Mazda 2.0 vs Mazda 2.3 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Is the 2.3L engine truly worth the extra $700 for it's added performance?

If they were the same price, would you rather have the 2.3L or the 2.0L? Do you want 10% better power, or 10% better fuel economy? Is $150 a year in gas worth the little bit of extra fun when you floor it?

I would still have bought my Mazda3 if it only offered the 2.0L, but I also would have paid the extra $700 for the 2.3L if that was the pricing scheme at the time. I like the extra power. I don't need it, but I like it.

Quote:

JHZR2, go drive one, they are very impressive handling vehicles, despite the fact that their main competators are your stereotypical economy car. I've driven one and was very impressed with how performance minded this little car was. Good price tag too... it's not your ordinary economy car. If you want the 2.3L in an orginary economy car, go look at the Ford Focus with the 2.3L

I spent a LOT of time and miles driving a focus 2.0, and sure, its not the same car, per se... but in many ways it is. Ive driven the 6 and the 3, just on a highway in a test drive, but don't deny that they are nice to drive, tight and well-controlled, etc.

I do not deny thatin the world of economy cars, the 3 is the car that I'd surely buy... but having so-called peformance oriented economy cars, i.e. we own an acura intega and a BMW 318i, I know that they are enjoyable to drive, and make the daily grind chugging along in traffic, or cruising down a backroad, OK to do.

That said, whether you have 130 hp or 150 hp, youre not going THAT fast, and the key to having a decent economy car that is nice to drive is not the extra 0.3L or extra 10 hp or extra 0.2 seconds in scooting to 60 MPH, but rather the ability to have perfect feel in the transmission, gearing that is suited perfectly for the daily grind, a engine that is merely willing to move, and an engine that is not absolutely raucous when you drive at 70 MPH.

Anyone elses' mileage may vary, but as far as Im concerned, if I want a car that will really haul and deliver good performance, Ill either be buying a mazdaspeed 3 type car, which likely isnt that well suited for a daily driver (likely too high strung, but correct me if Im wrong), or Ill actually buy a real 'performance oriented' vehicle, and not pretend that Im a race car driver scoting around. And, if I'm really into auto-xing, I darn well better be really sharp in terms of my driving skills, because its driving ability that gets good times and wins in auto-xing, not an extra 0.3L and 10hp.

Just my opinion... shoot me if you wish, but thats how I see it.

JMH

Our 2006 3i 2.0 is a great car, I was going to get another 2007 3s 2.3 but the dealer was selling 2006 Mazda 6s models fully loaded for less so I bought one of those. The 2.0 is a great engine, quiet on the highway and has plenty of zoom zoom in town. We logged almost 40mpg on a 800 mile trip in September. When I drove the 2.3 it does have a 5 speed automatic tranny which eliminates the tall 2nd gear but straight line performace seems about the same. I did not care for the seats fabric pattern or the tail lamps. Does not seem worth the extra for me, the 5 speed automatic is what makes this car different in my opinion. Ill wait and trade in ours when the 2.0 has the 5 speed auto.

I have a 2006 Mazda3 GT Hatch (2.3) with the 5-speed auto tranny. I have driven the 2.0 as well, and the biggest difference between the two is the low end torque. The 2.3 just feels "stronger" through the rpm range then the 2.0, not by a ton, but it is noticeable.

It's all in what your main need is, if you want mpg then go for the 2.0, if you want a little better performance go with the 2.3. Either way, they are both good engines.

Which model of focus do you drive.. I have the lightest model.
Seems plenty peppy with the manual.
the only problem so far in the first 8k miles are the shocks
squeak more than anything I have ever heard.. esp driver rear shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back