Pennzoil Platinum Date Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been several questions concerning Pennzoil Platinum date codes. On two seperate post I have answered the question, but they are generally because the original post gets off track. So, here is a date code that someone asked about. I will show you how to read it, then you should be able to read the rest. Any questions please PM me as I cannot keep up with all the post, especially when a post gets off track.

HLPA363943/02016/00:32

HLPA = Houston blend plant (Port Arthur)
363943 = Batch number
02016 = February 1, 2006
00:32 = 12:32 AM

Mods: If you could keep this at the top of the post for awhile I would appreciate it. Maybe this will give folks enough time to read it before it turns into a PP vs the world thing.
smile.gif

Johnny!

Thanks! I think most of us were wondering at what date code did PP go GroupIII?

It interests me because I have around 30 quarts of 10W30 SM PP with date codes around 10/20/2005. Wondering if it can be mixed 50/50 with PP 5W20 or even Pennzoil 5W20 Dino effectively and w/o conflict..

My code indeed indicates a Port Arthur place of manufacture..

Thanks again!
patriot.gif

I was told the switch was made in November of 2005. With your date of October 20, 2005 it would be borderline. You would not have any problems mixing it with either of the products you mentioned.

Thanks Johnny this is really great information. I have worried sometimes myself about buying motor oil that has been sitting forever on a store shelf. And I have seen cases where containers of motor oil had been sitting on a store shelf for a very long time. At least in the case of the Pennzoil Platinum we will be able tell from the containers if the oil is fresh or not. For me, this would be another reason for buying the oil.

Quote:

I was told the switch was made in November of 2005. With your date of October 20, 2005 it would be borderline. You would not have any problems mixing it with either of the products you mentioned.

OK, slightly OT, but have you heard as to why the switch?

I have 18 qts of the first run PP that is the Grp IV, and 6 qts I need to check when I get home with this info (I believe the newer stuff). If it is just a cost issue, then fine, but if there is a difference in performance or problems with the EOP based formula then I would kind of like to know.
I really doubt there would be an issue, otherwise I would think Pennzoil would have made some kind of announcement.

It hadda be price, right? This stuff endured and passed SM/GF4 standards, what could be the problem with it?

Nah, it was price, OR, perhaps they had supply problems with the base stock. In any case, it's group three now.

Quote:

...but if there is a difference in performance or problems with the EOP based formula then I would kind of like to know.

How do the Group III and Group V Platinums compare on the desirability scale? Is one clearly preferable to the other or does it depend on the application? Are there any good reasons (other than price) to visit low-volume outlets in search of dusty Group V bottles?

If so, do the Group V bottles look any different than the Group III bottles? If not, then it'll be just like BITOG-ers searching for Green GC as they pull all of the bottles off the shelf and decipher the codes.
laugh.gif

Thank goodness Pennzoil does not require you to use a blacklight to determine how old the oil is (see the post for Mobil 1). I think I am starting to like the Pennzoil much, much more.

Quote:

I have 18 qts of the first run PP that is the Grp IV, and 6 qts I need to check when I get home with this info (I believe the newer stuff). If it is just a cost issue, then fine, but if there is a difference in performance or problems with the EOP based formula then I would kind of like to know.
I really doubt there would be an issue, otherwise I would think Pennzoil would have made some kind of announcement.

I always thought Pennzoil was not using a PAO GrpIV but was using a base in between a GrpIII & IV & formulating it to act like a GrpIV? Am I missing the mark on my interpretation?

Quote:

Johnny! Thanks! I think most of us were wondering at what date code did PP go GroupIII? It interests me because I have around 30 quarts of 10W30 SM PP with date codes around 10/20/2005. Wondering if it can be mixed 50/50 with PP 5W20 or even Pennzoil 5W20 Dino effectively and w/o conflict.. My code indeed indicates a Port Arthur place of manufacture..

Now that is interesting. I have two cases and a bit of 0w20 which is HLPA344390 10205/23:15. First seems a bit of a coincidence that our oils were made on the same day? Or, do they only make oil one day a year or change their stamp once a year?

And second, now I don't know if I should use this magic stuff or sell it on E-Bay as a collectors item
canada.gif

Ron, he said around 10/20. He sent me a PM and to be exact his was 10/24, different time, and different batch number. I need to check something for you because I "think" the 0W20 is a PAO product. I will check and let you know.

And before anyone ask, I have no clue where you can purchase the 0W20. Ron, I will get back to you on this.

I gotta feeling this stuff comes off the line in great quantity, the way smokes come off the line at Phillip Morris. I have about 18 quarts the same date code, and 110 or twelve more with a mix..

The good news is, it's ALL pre-GroupIII!
ooo.gif

Bad new is, it's all 10W30, too thick for my car in winter
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back