New Havoline with "Deposit Shield" for $ 2.69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats right! I have no clue what the mysterious "Deposit Shield" phrase means...but its apparently worth an extra buck per quart to the Chevron/Texaco guys...
nono.gif

Anyone know how it compares with the tried and true Havoline? Is it worth stocking up on the current stuff or wait and pay more for the "new and improved" version? I hope whats inside the bottle is as cool as its new look!
driving.gif

Back up the tractor trailer for the current stuff priced at $1.55 at Advance Auto.

Sounds like ChevronTexaco just hired a bunch of fresh out of college marketing grads.

Notice the article states that "it represents a significant change in the chemistry of the product".

I hate ambiguities but the Chevron guys are no nonsense people as their products have proven. I wonder what this "significant change" translates to in terms of real engine protection. I am almost inclined to wait for the new product rather than stock up on old Havoline based on nothing but faith in the brand...
banana.gif

If you can buy Chevron supreme where you live now
I don't see any reason to stockpile old school Havo
unless clearance priced. Those with Chevron Supreme oil will just get another choice for more dollars.

Old product? This is a BTW..

Check out the VOA on Havoline, Damen. The flashpoints rivals that of the synthetics. Lots of moly, it's probably a synthetic blend to hit the pour points and flashpoints it carries not to mention SPI SM and ILSAC GF4.. For 2.00 a quart.

Faith in the brand doesn't make it blind. The golden age of DINO has passed..

Long live DINO! But you're right toocrazy. I can see the writing on the wall...there will come a day when synthetic oil becomes the only oil you can buy...as soon as dino supplies drop and prices go up...just probably not in our lifetime...

I'd guess the additives are targeting beating GTX and marketing is hoping to get a price closer to GTX for it.
Hopefully Chevron throws in Pennzoil type rebates to buy market share and give me a lower price than 2.69 to try their new chemistry.

Marketing yada-yada.. The only unvarnished (pardon the pun) truth in the article is the last sentence..

Quote:

"Havoline with Deposit Shield simply helps prevent deposits from building up in the first place; as if your shoe had a nonstick coating."
Her simple analogy is consistent with consumer testing that she says reveals that the non-technical customer understands the objective even if they don't know, or don't care, about the technology behind it.
The technology is based on detergent technology that provides improved oil stability the creates a protective coating that shields against deposit formation.
Havoline will be offering its new Deposit Shield formula in conventional, high-mileage and synthetic-blend formulas, which are available in quarts and a new gallon size. Townley did say that the introduction will be accompanied by a price increase.

They probably are. But if you can take it to the next level for only 50 cents more or so, lets do it. I'll bet it is probably a Grp2+, Grp3 blend. Should be good oil.

Quote:

They probably are. But if you can take it to the next level for only 50 cents more or so, lets do it. I'll bet it is probably a Grp2+, Grp3 blend. Should be good oil.

I hope, but like anything, time will tell.
wink.gif

I agree with toocrazy. The SM GF-4 spec should have addressed the deposit issue. Using a high quality synthetic from the start would be the best choice if you're willing to spend the $$.

I agree with your and TC2Y's comments that current API certification probably require better detergent/dispersants than any previous certification, buster. But, anything can be improved. Kudos to BP and Chevron at not waiting until the next service category to release even better cleaning chemistry. Maybe think "SM½"?

Guys, I just bit the bullet and loaded-up on Havoline at 1.55/quart at AAP. Bought enough to last me 2 years.
banana.gif

That should be enough time for us to decide whether the "Deposit shield" is a hoax to justify the increase in price or not. They'll eventually get me, but 2 years is a mighty long time!
starwars.gif

Quote:

Guys, I just bit the bullet and loaded-up on Havoline at 1.55/quart at AAP. Bought enough to last me 2 years.
banana.gif

I still have 19 qts of "Old SM" Havoline. I'll bet by the time I run out the new Havoline will be a promotion item for $1.99 or less. BOGO's are nice too. It not like it is a bad oil.

I'm all worried now, Havoline is my favorite dino. Watch it end up looking like Valvoline AC on paper. Why can't they leave well enough alone! I guess I'm going back to pennzoil for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back