Bad PCV = Higher oil consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 3,500 on MC 5w-20 and when I checked the oil this morning it was down about 1/2qt, which is higher than normal. I now have about 53k on the engine. I'm wondering if I should check the PCV valve? Manual doesn't say when to check it for this car.

I'm really annoyed this car uses oil. I don't know if it's due to how I broke it in, or just the nature of the engine. The Honda 2.4L doesn't seem to be an oil burner from what I read. It could be the way I drive too. So far, only the Japanese cars I've owned have burned oil. My Dodge Ram and Ex's Ford Focus didn't use a drop. It's real pet peeve of mine when cars burn oil bc I drive so much and I don't like doing it. I might switch to a synthetic 30wt to see if that helps.

The next car I buy will get a good break-in with WOT/High Load right off the lot. I do think that helps.

Have you driven at (really) high speed for a long time lately?
Do you have suction on the fresh air side of PCV system at idle?

I've got 62K on my car, and it does not burn any detectable amount of oil during 6k miles OCI. My catch can traps about 1oz/1000mi of goo though.

I drive 80mph for 100 miles a day 5 days a week.

Buster, I have that engine and have never been more than 3/4 a quart down over 5-6k miles. I think it has the potential as I was always getting a burnt oil smell when new. I never got much noticeable at first but I'd have a nice black ring where the pcv was misting oil back onto the air filter. Now, this is on a 2002 CR-V, so it was one of the first years for that engine. Who knows what tiny changes have been made.

Thanks, yeah I'm not really sure if it's bc of the way I drive, pcv valve or how I broke it in. I realize that some oil usage is normal and actually beneficial, but on this particular engine, there are people going 10k miles with zero oil loss. This is why I'm looking into it. The high speed driving would be my #1 guess as to why it's consuming some oil.

I've got the same 2.4 and oddly, though my initial burnt smell experience was by driving 120 miles highway per day. The consupmtion didn't come until my wife took it over and drives maybe 30 miles per day, half highway, half stop and go...

pat2.gif
hide.gif
umm....I re-checked it on the same spot I normally used to check it at before I moved. It appears to be perfectly level. No oil usage as of now. This car is so hard to check the oil level!! The apartment complex I'm in doesn't have the flattest of parking spaces. They are all graded for rain run off but you would swear some of them :t are flat. Ok, I'm fair game to get ripped on...fire away.
bop.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

I drive 80mph for 100 miles a day 5 days a week.

I think you found the answer right there. Some of the 80s turn into 85 without looking. Some accelerating at that speed is going uphill too - when engines strain the most.

When my Colorado was relatively new at 3K, I was anticiapting two trips that summer thru the Adorondick and Catskill Mountains - putting 5K on the Colorado during those trips. At 3.5K I did my first oil change & put in Mobil-1 with a full bottle of VSOT. Two OCIs later with absolutely no oil usage/consumption to date, I still use a half-bottle of VSOT... now approaching 20K.

I would suggest the same VSOT approach when you purchase again. Putting it in now may help reduce your consumption - but not eliminate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back