suspension fluid for cartridge forks 2006 YZ 250

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to find a cost effective alternative in replacing fork and shock fluid. Currently I use Kayaba 01
fluid. Is there a hydraulic fluid I can use at a lower cost? The specs on Kayaba is 15.6 cSt @ 40C and 3.45 cSt @100C and V.I 150. Any help on this would be appreciated!

you have to watch out when it comes to suspension fluid viscosity, two fluids may be the same at ay 100C but at room temperature one may be very thick while the other very thin.
for example. Harley Type E fluid at 210F is a 20w... so is another brands 20w but at room temperature or colder the type E is thin while the other brand 20w is very thick.
that means the Type E has a much higher Viscosity index and dose not thin out as much at higher temperatures.

How expensive is the Kayaba oil? It only takes a litre to do a pair of forks, so I don't know that there is much money to be saved.

wazzy,
you do realize that the 05 and on forks are now twin chamber and that the outer chamber oil is merely for lubing the tubes and adjusting the air spring. right?
that the oil weight (except at bottom out) has no relavience at all (within reason).

When it comes to suspension, you go with what works. You might experiment with different oils to see, but experimentation is not cheap Either.

If the 01 performs well in your bike, why change?

after you change the oil a time or 2 , the oil contamination will slow alot. Tyically on dirt bike I change after first couple rides when new, then when ever a seal blows and normally that was about once a year.

The whole experimentation thing was getting the oil height and settings perfect, changing to different oil you'll have to start over with testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back