How do you clean a manual fluid transfer pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a manual fluid transfer pump (looks identical to this) and I pumped out the power steerinf fluid resevoir on my 88 Corolla. Ugly burned smelling fluid came out. How do I clean the pump out? Run a bunch of water through it and let it dry?

ugh... don't try.

My suction tank I just use (obviously) for waste oils, so I dont bother cleaning it, just the end of the tube so none dribbles out as it re-flows.

For transfer devices, if I absolutely have to, Ill run a bit of the 'new' fluid that is to go through, to waste, to flush out most of whats left there. Typically though I use the suction device to remove oils, and buy the cheapest of cheap pumps for the oils to put into different things (diff, trans, different cars that take other diff/trans oils, etc.). By buying the absolutely cheapest ones, I can buy more of them for the same money and not worry about anything.

If you really must clean it, dont use water.. Id suggest you take gasoline from the can that you use for your mower, and suck it in and out of the gas can. A short run will solve and clean the pump, and the remaining gas will evaporate in time. I suppose if you have an old enough car with a non-suction proof gas filler, you could just suck a liter or so out and that would be sufficient to clean the pump.

JMH

BTW, I use the liquivac for pulling oil, atf, ps fluid, or any other sort fo thing from cars, lawnmowers, etc. I got it at the tractor supply company, and couldnt be happier.

http://www.liquidvac.com/

I used to have a 'topsider', which I found to be much shorter-lived, and not as good of a piece of equipment, in a less convenient shape to boot...

JMH

Try pumping varsol through it. That's what I do with my "clean oil" pump. Then take everything apart to dry as best as possible. On the next use I pump a bit of fresh fluid through so that there is no contamination.

It is a paint thinner/solvent that can be bought a Wal-Mart for around $5.00 a gallon. It comes in quarts too. After 3 strokes my pump is as clean as new. Like I said previously, if you are using it for new fluids on the next use, pump through some new oil to take out any residue.

Oh and I also use it as a parts cleaner. No more sissy citrus-type cleaners. This stuff is very effective and non-corrosive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back