Castrol vs Royal Purple vs Mobil vs Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. So i know there have been a ton of these but i figured i would post my own personal results for those who are looking for it. I was looking for the "best" oil and tried to do a ton of research. Some of the results were helpful, most were not. Now i am no "expert" and dont have a ton of scientific data to back up my claims, but i do have personal experience so here goes. The first 3 oil changes were done on 2 cars at once and had the same results in both.

1) Castrol Syntec.
This was my first try at the synthetic motor oils and I must say i was very pleased at the results. I felt an immediate difference after having used regular conventional oil. Is is the best? I cant say but I can say it is ****ed good even if it isnt 100% synthetic.

2) Royal Purple
Decided to try something different after watching an episode to "Trucks" so I bought this oil. Pricier than the Castrol so I figured it had to be better right? Not in my experience. Oil went in and it was fine. Car felt the same. About 4000 miles later (and after checking the oil) I realized it was time for a change. This is where the surprise came in. To my amazement, the oil came running out like water!!
crazy.gif
Now I have heard different explanations from various people about this and the most common one is that Royal Purple is a terrific race oil that is not meant to hold its viscosity for longer periods of time. Seems to fit my experience but again I have no tests or analasys to prove this.

3) Mobil Extended Performance
15000 miles?? Man that would save me a ton of $$$. So I went for it. Well the car was running fine again. No rough idling etc. BUT......no way in ________ would I go 15000 miles on it. After about 7-8000 or so it was time for a change. and immediately. This too was done on 2 cars simultaneously and it definately didnt last. Even my gf who knows little about cars commented "wow that oil is really really black". It was pretty much opaque. Could just be me but I cant see myself driving like that even if the viscosity/lubricating ability was still intact.

4)Amsoil
Well, I found this one on the net. Did some research again on the net and found a ton of web pages, all of which showing comparisons. "I found it" I thought. Then I realized that the various web pages were all by the same person/company. That said i called a bunch of "dealers" (one of which didnt even drive). It felt like a motor oil AMWAY so i was leary about trying it but after speaking to one of the dealers for a while i decided to give it a try. This is day 2 so i can post any long term effects yet but I have come to some conclusions based on Amsoil's advertising/"dealers". Not going to run on about it but one example is their oil filter.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eao.aspx
It may be me, but i dont see how a filter that "traps smalled particles" and "hold more contaminants" could result in it having a greater flow. It may result in greater filtering but i think of a strainer and i know that the samller ones definately trap more but also result in less flow as a result. That, along with the fact that someone would recommend using the same oil for 25000 miles makes me wonder if they are exxagerating the products capabilites in order to make it more attractive. The amount of dirt in the oil after 25000 miles cant be anything but harmful.

Anyhow, in a few months I will update with my opinion on the performance of the Amsoil, but I really think Mobil 1 will be my next and final stop (or back to Syntec). Just my 2 cents for anyone else who was looking for a straight answer without ball bearing tests and skewed test reults. that were running for 500min (less than 10 hours) as opposed to a full 3000 mile run in stop and go traffic.

This site is all about learning. So hang out here.

Not sure if I saw what kind of car, miles, driving style, etc.....which Amsoil did you choose?

BTW Amsoil only recommends 25,000 miles for certain oils and certain specific applications. Bummer you didn't buy from one of the site sponsors.

Thank you for your contribution and the testing, but I have to say that your time has kind of been wasted.
Why? No measurable facts.
What I mean by this is that if you would have provided UOA data it might look different, but even with UOAs people on here will complain about something, such as weather, driving conditions, not having the oil for continous intervals, etc.

The only thing that I could sense without an UOA is how the car started on very cold days with different oils.
What used to happen with some dyno oil, and later with some synthetics (Syntec 5w-40, Mobil 1 0w-40) would be that my car on very cold days would start up, the RPM would drop between 400-600 *regular is 800* RPM and would go up and down for about 3 secs. With dyno it actually turned off once.
After switching to GC (Syntec 0w-30) I never experienced the same problem.
Currently I am running Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 and will see how it holds up.
BTW, I have UOAs for my last couple of changes and will keep on playing with them to find the optimal oil.
Pablo, you will be probably getting a PM for some Amsoil 5w-40 soon. Can you PM me the price per quart? I need 5 quarts.

Syntec- Fine oil. Sound doesn't seem to effect performance but if you like a quiter oil, you're allowed.
RP- It does thin but seems to protect just fine. Their Racing oils hold Visc. and are completely streetable.
M1 ep It's known to darken as will you M1. Doesn't reflect the oils condition.
Amsoil-It's this or M1ep for extended drains. Without filter changes, I'd limit either to 10K mi which either has done pretty easily numerous times. With Amsoil, talk to the dealers here. They're not just talking billboards like the guys that almost put you off a good oil.
If you're doing under 5k mi changes, any SM will probably get er done. Since price and SM spec doesn't seem to be an issue, I think that you'll like the Amsoil in there now or try RP Racing and Red Line for kicks.

Quote:

2) Royal Purple
Decided to try something different after watching an episode to "Trucks" so I bought this oil. Pricier than the Castrol so I figured it had to be better right? Not in my experience. Oil went in and it was fine. Car felt the same. About 4000 miles later (and after checking the oil) I realized it was time for a change. This is where the surprise came in. To my amazement, the oil came running out like water!!
crazy.gif
Now I have heard different explanations from various people about this and the most common one is that Royal Purple is a terrific race oil that is not meant to hold its viscosity for longer periods of time. Seems to fit my experience but again I have no tests or analasys to prove this.

Ok you lost me here completely, Doesn't Royal purple specifically say it is ok for oil to become pitch dark once in engine and Change filter every 4K and top it off to make up the difference for old oil filter? How did you decided to change oil all together just after 4K? I mean, doesn't that seem little over kill?

(one of which didnt even drive). It felt like a motor oil AMWAY so i was leary about trying it but after speaking to one of the dealers for a while i decided to give it a try.

When I starting using Amsoil in Aug/04 I was all hyped up. I even used to have a big Amsoil sticker my car. The "trip" was great, until I realized my engine won't make it to a million. I then lost faith. My oil drains went shorter and shorter. I still use Amsoil, but change every 6000 miles. If I were you, I would use Mobil 1 as AMSOIL BUYS MOST OF THEIR BASESTOCK FROM MOBIL. Amsoil is just a blender.

That is such ________. Amsoil has been making synthetic longer than Mobil 1 and also its better than Mobil 1 in tests. It is not a blend as you suggest.

Quote:

(one of which didnt even drive). It felt like a motor oil AMWAY so i was leary about trying it but after speaking to one of the dealers for a while i decided to give it a try.

When I starting using Amsoil in Aug/04 I was all hyped up. I even used to have a big Amsoil sticker my car. The "trip" was great, until I realized my engine won't make it to a million. I then lost faith. My oil drains went shorter and shorter. I still use Amsoil, but change every 6000 miles. If I were you, I would use Mobil 1 as AMSOIL BUYS MOST OF THEIR BASESTOCK FROM MOBIL. Amsoil is just a blender.

Amsoil is a blender.
grin.gif
Meaning that, they don't make their own basestocks. They buy basestocks from companys like Mobil. I find this Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 very silly, because that PAO basestock is coming from Mobil.

I remember a member of this site getting ahold of AMSOIL Corporate headquarters. The reply was yes, AMSOIL does get it's base stock from MOBIL. May be hard to take but, facts are facts. Sometimes even when the proof is in front of doubters they still try and tell you your full of it. Loyalty is one thing but, facts are still facts.

wow. need email notification for this board. thought no one replied until i checked. first off, as for the "measurable tests" those are often subjective and often do not reflect everyday driving longer term conditions. as for the royal purple, my problem wasnt how dark it was but how thin it was. and as for amsoil, the oil seems to have smoothed out the motor but i didnt and wont use their filters. amsoil's "tests" claim it to be the best yet yield 98.7% effeciency. mobil1's "tests" yield 99.2%. plus any company that claims wix to be "top notch" and more importantly sells Bosch Plugs has lost credibility with me. this is a great site though but as i am sure others feel the same, i am tired of seeing nothing but numbers and not hearing real world experiences. i think i will try red line next, just to see how it holds up to the rest and then try mobil 1. any real world opinions on redline or lucas?

on a side note i came across this in another forum and was wondering if it was true:

"I do want to give a warning on amsoil. No one at the shop where I work will use amsoil beacuse it has PTFE's or teflon in the oil."

ASL, if Amsoil has caused coking and varnish in your engine and you hate the fact they sell Bosch, then why in the heck do you continue using the frickin product??? You said in another post how you got burned on Amsoil and how much it sucks. It's like wiping before ya poop; don't make sense!
crackmeup.gif

Quote:

this is a great site though but as i am sure others feel the same, i am tired of seeing nothing but numbers and not hearing real world experiences.

BE VERY CAREFULL WITH EXTENDED DRAINS.
I have used Amsoil since Aug 04. Amsoil is a very good oil, if you like it use. I used their "synthetic" filters at one time. I ran my first interval with Amsoil for 11000miles the oil looked like tar.
shocked.gif
I still use Amsoil, but I change it every 6000miles with a delco filter. My car really likes this interval. I looked in the oil filler hole, and it was much cleaner. I also can sleep better at night.
smile.gif

Drew,
I have to use up my Amsoil stash. When it's gone, I might give German Castrol or Esso 0w30 a try.

Quote:

ASL, if Amsoil has caused coking and varnish in your engine and you hate the fact they sell Bosch, then why in the heck do you continue using the frickin product??? You said in another post how you got burned on Amsoil and how much it sucks. It's like wiping before ya poop; don't make sense!

stirthepot.gif

I have a love hate relationship with Amsoil.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back