New Diesel in Kerosene heater??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know where to post this so thought I'd most likely find an answer here.
Do you think I could use the new low sulpher diesel in a space heater. K1 has gone to $6.00 a gal here and I'm too old to work in the cold.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Quote:

K1 has gone to $6.00 a gal here

Geeeeez. That's a lot.
I picked up a used kerosene heater last spring and haven't tried to get any kerosene or operate it yet. I know it's holding steady at $3.89/gallon. There is one service station that has it listed on the sign.

I was looking at a space heater fired by kerosene myself. They were on sale at Princess Auto. Asked a friend who has one what the side effects would be if I ran it on diesel
stirthepot.gif
. He actually has 2 and he has been running them on nothing but marked farm diesel for many years. He has yet to see any problems that were associated with the diesel. I am taking about the heaters that I refer to as a 'Herman Nelson'. They have a horizontal burner tube with the ignitor at the back and the tank on the bottom. Think I might go buy one, we're looking at -25 or 30C for the next few days.

So you could run diesel from the gas station in a kerosene heater? We usually buy 5 gallon jugs of kerosene from Irving gas stations and it's usually 55-60 bucks with tax. I wonder if running low sulfur diesel would be any cheaper.. Our kerosene heater looks this this:

Rad-40_1.jpg

Howard: I've had the type you refer to in my shop and they will run almost anything. Actually ran JP4 jet fuel and talk about HEAT.
55: That is the type heater I have and it sounds like K1 is expensive where you live also.
DKCASE: I'm in a small town and the only vender pumped the red stuff up until last year now it's omly available in 5gal tins from a camping store. I just can't bring myself to pay that kind of money.

It just stinks more. If you are using the diesel in the kero heater in the garage, I wouldn't worry. In the house though - might be stinky.

Wow, and I was thinking that the $2.98 per gallon that I'm paying was a lot. I was tempted to buy diesel at $2.79 a gallon but it's a borrowed heater so I didn't.

We use kerosene heaters, we once used a 50/50 mixture of kerosene and mineral spirits (which has increased in price as well) but it seemed to burn faster. I recall people buying kerosene from my dad stating that they ran a mixture of the two with no problems. We never tried it though.

The heaters should work fine on diesel/No.2 fuel oil or No. 1 fuel oil just fine just maybe more smelly. Real K1 kerosene should be very clean burning if the heater is properly maintained. The stuff some places sell at pumps as K1 is actually No. 1 fuel oil.

I run farm diesel out of our bulk tanks in our kero heaters all the time. I don't know if they have EVER been run on kerosene! I additize our bulk fuel with Schaeffer's and it makes it less smoky/smell than without an additive. You could run onroad diesel w/Diesel Kleen or the like a LOT cheaper than kerosene in most cases.

I wish I had some cheap motor oil burning heater...
I have 65qts of used oil laying around.. too lazy to hit autozone last couple of oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back