How necessary is it to winterize a bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past summer I bought a '78 Honda CB 400A and I've gotten a lot of use (and fun) from bombing around on it. Now that cooler winter is starting to kick in, I'm wondering if it's really necessary to winterize this bike. My plan is to warm it up once a week and take it out for a spin of 10-15 mins; when not in use, the bike will be garaged (it's not heated, but it stays well above freezing).

I changed the oil about six months ago (~500 miles of riding), but the filter isn't due until the next oil change. Since I'm going to be starting/riding this bike occasionally during the winter, is it necessary to do an oil/filter change now or should I wait until Spring? Also, what about the gas tank? I doubt I'll burn much fuel up throughout the winter on these short rides, but it's inevitable that condensation will get in that old tank. My plan was to keep a gas can full of Stabil-treated gas and just add it to the tank after every warm-up/ride.

Oh yeah, one more thing: This bike has an automatic transmission. Is there anything special to consider about that? (Note: I've been using Rotella as my oil).

Thanks for any tips...

add Stabil, fill tank to brim. park bike on center stand and prop the rear of the swing arm enough so both wheels are off or barely touching groung (no flat spots developing) remove battery and place on trickle charger. did this with my 750F for years. ( I would change oil before parking but you have so little miles.. your call)

I am a "rounder" as well and will ride my bike on those nice days in the Winter. Stabil in the gas tank is a must and make certain you run it through the engine & fuel system. If you are starting the bike every 3-4 weeks you need to run it at least 15 miles to burn off the condensation in the engine. Do not start it in the garage for 5 minutes as this will cause condensation to form. With 500 miles on the oil you are probably ok. I have found that running machines all year is better than storage so I run mine about 100 miles a month in Jan/Fed and more in the other months. Good luck.

I wouldn't start at all unless you could ride it for at least an hour..if your electrical system is tite don't do a thing, charged batteries like the cold..fuel today is better than ever, couple, three, four months won't bother that either, keep the cap on, fill it full. I have 1400 mi. on my synthetic engine oil, may change that out before next winter maybe the winter after.

Fuel is only as good as your State regs and here in Ohio we don't have any so every fuel company dumps their $hit gas here. Stabil is a must here and if you have ever seen somebody have to clean an entire varnished fuel system you would think the $4 for a bottle at Wallyworld is cheap insurance. You are right about the battery. I replace mine every 3 years anyway.

You may wish to consider changing the brake fluid annually. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (soaks up water) and can cause a variety of brake problems if corrosion occurs. Your Honda with auto transmission can sit for the winter if the oil TBN is still good. The battery will need attention and Stabil should be in the fuel tank (keep it full) as others have recommended. I usually wet cylinders (a little oil through the sparkplug hole and turn the engine over several turns and refit the plugs) with Rislone during long winter layups. Also, mice and other critters have been known to build nests in the air intake during layups so a screen over the air intake snorkel might be wise.

Keep the tank FULL with premium gas and Stabil. When going for your weekly ride, remember that it takes aproximately 20 minutes at 60-65 mph to bring the oil up to operating temp; less than that will result in condensation in the oil which will cause the oil to form corrosive acids. Keep a battery tender on the battery and make sure the acid level is where it's supposed to be. Check your tire pressure before your weekly rides.

Best wishes,

WIll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back