'02 Duramax Delo 400 15W40, Wix - 5,300/98,100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last report can be found here, by a lesser quality lab:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=2#Post583483

Truck hasn't been pushed too hard for a 3/4 ton. A few long trips, several 25 mile highway trips to work. Pulled a few car trailers and other light loads on this oil.

Delo 400 15W40 and Wix oil filter. Wix Air filter and fuel filter also. 3 months on this sample.

Truck has an edge/attitude programmer set mild (levels 1 to 2 of 5, makes an addition 60ish horsepower over stock).

I think I will heed blackstone's recommendation to extend the OCI to 6,500 miles. Any other input?
98k_OC-vi.jpg

Thanks!
-Josh

If the wear metals stay low, what is a (very) safe TBN limit?

At $8.50/gallon for oil (2.5 gallon capacity) and near free wix filters, I guess i'm still hesitant to go much past 7k miles when it only costs $22 to change it. Epsecially when I factor in that it is a $10k engine.

Don't quote me on this, but I think Blackstone states that a 1.0 TBN level is low. Their testing methods are different than most oil labs. I'd get verification from Blackstone on that.

Your TBN is at 11.4 in 5,300 miles which translates into your oil being in GREAT shape. Unless you like to dump good oil out of your crankcase, I'd sure recommend going a heckuva lot longer on your OCI's.

Josh, I just recently sent Blackstone in the oil from my '03 Duramax with 42k on it. I had 12 months 8,000 miles on the oil (Shell Rotella T 15W40). They told me to go 8,500 miles on this next oil change. This was on conventional oil.

I'm running Delo this time and will run it the 8,500 and send in another sample. If that comes back in good too, I'll just send in a sample every 25k miles as a maintenance check.

For Blackstone I would use 2.0 for a Diesel. For anyone else I would use 4.0 for a Diesel.

I have a 23,700 mi run in a CAT 3406E around here with a 8.30 TBN, 2.80 TAN, 15 Nitration, and 12 Oxidation.

In my opinion I would make the next run 10,000 mi (warranty allowing) without even batting an eye.

I'd suggest a lower limit of 4.0 on the TBN (to maintain engine cleanliness), and an upper limit of 1.0% on soot (reflected by your total solids # in this analysis).

An OCI of 10,000 would appear to be conservative based on this one set of data - largely due to the widespread use of ULSD fuel, which reduces both soot and acid buildup in the oil...

Those are the best non-Cummins, No-bypass wear numbers I've seen. Great report - and I sure love the addition of Molybdenum to the Delo - I'm expecting continued good reports from mine!
cheers.gif

my guess is that the molecules that the sulfur is tied up in would likely be complicated and smoke/soot forming.

Unfortunately they are the stuff that's nice and lubricious for your pump.

From reading this Quote...."Older vehicles and equipment will run on ultra low sulfur diesel and will experience a small reduction in particulate matter.".... and the other links, the main reduction is in the particulate trap and not so much that the ULSD will produce much less soot.Quote...." The new engines will utilize an emissions-reducing device called a particulate filter. The process is similar to a self-cleaning oven's cycle: a filter traps the tiny particles of soot in the exhaust fumes.

Fantastic numbers, I wouldn't hesitate to throw on another wix oil filter and run the oil to 10k or more. I don't see any reason that the duramax's cant go to 400k or more with all the UOA's and low wear seen on here.

I would not do any heavy long distance pulling after 5k on the oil expecially during summer heat. The vis. is already dropping at 5.3k
do you monitor exhaust temps while pulling?

I do monitor exahust temperature, I have an EGT probe pre-turbo. The highest temperature the exhaust has seen is 1,250' F, and only for short periods, towing through the mountains. < 1,000' F is much more common.

I am now at 5,500 miles on the current Delo 400 / Wix filter, I plan to drian and sample ~7,500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back