, cloth, etc.. and pinched them closed with vice-grips without issue. I think I've done about a dozen ABS equipped vehicle pad swaps that way. No leaks or crash/burns thank goodness.

Joel

The issue is that visegrips can be set entirely too hard. Just their weight requires them to be set harder than necessary just to keep them from falling off. Can be used though if there is sufficient grey matter between ears of applicator.

Bob

Too much risk of causing internal damage to a part that if it failed at the wrong time, could send you over a cliff or into a skid. Heavy truck mechanics will pinch off a brake line (pneumatic)but that is a different situation.

I've never pinched a break line. If i'm doing one on an abs car, i just loosen the bleeder. No problems yet.

It is very unlikely that there will be damage with a new hose.
It is likely that there will be damage with an old hose, even if it doesn't show up right away.
Use minimal pressure and put a piece of cut fuel line around the hose, first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back