2006 Odyssey and VSA/ABS/ orange triangle

Status
Not open for further replies.
So wouldn't you know it, I am leaving on a 1300 mile trek on Friday (some of it through snow) and the VSA, ABS, and orange triangle all came on today. 5 starts and they are staying on. I am taking it in tomorrow morning, but here is what I know:

1) Honda just replaced the brakes 2 weeks ago due to grinding. Is there a sensor that they could have mangled?

2) I just added a fitlermag to the oil filter that rests very close to the right brake in the last 2 weeks. Not sure, but anyone hear of this being a problem.

3) I haven't been able to check the tire pressure, but I just checked it a week ago and they were all good. I know that can cause some ABS sensors to trip a code so I will check when I get home.

4) This better be a coincidence (because if it isn't I am going to be irritated) but last night with the engine running I pressed the VSA button on and then off. I was waiting for the wife to get out of a restaurant and I had this uncontrollable urge to push the button to see what light came on (it was the triangle
smile.gif
). If that causes the system to go bonkers I want a new car, but it is just too weird for it not to be related when it failed on the next start.

Anyone know of this problem?

FWIW, it the triangle flashes, it means your VSA (this includes traction control and the stability program) is currently active. When your van is again, try spinning the wheels (snow or rain help) and you'll see the light flahsing. This is supposed to let you know the road is slippery and the system is trying to save your #@$%! (if you're looking at the dash when you're driving instead of the road, there's bound to be a lot of #@$%! saving going on btw)

If you push the button to de-activate the system, the orange triangle lights up solid. If the VSA light and the orange triangle come on, it means something is FUBAR - take to the dealer.

I've pushed the VSA button on and off many times on my Odyssey and all still works well.

Quote:

By the way, you probably know about www.odyclub.com right.

Yep, Thanks though. I've got the triangle to come on a few times when I am trying to impress the High School chicks in my minivan
wink.gif

The triangle, ABS and the VSA light are all on solid. I am hoping it is just a sensor and they have it in stock. It's going to be a royal pain if I have to delay our vacation to wait for a part.

I'll post over at Odyclub and see, but you are probably correct - it's FUBAR.

It sounds like it could be a wheel speed sensor. This would explain why all 3 lights are on - ABS can't function because it depends on comparing the rotations of each wheel to the others, same with VSA (which is spread across both lights, the triangle and "VSA").

Quote:

It sounds like it could be a wheel speed sensor. This would explain why all 3 lights are on - ABS can't function because it depends on comparing the rotations of each wheel to the others, same with VSA (which is spread across both lights, the triangle and "VSA").

Bingo. You win the prize. Problem is it isn't covered under warranty because some @#$@##%!@##$@%@# bunny rabbit chewed through the wiring. $371 in damage. Merry Christmas to me.
rant.gif

Look for my next thread..."how do I keep rodents out of my car."

bunny rabbit? I can send you some recipes. We hunt for those around here. We usually run hillbilly rabbits, but sometimes the dogs will flush out a swamp rabbit. Those are bigger and more fun to race/hunt.

$371 - is that for all 4 sensors installed? How much wiring did they have to replace? What other wiring has been chewed through?

Quote:

$371 - is that for all 4 sensors installed? How much wiring did they have to replace? What other wiring has been chewed through?

I am not sure. It is the main line since all 4 sensors were out. Since they don't "repair" wiring I could see it costing a few bucks in labor to pull and replace. I didn't get the feeling I was being taken for a ride, but if I had the time I would have probably tried to repair the wiring instead.

I live in California. It's illegal for me to practically own a gun let alone fire it. It probably wouldn't be a good idea with all the kids running around in "suburban land". But I am getting there.

Are you sure the 'rabbit' wasn't the technician that did your brake job a few weeks ago?

Just wondering how the Honduh tech narrowed it down to a rabbit. Do rabbits leave incisor prints like we humans leave finger prints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back