Need help with E85 fillup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found an E85 gas station near my home. After living in my city for 20 years, this was the first time I went there. It's Mobil; the pumps have corn pictures all over them.

My car is not compatible for E85, but it runs really wel with E10. I have a 14.9 gallon tank. How many gallons of E85 and 100% gasoline will be needed to make E10?

Lord, somebody break out an 8th grade math book...

Actually, since I'm bored I figured it out this way:

Let's say you have a 15 gallon tank to fill (I'm rounding to make this easier on my feeble brain). If you want that 15 gallon tank to contain 10% ethanol then you want 1.5 gallons of ethanol in it, right? And a gallon of E85 contain .85 gallons of ethanol. So, 1.5 / .85 = 1.76 gallons of E85.

I think that's right. Another way to look at it is to say 1.76 x .85 = 1.496. Close enough.

Now, as to why you would want to do this... well, that's over my head. If you're happy with less energy per gallon, go for it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've asked many students from University of Michigan Math department, and they were stumped. I asked my professor just in case.

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I've asked many students from University of Michigan Math department, and they were stumped. I asked my professor just in case.

Why does this not give me confidence in our education system??

ahahahh!!! USA ranked 25th in education
frown.gif

The saddest part is we're number one in the amount of money spent on education per student.Not exactly value for money.
confused.gif

Quote:

The saddest part is we're number one in the amount of money spent on education per student.Not exactly value for money.
confused.gif

just because you pour money in to a problem. doesnt mean it will fix it.
tounge2.gif

HappyHyundai - what state are you in? When I drove through Nebraska there were E85 pumps all over. I was tempted to stop but my car isn't E85 approved. I don't know bout everyone but I'd rather buy ethanol (made in USA) than gas (made in _________) (censored for political reasons).

I've compared my car with ethanol vs non-ethanol and I got the same MPG - maybe a hair less with ethanol. Some cars just don't like the ethanol I guess.
smile.gif

Wait wait,, didn't you help me with the simple math question? Maybe you forgot? I wanted to calculate on how many gallons of E85 I should mix with regular gasoline to get E10 gasoline. My car is E10 compatible.

Results: Better cold starting, same MPG and better idle.

Quote:

Wait wait,, didn't you help me with the simple math question? Maybe you forgot? I wanted to calculate on how many gallons of E85 I should mix with regular gasoline to get E10 gasoline. My car is E10 compatible.

Results: Better cold starting, same MPG and better idle.

Oh sorry, You werent' talking to me.

A word of caution here--do you know if the 10% allowable ethanol blend is by weight or by volume? I beleive that the major suppliers are blending by weight, not vol. Any experts comments please.

Be careful because a lot of Midwest states have 10% blends (E10) by law in all fuel sold unless specifically stated on the pump. The reason I say this is that you may already have a 10% blend in your so called 100% gasoline.

Minnesota requires 10% by law. Michigan eliminated the required labeling of it at the pumps a few years ago so now you can only tell by smelling it (so I hear). Make sure you know what you're buying when you buy regular gas. I hear Minn. is going to push for E20 as the mandatory fuel within a few years.

How does the Ethanol get you better cold starting? It might absorb the water in your gas and keep your lines from freezing but I was under the impression that 100% Ethanol doesn't start well at all in low temps. so it seems that adding 10% wouldn't be a help at all.

Quote:

Minnesota requires 10% by law. Michigan eliminated the required labeling of it at the pumps a few years ago so now you can only tell by smelling it (so I hear). Make sure you know what you're buying when you buy regular gas. I hear Minn. is going to push for E20 as the mandatory fuel within a few years.

How does the Ethanol get you better cold starting? It might absorb the water in your gas and keep your lines from freezing but I was under the impression that 100% Ethanol doesn't start well at all in low temps. so it seems that adding 10% wouldn't be a help at all.

I think pure ethanol is odorless, so you can't smell it. Moonshine doesn't smell until you taste it... Anyone that can smell 10% ethanol has got a better nose than me. I think you are right about ethanol not starting well in the cold. That is the reason they use 85% instead of 100% ethanol.

Yup just like hillclimber said, I was bored so I played with the numbers as well.

E85 = 1.75 gallons
Reg = 13.15 gallons

Another way to break this down to figure out a mixture is you need to find your target volume, in this case 10% ethanol in your gas.
E85 is 85% alcohol. 128oz per gallon .85 * 128 = 108.8 oz of ethanol per gallon.
For a 10% mix of eth you want .1 * (14.9 * 128) = 190.72ozs of ethanol in the tank.
190.72/108.8 = ~1.753 or 1.75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back