ATF through intake as cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done this instead of seafoam? some say its great. some say its not. some put it in the gas tank. some through the brake booster vacuum hose. anyone have any experience? Think there will be harm to cat? plugs?

I know it messed up an old weedwacker I tried ATF in.

The ATF cleaning method is pretty "old skool". I have read on this site, concerns having to do with how clean ATF would burn and that it may leave deposits in the engine.

Too many additives to burn, to few additives to be run in the crankcase. Every so often the question of running it as an engine flush comes up and thats how its generally responded to. I think you will be MUCH more pleased with how well Seafoam or B12 would clean through the intake method than ATF. ATF isnt made for aggressive cleaning, and its deffinately not made to be burned in the engine.

I would be concerned about the additives in ATF possibly fouling the O2 sensor or the cat as well.

Personally I would say pick up a can of B12(3.21 at walmart) or Seafoam(5.44 at AA) and fog your 'hood like its london!
laugh.gif

Let the tranny keep the ATF fluid.

ATF as intake (valves, combustion chamber) cleaner? LOL! Send me your before and after photos !

(* I would go with psudaytona's advise if I were you*)

Quote:

Has anyone done this instead of seafoam? some say its great. some say its not. some put it in the gas tank. some through the brake booster vacuum hose. anyone have any experience? Think there will be harm to cat? plugs?

I've heard of "old timers" dumping ATF into the top end when a vehicle/engine will be dormant for a LONG time....but as far as cleaning....
shocked.gif

Yeah its Old School and "STILL" does a decent job of cleaning the topend of a pushrod V8.Difference today is we no longer burn leaded fuel and the need for "harsh/aggressive" type cleaners arent needed.
I still run it in tank on Cat,Cummins and Detroit Class 8 motors.
But the bottomline is it will still clean as described so be ready to pull the plugs and remove the "chunks"
laugh.gif

SS/LS

LOL! Sure! you can run it in compression combustion engines like diesels, but have you try that on an ignition combustion engines?

Oh and BTW:

".....Difference today is we no longer burn leaded fuel and the need for "harsh/aggressive" type cleaners arent needed...."

I do not agree with this one, citing the detrimental effects of tetraethyl lead back in those old "leaded" gas days. Do you know how often you get lead fouling in your combustion chamber+ spark plugs?

I think i may try it. either that or just plain water. changed my plugs today and i was.........disgusted.

I just bought a Hemi and would be interested in a top end cleaner. I know we put ATF it in our deseil semi fuel tanks at work. I wonder if it would work in a Gas Hemi Truck.

No!!! Their is nothing in ATF that can clean any part of an internal combustion engine either through the fuel or in the oil. It is a complete myth. You might as well rub a patato on a wart and bury it under your yard dureing a full moon. The above is a wart removal ritual that was once practiced a lot in this country and does not work!

You can get away with adding oil to diesel fuel and it will not hurt performance or lead to excessive deposits. A diesel operates at much higher presures and tempatures. The ATF being added to the diesel is not being added to keep anything clean. People think that this is going to add back the lubpricity that has been removed fromt he fuel to make it burn cleaner. I do not know if it really does anyting for the fuel related parts or not. I do know that many diesel mechanic claim that only ester based lubes like those used in synthetic two cycle lubes and some used in jet turbine oil are truly effective to add lubpricity back to the fuel! I think I read this in relationship to all of the standyne pump failure GM was haveing.

ATF has a low flash point since it was not designed for use anyplace where combustion or high temps are to be encontered. It has almost no additives at all compared to plain cheap motor oil. THe base oils used in ATF burn really dirty since they were never designed to be burnt. Most ATF's are not a base like motor oil so you get PH clash when added to motor oil as well.

Why not use intake/TB cleaner? It is made for this purpose, doesn't harm the oil or cat and is available everywhere.

-T

GM TEC (Top Engine Cleaner) was designed to remove carbon deposits from combustion chambers. Runs about $7.00 a bottle and works quite well.

Frank D

Quote:

GM TEC (Top Engine Cleaner) was designed to remove carbon deposits from combustion chambers. Runs about $7.00 a bottle and works quite well.

Frank D

Seafoam was designed to do this too but after 2 treatments my piston tops look like an unclean bbq grill. somehow the white smoke thing just isnt convincing me. (especially since carbon burning yeilds black smoke and oil burning yields blue smoke so all of that white smoke cant be either of those).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back