Snowmobile Drive Chain Lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Yamaha snowmovbile calls for a API GL3 75 or 80 weight. Is there a listing of the differences between the GL ratings on the site? I typically use redline gear oils but it does not appear they have something that is compatible. The superlight weight shockproof looks close...

Jason

That looks like some good stuff!

As you mentioned, it does not say anything about GL-3. I'm sure either GL4 or GL5 is compatible, I just do not know which.
crazy.gif

Jason

Quote:

That looks like some good stuff!

As you mentioned, it does not say anything about GL-3. I'm sure either GL4 or GL5 is compatible, I just do not know which.
crazy.gif

Jason

the 75w90 says GL-4,,so ithink that would be better than 3.
dunno.gif

I use a Shell product that is specifically labled for sleds. Kind of reddish-orange and stinks to high heaven. I believe that it is an "Advance" synthetic product.

John.

Quote:

I use a Shell product that is specifically labled for sleds. Kind of reddish-orange and stinks to high heaven. I believe that it is an "Advance" synthetic product.

John.

Gota link or a pic.????

jason, I've run em for years with anything from atf to 90w hypoid, mine has 10w30 in it now FWIW. If you maintain your sled and change the fluid at the end of every season and pull the stick on it a few time through the year almost anything that passes for oil for will work (basically what gl-3 is).
Manufactures know that they often get neglected and may get run till something fails. So they sometimes include some solid type lubricant in their oil formulation, like moly or graphite. The idea is when the drive shaft seal has completely failed leaked all the fluid out and let water in, hopefully there be enough solid film left to keep the parts somewhat lubed.

Not a bash of the amsoil, but a bud couldn't keep it in his mountain cat, switched to thicker outboard lower case lube and it stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back