Hmm...quicker than I thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading up on 07 Sportster with the new fuel injected engine. Zero to 60 in around 4 seconds and 1/4 mile in 12.9.

I realize these numbers are not all that good compared to most of the Japanese racer-type bikes you see on the road, but I honestly didn't think the Sportster was this quick. Heck, the Yamaha 350 I had back in 1973 could match those numbers. But it's still not bad for a 600lb bike with a low-reving v-twin.

Quote:

Did you go with the 1200 or 883? Cangrats and enjoy the new friend!

The 883. Zero to 60 in 4 seconds is plenty powerful for me.

And from what I reading, a simple $150 upgrade on the pipes can yield a 15 RWHP increase, which would put the power up to where the 1200 is anyway.

Quote:

But it's still not bad for a 600lb bike with a low-reving v-twin.

The joys of the low-revving V-Twin, low-rpm torque
ooo.gif
cheers.gif

G-MAN, a perfectly matched, complete, stage I kit may increase power by 15 at the wheel if the A/C, pipes and download are perfect. In which case, you will be at the performance level of a stock 1200.

Harley's won't ever out run metric bikes. I had a 1974 Yamaha Modified RD350 and it would out run my 2006 TC88 Lowrider. But now I am all about cruising. If you Stage2 or STage3 an 883 it will run the wheels off a 1200. I had a 2005 883 and it was a lot of fun but traded it for my TC88 when the dealer had a big Winter sale in January. But the 883 is a fun bike.

Quote:

Harley's won't ever out run metric bikes. I had a 1974 Yamaha Modified RD350 and it would out run my 2006 TC88 Lowrider. But now I am all about cruising. If you Stage2 or STage3 an 883 it will run the wheels off a 1200. I had a 2005 883 and it was a lot of fun but traded it for my TC88 when the dealer had a big Winter sale in January. But the 883 is a fun bike.

The 88's are usually slower then the Sportsters. I have smoked every 88 I have raced on my Sportster and I mean really SMOKED!!!!! The 88's are to heavy. A hopped up Sporty will out run every metric bike in it's class. Even stock for stock the Sporty is pretty quick in it's class. When I was looking to buy speed was pretty important to me and in every compairson I could find pitting the Sporster against Metrics in the same class the Sportys were always a bit faster.

GMAN, was it an RD350 you had? My dad still has his that he got when he was 16 in our garage. It was his 2nd bike after a Honda 125. I think its a 1973. It needs to be restored someday. He says it was really fast for the size of it.

Chris, if I'm ever in Colo. or you're ever in Ill. I'll show you what a TC can do. I'll admit it is a little slower than my Sporster, but there aren't too many Sportys that will beat it. But, then again, I get a little crazy (stupid?) when it comes to spending money on engine mods.

Last edited:
Quote:

GMAN, was it an RD350 you had? My dad still has his that he got when he was 16 in our garage. It was his 2nd bike after a Honda 125. I think its a 1973. It needs to be restored someday. He says it was really fast for the size of it.

I had a 74 Rd350 that had been re-workde by a Yami wrench...it was unbelievably fast and had a 6speed way back then...incredible bike.

Quote:

Quote:

The 88's are usually slower then the Sportsters. I have smoked every 88 I have raced on my Sportster and I mean really SMOKED!!!!! The 88's are to heavy. A hopped up Sporty will out run every metric bike in it's class. Even stock for stock the Sporty is pretty quick in it's class. When I was looking to buy speed was pretty important to me and in every compairson I could find pitting the Sporster against Metrics in the same class the Sportys were always a bit faster.

The sportster is the second fastest bike Harley makes with the Vrod being the fastest. But I had the stage1 done on my TC88 and it is probably very close to the 1200 sporty. But FYI, my insurance is only $12/year more for the >1000cc bike.
grin.gif

Quote:

Nope. Mine was a 72 R5-C, which was the immediate predecessor to the RD350, which came out in 73. It looked just like this one, same color and everything. Mine didn't have the cafe bars, however. I just had the std pull back bars. Man I loved that bike.

Keep in mind I got it when I was in the 9th grade and all my friends were riding Honda 100s and 125s, and one had a 175 twin. I could blow 'em all away. Heck, the R5-C could blow away just anything at that time up to about 500cc. I rode it up through my junior year in high school. That year a friend of mine got a new Kawasaki 400 twin 4-stroke, and even he couldn't take me up to about 80mph. Zero to 60 I'd smoke him every time.
grin.gif

Quote:

Chris, if I'm ever in Colo. or you're ever in Ill. I'll show you what a TC can do. I'll admit it is a little slower than my Sporster, but there aren't too many Sportys that will beat it. But, then again, I get a little crazy (stupid?) when it comes to spending money on engine mods.

Your on!! Hopefully my engine mads will be done by then!!
laugh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Harley's won't ever out run metric bikes.

Stock vs. stock maybe but my 88" Sporty does just fine against crotch rockets.

Until you run across a crotch rocket with the same $$$ mods in it that your sporty has.

Or a stock 900cc+ crotch rocket with a competent rider.

The metrics can't touch this...

1destroyer.jpg

And yes, it's a production motorcycle. All that it needs to be street legal is a grooved rear tire, which are available.

These are doing just over 9 seconds in the 1/4 mile--about 1/2 second faster than the Suzuki Hayabusa.

But of course they ain't cheap.
blush.gif

Dan

Quote:

Quote:

Harley's won't ever out run metric bikes.

Stock vs. stock maybe but my 88" Sporty does just fine against crotch rockets.

Too bad you were not closer cause I can promise that stock for stock you would think your bike had reverse
laugh.gif

Those are some good times. Only 3 seconds off current 1k sportbikes. Then again 3 seconds is an eternity in racing...still better times than I would have thought.

ops. I misread your post and cant figure out how to edit it. lol

Still I cant believe it would hang with a sportbike unless you have some serious $$$$$ in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back