Gumout Professional Engine Crankcase Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno if they call it crankcase cleaner, but it goes in the oil and is a full gallon. Saw it a PepBoys and was waiting to see of anyone was posting on it here. Curious, I popped it open to smell and it was oily and like MMO, but not so much solvent. Instructions were run in crankcase (after draining old oil) at idle for 10 min and drain or something like that. I would feel better with a fully-formulated product like this, rather than an additive flush. I like this because it has the lube built-in, rather than additives (solvent) that give the impression that lubrication is an afterthought. Some, like SeaFoam actually suggest driving with that stuff in...spreading the sludge around evenly after it evaporates would be the result of that. Anyway, Gumout Professional Engine Cleaner....it exists. Price was good too, like $11.
thumbsup.gif

Hmmm, maybe i'll have to give this a try. I was looking into that Mac's/Napa stuff in the other thread also. Decisions, decisions...

Quote:

spreading the sludge around evenly after it evaporates would be the result of that.

Not if it gets caught in the filter....

FWIW, Neutra is pretty oily if you're going to go the flush route.

Quote:

Gumout® Professional Engine Flush

A Gumout® Professional Engine Flush loosens sludge, varnish, gum deposits, and metal filings trapped inside the crankcase from lack of consistent maintenance. These impurities contaminate the new oil and decrease its effectiveness to perform basic lubrication. That leads to a decrease in engine performance and fuel economy while increasing engine wear and harmful emissions.

I found that on the website of some quick lube joint. Don't know if they put it in a machine or what.

Here's what the MSDS says:

Chemical CAS No / Unique ID Percent
MSDS: Proprietary or
trade secret additive/
ingredient(s) 000000-00-8 Detergent/Dispersant 000000-02-4 10-15%
Hydrotreated light
naphthenic distillate
solvent extract 064742-53-6 80-90%

I'd use the Amsoil flush if one wanted a 15 minute flush. What does Gumout know about engine lubrication? What happens if your engine fails during the Gumout flush, will Gumout be responsible?

What Gumout and so many others do know there is one born every minute. Just can't wait to get it in there engine. Guarantee ? they won't even pay for the tow truck. Next!!

By the way the majority of AMSOIL Dealers go the last mile to help you. I am proud so many use Auto-Rx to clean there customers engines before adding fresh AMSOIL to there engines

Last edited:
It is 90% Naptha!!!! Who in their right mind would want close to 4 quarts of Naptha in their crankcase????? That is insane and that is before any other stuff. It is a recipe for acelerated wear the likes of wich have never been seen on this board!!! One pint of B12 is about as strong as anyone would should ever use and even then I would only use B12 on a sludge beast that was scheduled for mechanical work if the B12 did not work!! Now their is nothing wrong with most of your 1 quart and 1 pint engine flush's especialy used as 5-25 minute quick flush's. Sure any solvent is going to accelerate wear but not too much when used as directed. The amount of wear and tear is based on concentration of solvents to crankcase oil. How much protection do you thing Naptha is going to give to metralic parts and bearings?? Rember you need to float the parts and prevent metal to metal contact!They are not even listing any AW/EP additves in this stuff! let us hope that you are only supose to use a pint to a quart of this stuff to a full crankcase of oil.If you are supposed to run this stuff as the only fluid in the crankcase it is a recipe for destruction.

BlazerLT, I would love you to fill your 4.3V6 crankcase full of Naptha with no oil and run it. Be sure to send us a UOA of that!!! Just think how good his gas millage will be with Naptha in the crankcase!!! If 5W20 it is good -25W0 must be even better. No modern engine should ever be subjected to this!!The oil pump is not even clearanced for anything as thin as straight Naptha! It is almost as silly as people that belive that filling your engine with water adn dumping in some tide is going to do the engie good! They actualy do this in S. America as an urban myth for cleaning an engine. You will see people filling their engine with water and scooping tide powder or liguid into the engine as extra detergent is going to clean it out.

BrianWC, My issue is that he is considerign putting the entire gallon of Naptha based cleaner into his engine with no oil and running it!!! If he was only going to put 1pint-1quart of solvent in his engine on top of motor oil I would not have any problem at all. From how I read the initial post he suggests that you drain the oil and add this gallon of engine cleaner to the sump and run it! Naptha is a solvent you can by it at hardware and paint stores.

I will admitt one thing. I would love to be near by when this is done so I can hear what an engine full of Naptha sounds like in operation!!!It has been a long time since I have had a good laugh at someone elses expense.

No I know but I just wasn't sure if napthanic distillate was necessarily solvent or if this was just a light oil i.e. napthanic vs. paraffinic petroleum

Folks,

I'm gonna sit back and watch! This one is definitely funny! (and I ain't gonna put 90% naphthanic distillate into my Honda Fit crankcase, noooosurreeebob!)

BrianWC, Big difference in Napthenic derived lubricateing fluid and Naptha the solvent.Like wise big difference between the parafin wax I use to make peanutbetter balls covered in chocolate and parrafinic derived lubricateing oil. just because things have simalar sounding name does not make their charterisitic simalar. You would not melt down 20lbs of parrafin wax and dump it in your crankcase would you?

Right! I'm just asking the difference. I don't wanna use this stuff, lol! The MSDS just said "napthanic distillate." I am asking if that is a solvent or a light oil derived from napthanic petroleum. Lol, I have a whole garage full of flushes....Why would I want one more?

Marketing dept decides if 'one more' product can be profitable.

So, take 3 quarts of napthenic motor oil, one quart of napthanic solvent, mix together in a gallon jug, and call it "Professional.....

$11, what a waste of money and petroleum? IMO, you're better off with a 5-15 minute normal cold engine flush product added to your oil right before you change it!

I still don't see why there is such an anti-flush lobby. Since they are added to your oil, its the oils job to provide the additives, lubrication, viscosity.......
No afterthought, no evaporation(cold flush), no sludge spreading, no #@$%! rumours.....

I do not think a quality company should sell a product that either does not work or could have long term (bad) effects on your engine. Slick 50 has always been on that list in my mind. Now maybe Gumout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back