NAPA/Macks engine flush,good.bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a quart of Macks engine flush, from Napa, and used it. Heres what i noticed, as i poured it into crankcase, some crud that built up under the oil fill cap, in the crankcase, dissolved away immiedialy! Seemed to be strong potent stuff!! ANyone else use this item? It dissolved crud on contact, where seafoam never did sucha thing, or gunk engine flush for that matter. It advertises, it cleans out ring packs, valves, oil channles, ect.
cheers.gif

Sounds interesting. The NAPA website does not show it, and Google came up blank for the product. Is there a website or other contact information on the bottle?

I ran this stuff through my engine after I did not get oil pressure on startup. It was not after an oil change either. Previously the pan gasket was replaced and gunk had to be cleaned off the oil pickup screen. I don't know if the NAPA/Mac's Engine Flush helped or not, but I changed the oil after that and haven't had any oil pressur problems since. I'd like to try that BG stuff that has been talked about in one thread here. It seems pretty potent.

Yeah, close to that.
Bottle advertises, NAPA MAcs 5830 Engine fast flush
mels sludge in just 5 minutes opens restricted oil passages.
30 fl.oz.
washes out gum, sludge and varnish frees sticky valves and rings clean engine runs cooler-with more power, quieter running engine. Add to cracnkcase with car idling, 5 minutes, 10 with bad sludge. flush and change oil immediatly.
contains petroleum distillates, Xylene(cas#1330-20-7) and butyl cellosolive(cas#111-76-2)

Napa Employee picks Auto-Rx in his car for internal cleaning of oil lubricated rotating parts.go to home page wwww.auto-rx.com. Napa is looking at Auto-Rx automotive parts people don't like the idea of offering a money back guarantee or how to explain the fact one product does engines-transmissions-power steering-stop leaks. One idea is to color code labels and bottles and charge according to application.

You won't want to be guaranteeing anything after some idiots start buying ARX at Napa! There will be so many idiot know-nothings buying this product, misusing it, then wanting their money back due to their own idiocy that it may not be worth the extra revenue stream. Plus it will give ARX a bad name to some...ARX has been built for the most part on internet oil-savvy people who follow the instructions to the tee, understand oil, and can understand the logic behind the instructions and the need to follow them to the letter. Jimmy Joe off the street? Nah.

Quote:

You won't want to be guaranteeing anything after some idiots start buying ARX at Napa! There will be so many idiot know-nothings buying this product, misusing it, then wanting their money back due to their own idiocy that it may not be worth the extra revenue stream. Plus it will give ARX a bad name to some...ARX has been built for the most part on internet oil-savvy people who follow the instructions to the tee, understand oil, and can understand the logic behind the instructions and the need to follow them to the letter. Jimmy Joe off the street? Nah.

I disagree somewhat,Joe of the street is more likely to be a AZ or AA customer,NAPA tends to have more mechanics as customers.In general if someone is comfortable with maintaining their own car they are usually capable of following instructions.Putting on the shelf at large chain store and Wally's would IMO have the outcome you describe.

These products work, however.....if your engine is really varnished or sludged up, the oil pickup screen could be clogged quickly and the engine will sieze up/ kaboom...

This is why so many folks like Auto RX or a quart of a quality synthetic like Amsoil or Redline added to the engine for a slow cleaning.

I read a testimonial on the Saturn forums about this product and it indeed cleared out the rings enough to reduce oil consumption to practically nothing. Read the same about the BG Quick Clean.

Does the thought of having solvents strong enough to create metal shock reaction resulting in lifting off pieces of "crud"now floating around in your oil pieces big enough to stop up an oil screen or plug a piston port make it attractive to use? A lot of these products are used to clean parts removed from an engine. And they get posted by some somebody as a inexpensive way to clean your engine.

Always remember no oil drain gets everything else and if your going to keep your car or just a ethical guy go with Auto-Rx it has an added plus it works.

from a couple of posts ive seen about really sludged up engines and auto-rx is that even after 2 full runs with auto-rx it didnt seem to do much to the real thick stuff. I guess if you have a really sludged up engine you could run the Macks flush then drop the pan and change the pickup screen. It would be worth it to me if your really sludged up.

Quote:

from a couple of posts ive seen about really sludged up engines and auto-rx is that even after 2 full runs with auto-rx it didnt seem to do much to the real thick stuff. I guess if you have a really sludged up engine you could run the Macks flush then drop the pan and change the pickup screen. It would be worth it to me if your really sludged up.

In some instances this is the case, but when I brought this up, this is what happened
hornets_nest.gif

Yup, Auto-RX is the ONLY way round these parts.
hornets_nest.gif

I've done 2 BG flushes now within a span of about 300 miles to see if it will reduce oil consumption like it has for some of the Saturn community. Runs better I must say!

I'll chime in when the pickup screen clogs and the motor dies...
liar.gif

I wonder how well ARX would do on shelves personally. Its a great product but its price tag reflects the quality and the work put into it. On a regular parts store type shelf it will be sitting next to the 3.49 "Flushes" and other things that generally claim to be able to do "the same thing" for much lower price. And when people see a bottle over 18.00 that takes 1500 miles to clean up your engine, and right next to it is Gunk that does a flush in less than 15 minutes and its one fifth the price. I fear most won't see the value of ARX.

Generally, I have been nervous of ANY quick cleaning things. I have this horrible thought of one day driving down the road and my engine suddenly blowing to pieces because 14 years of crud suddenly decided in unison that NOW is the time to free themselves.
laugh.gif

Mack Flush is a parts cleaner now pressed into a product to fight sludge. Can you imagine cleaning your transmission or power steering let alone your engine with solvents so strong they strip paint ?

I am waiting to see who posts first the damage they incurred with the misapplications or products that are cheap and almost work as good as Auto-Rx so some say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back