inexpensive bypass setup.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave, buy an Amsoil BP 80-A filter head, purchase the Amsoil Bypass EaO BE-90 and plumb with parts from the autostore using a good oil hose like aeroquip or equiv. One of the Reps can sell these Amsoil parts to you. The filter head and filter will cost you under 40 bucks.

Ohhhh Boy!!

Here we go again!

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=1#Post726953

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Make sure to use the BP80A filter head part and heres the rest from the thread md lucky 13 produced...

Use a good Aeroquip or that style hose. Make it your self or have them made for you. Use a 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch hose. Mount your BP80A where you can spin off the Bypass filter easy. Tap into your oil source and install the male brass fitting. Find where your going to return the oil to and install a male brass fitting there to. Run the hose from the oil source to the inlet side of the filter housing, and run the hose from the outlet side of the filter to your return oil location male fitting.

4-male Aeroquip type 3/8's or 1/4 inch fittings.

4-Female Aeroquip type fittings...one for each end of hose.

Aeroquip hose

Tube of teflon paste for fitting sealing.

I have build 4 systems around this setup and they work wonderfully. I would purchase the filter head and filter only and buy the rest of the parts from a hose distributor or trucking parts warehouse. You should be able to build the whole thing for under 60 dollars.

Just go with a Baldwin B50 filter and appropriate mount. Filters are about as inexpensive as it gets,(around $5.00), has it's own restrictor built into every filter, and the filter mount is not expensive either. I paid around $22.00 for my filter mount. You can also buy the Hasting filter if there is not a Baldwin dealer nearby. Same filter but has the Hastings label on it.. LF117 / The long version is a HF907, and shorter version is a LF334 nominal micron rating at 3µ and absolute at 7µ plenty tight to get out the majority of engine wearing material. Extends the life at least 5X and probably more. (from another website). Remember, bacteria is only 2µ in size.

Darth-Sidious.jpg

The newer Amsoil filters are allegedly down to 1um absolute. The older ones were 3um absolute.

NAPA/WIX has a filter head for the spin-on filters that Nebraskan is talking about. Available from any NAPA ..and probably fleetfilter.com for that matter
dunno.gif

Part Number: 24755
UPC Number: 765809247550
Principal Application: By-Pass Filter Base to Add Spin-on By-Pass Filter on Small Gas and Diesel Engines. (51050, 51051 or 51320 May be Used)
All Applications
Style: Filter Mounting Base
Service: Base
Note: Lube Filter Conversion Kits By-Pass Filter For Small Gas And Diesel Engines

Large Gas and Diesel engine equipped with cartridge type by-pass filters can be converted to the convenience of a spin-on with this kit. The kit may also be used to add-on supplemental by-pass filtration to provide increased engine protection. A choice of three different sized filters are available.

I got lots of great input from the sandwich adapter thread

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=2#Post605626

but thought I'd report my install here because what I did is similar to some of the ideas in this thread.

I installed a Balwin OB1305 mount with BT341 (short version of B50/B164) on a 2001 Subaru Forester with 90K miles. I tapped the supply from an unused block plug and returned to the oil filter cap. Here's how I got to this setup - BTW, I know there are plenty of you who will take issue with my reasoning - but here goes.

First, I choose the Balwin gear based on fit and being adequate for my purposes. In the space I chose to mount the filter, the Amsoil filters were too long, by about a half inch, and the oilguard and motorguard units had install geometry problems also. The Balwin unit fit nicely. My purpose was only to comfortably (my comfort) extend the OCI with synthetic oil to one year on a car that goes about 10-12K per year, without the bother of UOA (I know many of you don't consider UOA a bother - I do).

Second, I tapped the unused block plug for the supply because I thought it would make a neat install, without the need to tamper at all with the FFF. It worked, but if I had known what a PITA it would be to install, I would have used a sandwich adapter for the high pressure supply. I didn't use a sandwich adapter supply and return because the BT341 has a built in pressure drop orifice and Balwin claims it is designed for the full pressure drop.

Third, I returned to the oil filler cap because it was convenient and is a long way from the PCV valve. It also created the unexpected (to me) benefit of being able to lift the cap and see the flow rate (which looked about right to me)

Costs:
1. Mount and filter- $30 at local fleet supplier
2. Amsoil BP89 oil cap return- about $8 (minimal shipping cost because I combined with other stuff in the order)
3. Block plug adapter from WRXTRA- $30 including S&H
4. Hoses (42" and 33", 2700 psi hose) and fittings - $65 from local hydraulic supply house. This was probably more than I needed to spend, but I was having trouble finding what I wanted on-line, so spent the money at the local shop to just get something I knew would work.
5. Research and install - countless hours (but I could do the next one in a couple of hours including the shopping)

Total cost = $133 (including MA tax at 5%). I had been hoping to get by for about $100, but spent twice what I planned on the hoses and fittings.

Sorry for the long post. I'll put pictures in another post - I forgot to get them onto a URL before starting this one.

I guess I need some instructions on how to post pictures. I tried to use a web host I have used on other forums, but got a "not supported" message here. I probably missed reading something up front.

Go to the site where the image is hosted. Copy the URL of the pics. On this website, click reply, then click the Image hyperlink in the Instand UBB Ccode area. Paste the URL.

That's what I did, and tried again tonight, but I get a message that the site on which my pictures are posted is not supported. Is there a list of supported sites for pictures on this forum?

The pictures themselves are jpg files. I think the problem is that the web site I put them on doesn't have an arrangement with this forum - it does work with some other auto forums I participate in.

Quote:

..Is there a list of supported sites for pictures on this forum?

I use www.webshots.com ..once you set up an account (free) you can upload pictures then link to them from the forum. Webshots recently added some nice features that automatically produce the UBB code to paste here ... it shows a small thumbnail pic the will enlarge when you click on it ... like this ...

smile.gif

I recently changed the plumbing on my Motorguard from a sandwich adapter to the "classic" method because the sandwich setup was taking too long to heat up.

I left the sandwich adapter on as the pressure source but took the supply from the filter side of the sandwich, the side after the 2 psi valve. This is normally the return side. I plugged the engine side outlet. I drained the MG to the valve cover. Both source and drain are AN 4 size lines.

Because of this I installed an .064" orifice in the drain fitting by machining a drilled brass plug for an interference fit within the ID of the fitting. To my surprise when I checked flow with hot oil I was getting less than 1/8 quart/min. I increased the orifice several times until finally reaching .125" which still only got me 1/4 quart/min. In the end I removed the drilled plug completely which resulted in a tad over 1/2 quart/min. So I'm running this thing with no "external" orifice.

Anyone care to comment on why this is? Ralph? Gary? Is the the valve in the sandwich limiting flow to the filter because I picked off from the "wrong" side? The oil is GC if that matters.

Webshots worked great - thanks. Now I just have to figure out how to post Graemlins!

Here is a general view of the engine bay, filter outlet hose leading to oil filler cap. Hose from block plug to filter visible in foreground.

Attachment to block plug - real PITA, but neat install once done

Looking down on OB1305 filter base - passenger side of car. Forester owners will be able to easily find the sheet metal I attached to.

View from driver's to passenger's side

man, this is confusing now! pressure differences, flow rates,orifices,etc... which is the cheapest,simplest setup?amsoil,baldwin? it's for a saturn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back