GM 6.0L oil use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to find some info to help ease the excess useage of oil use in an Escalade with about 60,000 miles on it. Non-specific dino oil has been used in it up to this point. Has anyone had experience with this engine where they have found one oil to perform better in regards to consumption? This is a freinds vehicle and they just brought this to my attention. I am unable to quantify useage at this point. Not having a GM V-8 myself for quite some time, I do not any experience with them. Any ideas are appreciated?

What year? There was a re-design in the PCV valve around 2003. You may want to change it anyway, that is the first place to look on these engines. I have a 2003 6.0 and have been using M1 5w30 with little or no noticeable useage, so I will continue with that.

I'd use Havoline 5or10w30. Have used it before on cars with oil consumption and has helped, just not GM V-8 though. Give it a try, i am willing to bet it will help. It would be helpful if you could tell us how much useage per x amount of miles.

My cousin has one of these engines in a '01 3/4 truck. He kept the oil changed every 4-5 thousand miles and it sludged on him so bad it blocked the oil pump screen. It has maybe 120000 miles and used quaker state oil.

Quote:

I am trying to find some info to help ease the excess useage of oil use in an Escalade with about 60,000 miles on it. Non-specific dino oil has been used in it up to this point. Has anyone had experience with this engine where they have found one oil to perform better in regards to consumption?

Problems with this engine are generally not related to the design, it's with lack of manufacturing quality control. Some with high oil consumption LS-x style of engines have reported good results with Rotella T-Syn 5w40. I'd also look into that possible PCV upgrade and see if it applies, and check the PCV system for proper functioning.

If the rings are gummed-up a AutoRX application might help.

Quote:

This is a freinds vehicle and they just brought this to my attention. I am unable to quantify useage at this point.

Good data always helps with the evaluation.

I have a 1997 5.7L GM with 138K on it and it consumes zero oil in 3000 mile OCI. All 10W30 Castrol dino except a few runs of Syntec up to 6000 miles. So that's what is possible.

If I suspect a dirty engine I go into a "flush" routine, changing oil/filter every 1000 miles for 10 +/- times. You can see the oil coming out get clearer and clearer. Later in the process I start extending OCI. Use good but inexpensive oil/filters.

Thanks for the pcv heads up. I will change that tomorrow. I typically prefer synthetics, but will have them put in a fresh batch of dino and watch for consumtion. I thought I had seen some good UOA's with GC in some GM V8's, but was not sure if I was remembering correctly.

I have owned more than 20 GM V8 engines since the 80's and if you dont' clean the PCV system regularly you will get comsumption.

Read this..........

Document ID# 901494
2001 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Higher Than Expected Engine Oil Consumption (Replace PCV Valve) #01-06-01-029B - (07/19/2002)

Models: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe Models

2002 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

1999-2002 GMC Denali, Sierra, Suburban, Yukon Models

with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINs V, T, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, LQ9, LQ4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to clarify the parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-029A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition
Some customers may comment on higher than expected engine oil consumption. They may further comment on consumption in the range of 3,200 km (2,000 mi) or less per quart (0.946 liter) of oil under normal driving conditions.

Cause
The condition may be due to the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve flow rate under certain engine operating conditions.

Correction
Verify that the oil consumption is not the result of an oil leak or other engine concern.
The dealer should perform an oil consumption test. The vehicle should have accumulated over 6,450 km (4,000 mi) before establishing the oil consumption rate. Reference Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011, Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guideline, for details.
Remove the PCV valve and inspect the hose going to the intake manifold for signs of excessive oil being present.
If excessive oil is present in the PCV hose, replace the PCV valve (Type 948C) (2) with a new-style fixed orifice PCV valve, GM P/N 12572717(1). See the illustration below.
PCV Valve Identification

(1) New style fixed orifice PCV Valve
(2) Spring and plunger style PCV Valve (Type 948-C)

Important: The new style fixed orifice PCV valve contains no moving parts, and does not rattle when shaken.

If the vehicle has an orifice style PCV valve, investigate other causes for high oil consumption.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Valve, PCV

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J6000
Valve, PCV - Replace
Use published labor operation time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 901494
2001 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back