175 degree oil temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the Harley out for about 15 mile ride a little while ago. It's a beautiful night here, about 60 degrees. I never went over 50 mph for the whole ride and most of it was at around 45 mph in 4th gear. Oil temp when I got back was 175 degrees. On the ride from the dealership this afternoon, which was all Interstate at 60-65 mph, the oil temp was 149 degrees when I shut it down. This seems rather cool to me. If temps like these are typical, I don't see why Harley specs 20w50. I think I'm probably going to run Rotella 15w40 at the first oil change.

The rubber isolation engine mounts on these newer Sportsters make this bike a real pleasure to ride. You still feel the familiar v-twin Harley throb, but it doesn't shake the whole bike like in the old days. The last time I rode on a Harley was in 1977 and the vibration in the handle bars was awful. The rearview mirrors shook so much they were useless. The whole bike felt like it was going to shake to pieces as you ran up the revs through the gears. You don't get anything like that in my Sportster.

You're taking it easy and it's cool out. Doesn't sound like you spent a lot of time in traffic either.

You are aware of the effects of temperature and oil viscosity and know what temperature your oil is. You are in a good position to change viscosity for riding conditions.

What are you using for an oil temperature gauge?

It would also be a good idea to find out what the design oil operating temperatures are for that engine. IIRC, it's ball bearings on the crank so Harley may have had different design objectives than car companies when the picked a viscosity

Quote:

What are you using for an oil temperature gauge?

I got the optional oil fill cap/dipstick that has a temp gauge built in.

20030621-SPORTSTER=OILCHANGE0040.jpg

Quote:

No warning sticker? How do you know to not watch it while you're riding down the road?
banana.gif

You can't watch it while you're seated. Remember, the Harley is dry sump. The cap screws into the oil tank and is covered by your right thigh while you're riding.

Some guys I know run M115w50 in the Winter and 20w50 in the Summer. But I ran 20w50 all year in my Sporty but it just too an extra few minutes to warm up. Try some M1 75w90 gear oil in the trans/primary......it worked well for me.

G-Man,

What is it factory filled with? The 360 oil or the Synthetic (I ask because I don't know what they are doing these days).

I find that the Amsoil 20W50 seems to run on average about 25 degrees cooler than the conventional stuff. I would think that most synthetics probably do as well, so the Harley synthetic might keep things cool.

Trust me, you will get that oil temp up higher. Spend some time in traffic, I've got conventional up over 300 degrees (part of the reason I went to synthetic).

Also, my wifes Fat Boy runs 25-50 degrees hotter than my Road King. I don't know if it is because it is a TC88 and I have a Evo or that it is a dry sump versus a traditional sump (well and there is capacity too). She always questions me why her oil temp is so much higher than mine. I just tell her because it's the "King" and that's all you need to know...

Just a word of advice, if you plan on parking someplace that is a little "risky" you might want to put the stock dipstick back on (or make sure you have a rag with you). Those dipsticks have a way of wandering off - especially at bike rallies. With a dry sump, you will know quickly when hot oil starts spurting all over the bottom of your right thigh.

Congrats on the sportster. Keep the rubber side down...

Quote:

Also, my wifes Fat Boy runs 25-50 degrees hotter than my Road King. I don't know if it is because it is a TC88 and I have a Evo or that it is a dry sump versus a traditional sump (well and there is capacity too).

confused.gif

I'm almost 100% sure that all Harley v-twins have always been dry sump: Flat head, knuckle head, pan head, shovel head, Evo, original Sportster, Evo Sportster, TC88, and the new TC96...all of 'em. (The Revolution used in the VROD may be wet sump; I'm not sure about that one.)

And thanks for the tip about the oil cap. I hadn't even considered that.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Does the temp guage dip stick pop up and then pop flush like the stock dip stick?

Nope, it just screws in and out. No pop up feature.

Quote:

confused.gif

I'm almost 100% sure that all Harley v-twins have always been dry sump: Flat head, knuckle head, pan head, shovel head, Evo, original Sportster, Evo Sportster, TC88, and the new TC96...all of 'em. (The Revolution used in the VROD may be wet sump; I'm not sure about that one.)

Well, I kind of mis-spoke. It is a dry sump, but I kind of consider it a semi-dry sump on the touring models. The oiling system does work the same way (dry sump) in all the bikes, but there is a huge oil pan (well, it should be "oil tank") at the bottom of the touring models that makes it appear to be a wet sump.

My point was that the large oil tank at the bottom allows for much better oil cooling than the sportsters or the softails. But, yes, you are right they are all dry sumps (although I don't know about the VROD either - I can't imagine it being a wet sump but you never know).
grin.gif

If I can throw $.02 worth..if your going to run a diesel oil for the winter go with MC 15-40..I had a pretty good UOL with it on my Evo..run at least a 20-50 in the summer months..it gets really hot in traffic..

Quote:

Also, my wifes Fat Boy runs 25-50 degrees hotter than my Road King. I don't know if it is because it is a TC88 and I have a Evo or that it is a dry sump versus a traditional sump (well and there is capacity too). She always questions me why her oil temp is so much higher than mine. I just tell her because it's the "King" and that's all you need to know...

ALl the TC88's run hotter than the Evo.....the TC96 is even hotter....synthetic oil is the only way to go.
wink.gif

The Road King also holds about a quart more oil than the Fat Boy. In a dry sump engine, that could be the difference in oil temp between the two. Also, the sump on the RK in under the transmission, which is more in the airflow than the oil bag on the FB.

Quote:

Quote:

I think I'm probably going to run Rotella 15w40 at the first oil change.

I'd like to see a CJ-4 15w40 oil in action.

You'll probably have to wait a little longer. Terry has recommended I not use Rotella in my Harley.

I would be using SF's 20w50.
If I could not get that either Reline 10w40 or 20w50 depending on the outside temps.
That is if cost is not a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back