Cleaning a PCV valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I was told it is not really possible to get another PCV valve from anywhere for my car. It's the Japanese way. WHat should I do to clean it up? Just run some carb cleaner throug h it, soak it in kersone, compressed air? I can hear it when I shake it, but it's on an ARX clean, and I want to make sure that the PCV isn't going to cause me any problems.

Shaman, why not just go to the stealer and buy one? I don't like them much either, but you lose your pcv function, you get SUCH a mess. I suppose there are things that mess up an engine worse if they fail, but the PCV has to be up there..

if it is a toyota camry? the valve is 8 buck and mo**** f***** gormet for that is also 8 bucks. I just changed it last weekend. I had to because I broke both. BTW I had to take valve cover off to take out gromet as it fell inside.

It's a Mazda AZ Wagon. I went to the Mazda dealership where the car was purchased. I was told they did not have them. I was also told that it would be very difficult to get one. I will try the Suzuki dealership and see if it will help me out this weekend.

Last edited:
I use throttle body cleaner that is safe for teflon based TB coating/shaft bushings. CRC (or in Japan it goes by the name KURE, CRC subsidiary in Japan) sells them and they are O2 sensor safe.

Just did a PCV valve cleaning job last weekend on my dad's 7th gen civic (those darn PCV valves are $$$). with 110,000kms on the clock and mostly 5W20/5W30 dino oil with LC, there's a light brown coating on the PCV valve body/intake part. A couple of spray bursts and then soaked for 5 mins before spray-rinse the PCV valve, it's now good as new.

Did the same thing to my wifey's Camry Vee6 (3VZ-FE) PCV valve and same thing: a light coating which came off quickly with a couple of quick CRC spray bursts.

If it rattles when shaking it's fine. You can clean it in a container and gasoline. That always worked for me it the past.

Quest, I have three different cans of Kure right now. Electronics, Clean-a-carb, and Foaming Engine Spray. i bought the electronics stuff when i was going to clean the MAF on my MS-8 that turned out to be a geriatic looking mute of some kind.

I do have a question about colors though. I heard that red has chlorinated propellant and the green doesn't. I haven't really seen any green cans. Is there another way of identifying the difference.

Last edited:
Shaman-

Yeah, I tend to concur with your understanding that red CRC can may come with chlorinated propellent, whereas the green can maybe a bit better for the environment.

My can of CRC throttle body cleaner comes in a red can.

I don't think that it really matters when it comes to cleaning effect for both of them colours seem to work just fine. I would, however, question the sensitivity of the cleaning chemicals used in the specific job knowing that there were some throttle body cleaner in that past that were so strong they would eat into the teflon bushings or coating s or similar, or cause extreme O-ring swelling due to the solvent it used within.

If you can get someone to send a message to KURE asking for the clarification RE: green vs red can, that would be great. Also: given the year/mileage you may have on your AZ wagon, I would seriously consider looking into replacing PCV valve and also give the throttle body a nice cleaning. I recently cleaned my wifey's Vee6 camry throttle body and that helps in restoring the "peppiness" during sudden throttle plate opening, no more jerking off kinda sensation.

Good luck on your AZ wagon. I always love those small K-cars particularly Suzuki Wagon-R, Cappuccino and also some small Dihatsu 660CC delivery vans. Oh how I wish I can own one of those here in Canada (it would be a blast though)

*grin*

The Wagon R is the same car.
I am looking for a PCV valve, but I am having no luck. Also, it isn't an enviroment concern as much as it is a bodily concern. If I get it on my hands or breathe it, I would rather have the less deadly stuff.

Try getting some PVC vinyl gloves while servicing your car.

Do you happen to have a pic and/or part # stamped on it? Mind if you share that info with me? (please make sure you put a ruler next to it so that I can see the measurement).

I might be able to locate something for you from here...

I got a pic taken, but I don't have a place to host it. I can email it to you. It's about 6 cm, one side says 6F27, and one side says 72B01, and the in and out are two different sizes. Post up or PM me your email and I will send it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back