Polaris Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new Polaris 500 X2 last month, and began looking into all the oils spec'd for this machine. Its nuts. All sorts of speacial NAME BRAND ONLY fluids. The tranny and front diff are not given any alternitives either...only the Polaris brand stuff. Isnt that against the warrenty act? The magnusen moss something act? Where manufacutres cannot claim to use there brand maintence products only, without providing them for free? Why isnt Polaris abiding by this?

And finally. Does anyone know what the Front Hub drive fluid really is? What is the tranny oil? WHO MAKES THESE OILS??? It sayss manufacutured by Polaris, but I cant find any documentation that proves Polaris blends their own oil. Can any one help?

It's very important to use the proper fluid in the front hub to make the AWD work properly.go to www.atvfrontier.com for some good info on you quad
smile.gif

I have a 2001 Sportsman. The engines are the same, but the transmission and hubs are a little different on the newer one (2004 or 2005+). Use 0W40 synthetic in the engine (I use Amsoil). The old style hubs used ATF. The manual said to use Polaris hub fluid or Type F ATF, but I know a lot of people that use Mobil 1 ATF with good results. I think the new hubs are integrated into the front gearbox and share fluid with it. I believe that the front gearboxes now take the hub fluid or ATF. I am not sure on the rear-end, it either takes a chain-case oil or an 80W90 gear oil, but I am not sure on that. I will try to find out and get back to you. The Polaris oil isn't too terribly priced, so don't be afraid to use it.

North Coast used to blend them. I've bought straight from them in the past but the site isn't up anymore. Search Arctic blue and Arctic extreme and you might find their product line.

Mag-Moss is kind of a joke and seems to be used more for marketing than any real world consumer protection. I asked one multi level oil company to help me pursue it since they use it in their marketing, they wouldn't touch it either.

Manufacturers will tell you they only do their durability testing with their oils, not everything on the market. Anything else is an experiment. Think mag -moss only kicks in when they subscribe to a spec. like api sae or tcw, then anything that meets the spec is OK. By not listing a spec it puts the consumer "at your own risk" using other than the recomended fluid. Warrantee work can often be a haggle. Verbage on many oils imply it's safe for brand x, y or z but aways have that disclaimer "where this spec or that spec is called for". Many times the brands listed don't call for a spec or call for a different one, so the consumer is misled because they see the machines brand name in the advertising.

Quote:

I bought a new Polaris 500 X2 last month, and began looking into all the oils spec'd for this machine. Its nuts. All sorts of speacial NAME BRAND ONLY fluids. The tranny and front diff are not given any alternitives either...only the Polaris brand stuff. Isnt that against the warrenty act? The magnusen moss something act? Where manufacutres cannot claim to use there brand maintence products only, without providing them for free? Why isnt Polaris abiding by this?

And finally. Does anyone know what the Front Hub drive fluid really is? What is the tranny oil? WHO MAKES THESE OILS??? It sayss manufacutured by Polaris, but I cant find any documentation that proves Polaris blends their own oil. Can any one help?

Polaris must have hired the Harley Davidson oil Marketing Manager.........
laugh.gif

My 2001 manual states "acceptable substitutes" for Polaris fluids. Maybe they took it out in the newer manuals.

Quote:

My 2001 manual states "acceptable substitutes" for Polaris fluids. Maybe they took it out in the newer manuals.

Thats what I expected to find in small print or something...subsitutes that Polaris doesnt recomend using, but listed as something OTHER than their own brand. Funny how it is much the same game HD uses, as someone else mentioned. It burns my butt that so many believe Polaris oils to be special. And may be there are special amounts of additives, but there are alternitives that wont cause failure! To believe Polaris blends AND bottles their own magical fluids is ludicrous.

Anyway... I dug (and dug), found a MSDS, and someone else emailed Amsiol and got answers. Here are the findings...

http://msds.polarisindustries.com/Demand Drive hub Fluid _0407_.pdf

Polaris 0W-40 Premium Synthetic = Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke OW-40 (AFF)

Polaris Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant (AGL) part#2873602 =
Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic Chaincase Lube (TCC)

Polaris Premium ATV Angle Drive Fluid part#2871653 =
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil (SVG)

Polaris Premium Demand Drive Hub Fluid part#2871654 =
Amsoil Shock Therapy Light (STL)

Shock oil may sound funny, but it is technically hydralic oil, and come in various weights for finite dampning adjustments. From 0w,2.5w,5w,7.5w,10w,15w and 20w. From the specs on the MSDS, the fluid appears to be a 5w Hydralic oil.

I don't know if anyone thinks there is anything magical about Polaris branded lubes, but I definitely don't think there is anything wrong with them either. I had the name of the blender in the Twin Cities that was supposedly blending the oil for Polaris, I will try and dig it up. They aren't overpriced at my local dealer, they are the same or a little cheaper than Amsoil products. I have used the Polaris 0W40 eith no problems, but I personally use Amsoil 0W40 in the engine and go with the Polaris lubes for the transmission and hubs. I use any 80W90 gear oil in the front-end. I have a 2001, so the hubs are separate from the front-end and transmission, so they will be a little different setup than the new ones. All in all it has been a rock solid reliable machine that gets used in temps from -20 to 100. I change all fluids once a year and the hubs a couple times a year.

Harley Davidson has most of their oils made by Citgo (our buddy Hugo Chavez) and that's ok but they have very little technical info on any packaging on purpose. The syn3 oil they sell is a Group III synthetic and is ok but M1, Amsoil, Redline & RP are all superior. It amazes me why the dealerships dont' sell any of those. Polaris obviously does the same thing.....do these guys really think their customers are that stupid? It's like when I took the wifes Lexus in for an oil change at the dealer. I asked the guy what oil they were using......answer " Lexus Oil" of course. Then I asked him if the Lexus refinery was in the US or Japan. He just walked away.

Its not a queston of being able to aford the polaris or any other manufacture fluid. Its the idea of being forced to buy overpriced fluids from the stealer. All the manufactures are jumping on the exlusive magic fluid gravy train.
spankme.gif

Quote:

Its not a queston of being able to aford the polaris or any other manufacture fluid. Its the idea of being forced to buy overpriced fluids from the stealer. All the manufactures are jumping on the exlusive magic fluid gravy train.
spankme.gif

They can't force you to do anything. You can't blame Polaris, they are just trying to make a buck like every other company. Like I said my manual states that any API SH or greater oil in acceptable as a substitute for the Polaris oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back