O2 Sensor Removal Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son and I have to remove what appears to be a really rusty, corroded primary O2 sensor from my son's 2000 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L engine. Fuel efficiency is even more horrible than earlier performance and we'd like to try a new O2 sensor. Long term fuel trim is -10% and high/low voltage spread looks to be somewhat compressed.

We struggled mightily to disconnect the exhaust Y-pipe during a 3" lift project on this truck; corroded bolts, nuts and access issues. If we bugger up the fitting we'll have to pull the Y-pipe to weld a new sensor fitting, not a prospect we relish.

Anyone have tips on removing O2 sensors?

Only thing I can think of is to heat the fitting w/ a propane torch and apply PB Blaster. I usually use a large closed end wrench and hammer to break the sensor loose.

Regards

Quote:

..Only thing I can think of is to heat the fitting w/ a propane torch and apply PB Blaster. I usually use a large closed end wrench and hammer to break the sensor loose...

That's about as good as it gets. Heat, penetrating oil and muscle. If the body of the O2 sensor breaks off, you sill have the hex to grip. IMO, it's the space constraints that cause most of the head ache and busted knuckles. Could always try an exhaust shop with a lift.

Joel

I used heat and a six sided socket on my van with 160,000 miles.Clipped the wire(s) and the socket unscrewed the sensor with medium effort. I was very happy.

Take 'er out and run 'er hard!! Leave running till you can get under it with hammer and wrench. Even heat should work better than centeralized from torch. On These Dodges manifold to pipe flange bolts are easily replaced. In my muffler bay we often cut before even attempting loosen (just a plain old bolt with a plain old head).

Bob

Load that sucker down with PB Blaster a couple of times before attempting to loosen it. I just used an adjustable wrench for mine, since I did not have a 22 mm wrench around the house.

I use a wire brush first and soak the threads with PB Blaster for while,then a propane torch on the fitting.I find an oxy acetylene torch is just to hot and will jam the threads.

New thought,,, before going to too much trouble with sensor, lightly bump converter- outlet pipe while listening for rattle of loose internal media (guts). These trucks are the most common need for replacement converters of all the vehicles coming into my shop. Damaged media will alternately allow exhaust flow/ act as plug restricting flow. If media's bad you're wasting time changing O2 sensor.

Bob

There's also the remote possibility that you'll have no issue with it at all. The hardest thing that I've noticed is getting good access to get a decent size wrench on it.

I had the same problem three months ago! Used plenty of PB blaster, it didn't work. I used an 02 sensor socket and it didn't work. use hot candle wax! buy a 50 cent candle and let it melt on the hot exhaust. it will drip into the crevices of the o2 threads and it will come out like butter.

Find a bottle of penetrating oil called Mouse Milk. Apply it to the sensor flange with a q tip while the pipe is warm. Let it set a few minutes, Break it loose with a wrench and it'll probably turn out with your fingers. The stuff is excellent and will save the threads in your pipe.

PB Blaster is good, but Kroil will work better here. If you have time, let it sit overnight. Some heat on the flange and some vibration should then get it moving.

Be sure to use an O2 sensor socket, or cut the wires and use an extra deep SIX point socket. Your typical combination wrench will create more problems.

On my 91 BMW, I changed the o2 sensor chasing a high NOX level at inspection. The sensor was in there from 91-2004, so 13 years. It was in there tight.

Lots of Pblaster, applied many times, and then a hinged ratchet with the end rested on a hydraulic jack is what it took. Even with the hydraulic jack, it took a lot of lifting, releasing, hammering on the ratchet, lifting again, and continuously spraying on the Pblaster did it.

JMH

HEAT -- it took an oxy-acetylene torch on my Caprice with 170K. PBlaster didn't do a thing and the O2 wrench broke. After heating to glowing with the torch an open-end wrench took them right out.

Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know when we remove it. Right now it's workking OK, but fuel efficiency is terrible and I'm hoping a new one will improve slightly.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back