Best and Worst Transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trans in my 1999 Sable was missing shifts since it had about 30k untill I had it rebuilt last year at 75k. What a piece of junk. Whatever I buy next, I'm tired of automatics going bad on me. Almost every automatic I ever owned had to be rebuilt at one time or another. Manuel trans is next for me.

Lots of post about the Turbo 400, but how about the Turbo 350? More common, cheaper to rebuild, doesn't suffer as much parasitic loss, and can still be built to live behind a big-block? I can buy a nicely rebuilt T350 and a quality converter for about $700. But, for a daily driver, I sure likes my overdrive.
smile.gif

I don't believe in best/worst auto transmissions. Most have issues. Some just get more of a bad rap then others.

Address known issues with available upgrades and just about every transmission is excellent.

Ignore maintenance, cooling upgrads(based on driving style), hardware/software updates, and any auto transmission can be a lemon.

1978 Toyota pick-em-up had the Aisin-Warner A30 auto tranny bolted up the the 20R engine.

Same combo found in that era's Celicas and Coronas.

That A30 tranny was a basic 3-speed and they seemed to last forever. Had plenty of 'em sitting in inventory at the salvage yard and seldom sold any. For being bolted up to a little 4 cylinder with a mere 120hp those A30s were big and stocky.

Don't recall the designation for it but the 3-speed manual bolted up to my Mopar slant-6 held up to abuse and just kept on shifting. That's another tranny we never got calls for at the used-parts place.

Last wrecking yard I worked at is in Omaha Nebraska. Prior to that I was at various yards in California. We sold many more auto trannys back here than out in California. I wonder if the more severe winters back here affects tranny longevity? Perhaps the presence of just plain colder cold hurts trannys. Maybe how people use the tranny when coping with slippery streets; trying to get moving when the tires just spin or when they get stuck in the snow. I dunnno'.

Sure wish I had access to the yard's data base. The search results would be fascinating. Could toss out the number of incoming class seeking a certain tranny. Those figures more valuable than number sold since demand can exceed supply.

Quote:

GM 4L60E up until the last few years
GM 4T65E up until the last few years due to solenoid problems
Ford AX4N
Chrysler A604
Some Toyota U140E units in the RX300
Older Ford CD4E units
Saturn TAAT for valve body and input shaft nuts problems

I disagree on the GM 4L60 series.between my brother and myself we have had 7 of them and the earliest failure was at 165k. However, fluid changes at 30k minimum is a must to keep this box alive. They will cook fluid in 50k no problem if you carry anything over 100lbs.
grin.gif

The 4L60E (and a lot of others, I presume) get a bad rap because a LOT of people don't know what they're doing when they rebuild them. Therefore, the failure rate on rebuilds is quite high. Want a GOOD 4L60E? Here ya go:

http://www.cpt4l60e.com
http://www.700r4l60e.com

There's 2 that KNOW what they're doing, and will make one that will far surpass any factory or reman. The local shop might be able to throw one together to live for a while, but it will probably cost you just as much money as it would for a good one.

Hi

My '97 4T60E is junk. The thing only has 246,000 miles on it and has never been out of the car. Stupid GM.

;-)

Trying driving it in the city and tell me if it lasts 246k.

Highway driving is easy on a transmission...

Worst: Ford A4LD. I believe the LD stood for "Limited Duty"

Best: Chrysler 727. Have them in my motorhome, race car, plow trucks, etc.. Easily rebuildable, can handle 500 horse plus in stock form, and MUCH more with a few upgrades. Best auto trans ever made IMO. I've seen many examples go 200K plus without service.

Other worsts: Most of the late model Mopar automatics. Sadly, the engines in our minivans, trucks, etcc.. can go 250K, but the transmissions are a #@$%! shoot. Chrysler transmissions today are pretty poor in general.

VW is nothing if not a big POS. I owned a rabbit 1977, worst ever car, forget the transmission - but its the only thing that didnt break on it. Worst electrical system in the world, never again - oy vey!!!
mad.gif

My votes for best: TH400, 727 & C6. TH350 also very good but need more maintenance that the "big three". Worst: too many to list.

Best manuals: Chrysler Hemi 4-speed, Ford toploader. Muncie was weak even the M22 "Pebble Crusher" but not a smoother shifting 4-speed from the big three could be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back