Joe Gibbs vs Mobil 1 article - Dyno/Wear tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.dragracingonline.com/technical/viii_12-power-1.html

Quote:

WEAR TESTS

While all the power testing was going on over the eight-month span of time concerned one of my dyno mules was run exclusively on JGR race oil. The engines spec changed in terms of carburetion, heads and valve train but the short block remained the same. After amassing about 800 pulls in the 4500 to 7800 rpm range and with power levels from about 400 hp to 520, the engine was used for track testing. In all it amassed the equivalent of about 900-1,000 miles. On tear down the bearings and bores were inspected. The worst bore had 1-1/2 tenths of one thousandths wear as did the worst of the Calico coated bearings. An oil analysis indicated that most of that wear took place in the first 100 or so miles.

Seen here is the wear on the worst cylinder of a test engine run in the neighborhood of 1000 miles. This amount of wear measured out at 0.00015 inches max.

A precautionary note here is that bearing clearance and the oil viscosity used to go hand in hand. Too little viscosity and too wide a bearing clearance will result in a failure sooner or later and this applies no matter whose oil you use. If you want to know the optimum oil viscosity for your engines bearing clearance go to the JGR web site.

So is this the best oil out there? Don’t know - I have not tested every contender for the #1 spot, but one thing is for sure, it is a heck of a good oil.

If you want to use this oil don’t call Joe Gibbs Racing as they are busy further developing it not selling it. Your #1 source is actually CV Products so give them a call.

SOURCES:

JGR oil produced more Hp. LS Jr. said the M1 was the 2nd best oil they tested. It would have been interesting to see the Mobil 1 wear results. It's most likely M1R.

For anybody who ever raced a British Leyland car, David Vizard is a legend
smile.gif

It's good to see someone reporting tests with such exquisite methodology - this type of equipment costs millions to buy and many hundreds/hour to rent. I've worked with Roush and Lotus and seen the same level of competence. That's why I often scoff at the seat of the pants claims seen in advertising and here on BITOG.

David Vizard has been talking about unique oil additives for some time. The additives he tested for Indy cars a few years back could not be used in street cars because of corrosion issues. This has nothing to do with his current test with Gibbs, but there may be some problem with using this oil in a street car, just like there was a problem using Vizard's oil additive a few years ago.

The only things that can be concluded from that article is that JGR oil produces a couple more HP than an unknown M1 formula/visc in ~400HP pushrod V8s built for racing and produces little wear under those conditions. No wear measurements were given for the unknown M1 formula/visc. I don't recall seeing which JGR oil formulation it was either.

However, it looks like the JGR oil if worth a try if you race similar type engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back