Burgman 650 Scooter (Burger King)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought one of these scooters on Steroids. Its a 638cc twin 4 valve engine. It has a devorced engine and transmission. The engine is 2.7 US Qts and the trans is 12.3 US OZ's, yes OZ's. Both call for 10W40 for normal usage, 20W50 and 15W40 is listed too. I am wanting to know if a C4 rated 15W40 Deisel oil would hurt? This has a Centrifcial (SP) clutch and a CVT transmission, no gears. The final drive is comprised of 5 gears, one after the other in a 90W gear oil bath. I am going to do UOA's on this and post them for other Burger King riders. Any recommendations? I run Delo 400 or Rotella 15W40 in most of my lawn equipment and they are my first picks.

This is one fast scooter and gets 50+ MPG at a cruzing speed of 75 MPH. I had it up to 110 MPH on a private driveway before I let off. DaveJ

Deisel oil will work fine; even the syn Rotella(blue jug).
I'm very partial to synthetic oils, so I'd go with Mobil-1 gear oil(75-90 IIRC).
ooo.gif

I forgot to add its water cooled and has an oil/water cooler too. I do plan to run Syn gear lube in the final drive. DaveJ

RTS seems to do as good as anything in centrifugal clutches (or wet clutches in general). Delo is a great bike oil. Have used it during break-in and the machine worked well. Mega-scooters are great ideas and are becoming more and more popular - and for good reason. You have bought well. New or used?

John.

PNRD3L, I dont have any pic yet but go to http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/AN650K7/Default.aspx and there is a 07.

John, I think I got a good deal, $4400 + tax and Lic. Its a 2003 with only 12,600 miles. The last owner put on over $1000 in upgrades. I rode it for over 100 miles in the pouring rain today, one sweet ride. The dealer did the 12K service 4 months before the last owner traded it in. I just want the best oil and lube in it. DaveJ

Ok, an update. I found a Burgman fourm and found out that the engine oil is shared with the clutch so I must use a rated oil for that. The transmission is a dry CVT belt, the oil just lubs the bearings. DaveJ

Quote:

Quote:

Those are all the rage for the wannabe's over here. Enjoy it. I just can't see riding one.

(Visions of Honda Reflex gangs beating up MOPED gangs flows through my head)

offtopic.gif
Not wanting to start a bashing, just "To each thier own." I wouldent be caught driving a "WAGON" anything
grin.gif
, to include a WRX wagon. Understand that this is a bike on the scale of a long distance cruser like a Goldwing. It just looks like a small scooter but will cruse with a BMW GS1150 and a 1800 Goldwing, Did that last weekend up in the Cascade Mountains. We went 350 miles in a day, round trip. We did 80 miles at 85 to 90 MPH, non stop. Try that on a "MOPED". Now IF I was rich and could afford to spend $18,000 + for a Yahama FJR 1300 AE to go "CLUTCHLESS", I would. DaveJ

Yeah, have an FJR now and would love an AE... Oh well, just got a hemi Ram so that isn't happening anytime soon. Back to the Burgman. I like it. Makes a heck of a lot of sense for some people. Seeing as it is past the break-in stage my number one choice for engine oil would be Delvac 1 depending on the local pricing. The more economical method would be to use RTS. That stuf is great in bikes of all sorts - quite popular and for good reason. And I have to say it again, Delo (or Rotella T or Delvac 1300, etc., etc.) would protect your engine very well. Cold starts at the beginning/end of the riding season may burden the engine a little bit in single digit temperatures (at least it did in a 650 V-Strom 'till I swapped it out for D1). If you can get your hands on any 0w-40 XD-3 from Esso on this side of the border, I can say that it has worked very well for me on the couple of times that I have used it in a single-cylinder 600 engine/clutch. That's my few pennies. And good deal, too.

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back