GM 3.8 Supercharger Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
What type of oil goes in the supercharger of the 3.8 that they sold
do many of. Now I'm not talking about engine oil but the seperate
oil they put in the supercharger itself. I'm also not interested in a
GM part # but what the heck is the type of oil they use.
Thanks,
Craig

Some have been using Mobil-1 5W-30, but the GM stuff is different. Looks, feel, smell, taste, etc.
Most don't recommend anything but the GM stuff; it's not that expensive.
Might try a google for Eaton, they make the supercharger, they may have some info about what oil is good.
My 2¢
color.gif

Use the GM stuff, it is nothing like motor oil. It's around $8 a bottle, but it's cheap insurance.

yes it's not regular motor oil it's made specifically for high performance superchargers, smells like some kind of animal fat oil

Comes in a 4 oz. bottle. The capacity for your supercharger is 6.5 ozs. So you'll need 2 bottles @ 7.95 each. Oh yeah... don't think this is too expensive and waste time (like I did) because there is NO substitute oil. The closest thing is some sort of lube that Jet Engines use, but that only comes in a 55 gal. drum. I did mine and it had 90,000 miles on it. The odiforous emmination from this stuff leads me to believe it is a fatty acid by-product, perhaps from whale oil? Use the "turkey baster" and do yourself as this is simple.
SUPERCHARGER OIL:
1 #12345982
Grade 8.800
CAUTION ; May cause skin and eye irritation.

I went through the same thing with an MR2 supercharger. The oil is different and without a complete knowledge of the subject why would you use anything other than the factory supplied oil? It's just a bad bet to do anything else.

I had a company car, buick with the 3.8L SC. Changed the SC oil to Amsoil 0W30 and ran that for 30,000 miles with no problem from the SC. have another one now and staying with the Gm stuff but expensive compared to the Amsoil. THE GM oil is thicker and does have some odor. Changing it depends on whether it stays clean. After my fist change it does seem to stay clear now but the first 20-30,000 did get the oil dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back