Using 10W-30 instead of 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all -

Some time ago I picked up a case of Chevron 10W-30 before I knew much about oil. Since then, I have come to find out both of my vehicles suggest 5W-30 in the owner's manual. I have been using 5W-30 (Chevron, Shell and QS) but still have that unopened case of 10W-30. Are there any compelling reasons to not use the 10W-30? Temps here are very mild, so my thinking is it shouldn't matter. Thanks!!
driving.gif

There is certainly no problem for the engine. Worse case you may lose about 1% in fuel efficiency which for the average driver is about $10/year. Another alternative is to blend the 10W-30 with a 0W-30 to make a 5W-30 with better fuel economy.

Tom

I would use up the 10w30 in summer and get some 5w30 for winter. I understand your problem as I am in CA this week and the one store I was at, didn't even sell a 5w30. It's a minor point and 10w30 through the winter while not ideal is ok too.

Quote:

I would use up the 10w30 in summer and get some 5w30 for winter. I understand your problem as I am in CA this week and the one store I was at, didn't even sell a 5w30. It's a minor point and 10w30 through the winter while not ideal is ok too.

If you were in CA, then I think you'd understand he doesn't have a problem. Temps are going to be in the 80's by the end of the week. I run 10w30 year round. There's no such thing as "winter" for most parts of the state.

I'm in the north bay area, so it can get a bit chilly, but nothing ever approaching 0 F. It rarely ever dips below freezing. Surfstar is right, we're supposed to approach 80 degrees this week - this is actually the nicest time of year for this area! Thanks everyone for the replies!!! I will run the 10W-30 with confidence.
cheers.gif

well it never hurts to find out what engine it is and how it's driven before making recomendations.

BUt 10W30 it's a good weight for almost anything.

So what engine is this? Is it a Geo Metro with 100K on it or a heavily modified corvette with a fresh rebuild? lol

LOL not high performance in the least. The vehicles are a 96 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L SOHC w/115K and a 98 Saturn SL2 1.9L DOHC w/125K. I've had the Satty since new and the Trooper since about 60K. I'd like to get both vehicles to over 200K
cool.gif

Yeah, Bender, I can relate..The Home Depot clearance brought me about a zillion quarts of 10W30 PP. I wish they made the stuff 0W20, but then, it wouldn't be groupIII, would it? I'm thinking after the winter, I'll blend it with 5W20 PP and call it a day. Jeez, the 10W30/5W20 would be fine for the winter for that matter I suppose, but it should keep until the Spring. Our Winters are such that 0W and 5W oil is quite justified. Meanwhile, I have lots of 5W20 Pennzoil dino and GC, not to mention a lotta 5W20 Havoline..

Bender, ya have to be FLEXIBLE!!!
cheers.gif

Although today I certainly beleive in using the proper oil for your engine, years ago I used anything in my engines. In the past I've used heavy weight oil in the winter and thinner oil on the heat of the summer. I didn't use these oils this way regularly, usually it was the other way around. I would just use what I had around the garage during my younger years when I was broke and just wanted to keep my heaps running so that I could get to work. I've never killed an engine using the wrong oils in my cars/trucks. I just made sure that the oil/filter was changed kinda regularly and I put many hundreds of thousands of miles on my junkers as well as the newer vehicles that I purchaced when I did have money. When I had engine troubles over the years, it was usually fuel system related(lousy carburator design) and poor quality gas.

Thanks to all - you've assuaged my fears about running the 10W-30 in my high-milage-bordering-on-beater vehicles!! I'd like to keep these older vehicles running as long as possible, to squeeze as much usefulness out of them before they start needing costly repairs.

crushedcar.gif

I've been hoarding the CSK 0.59/quart deals for several months now and am up to 11 cases of 5W-30. But I still have that original case of 10W-30 that I bought when I was clueless about oil. Since it's the oldest case, I'd like to use it up soon...maybe I'll use it as part of my 2nd ARX rinse/clean cycle so it's not in the crank case for very long.

Thanks again, this site is one of the rare few where everyone seems pretty easy going!
cheers.gif

Quote:

Some time ago I picked up a case of Chevron 10W-30 ... I have come to find out both of my vehicles suggest 5W-30 ... Are there any compelling reasons to not use the 10W-30?

Are you out o' your freakin' mind?!?!? Get rid of that 10W-30 Chevron Supreme before you destroy your engines! Lemme help - I'll send you my shipping address... Kidding aside, 10W-30 is all I've ever used except for one early oil change at 600 miles to a load of 5W-30 in my '03 Sonata V6 4-sp A/T during break-in. Ever since the second oil change (3,000 total vehicle miles at the time) 10W-30 is all my Sonata has seen and it's still good for 31+ mpg, highway with A/C. I'm not even sure you'll find a full $10.00 difference yearly in increased gasoline useage.

Quote:

I just made sure that the oil/filter was changed kinda regularly and I put many hundreds of thousands of miles on my junkers as well as the newer vehicles that I purchaced when I did have money.

Shush!
shush.jpg

Don't let that fact get loose in the wild. The vacuum caused by the lack of needless debates here would create a Black Hole so big that Stephen Hawking would be impressed.

10W-30 is a fine weight of oil, little shearing --with less need for polymers. Use it with confidence in a warmer climate, especially in older cars...

Quote:

Quote:

I just made sure that the oil/filter was changed kinda regularly and I put many hundreds of thousands of miles on my junkers as well as the newer vehicles that I purchaced when I did have money.

Shush!
shush.jpg

Don't let that fact get loose in the wild. The vacuum caused by the lack of needless debates here would create a Black Hole so big that Stephen Hawking would be impressed.

Just think how many cars we could save if we prevented them all from using that 10W30 swill that so many millions of cars have run for hundred of thousands of miles.
laugh.gif

Using 10W-30 in an engine meant to take 5W-30 will cause your hard drive to totally melt down and will delete all your files .......................... wait never mind that was an e mail I recently got.

It will be fine if you use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back