Non-conductive grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a non-conductive grease that will not conduct electrical current 12 volt d.c For use in a neutral saftey switch on a car its a sealed unit with contacts and spring loaded brushes. that tell the transmission what gear is selected. the contacts were dirty i cleaned the whole unit. it had some grease in it but i flushed it out when cleaning. any ideas i dont want to short the unit out. beleve it or not this little switch is $300.00!!! so thats why im repairing it. thanks
dunno.gif

Sounds like you're looking for dielectric grease. You can buy small tubes at any auto parts store.

Here's a simple explanation from another site: "The primary purposes of dielectric grease is to keep out moisture, and
prevent corrosion. Prevention of corrosion keeps the metal-to-metal contact point in
a connector conducting electricity. If the grease conducted electricity, it
would allow the tracking to ground of the power or signal being conducted. It's
neutral and forms an excellent 02 block. Also lubricates but w/o any specific
bulk. Wont' work for heavy loaded bearings, etc. Great for multiple plug
blocks, relay contacts, slide contact switches, rubber lube, speedo cables when
combined w/graphite, etc. In addition it is used for a heat conductor when some
electronic components are mounted on surfaces to dissipate heat (like the
ignition power stage on coils). It is non-conductive, but when you slide the
connectors together there is metal-to-metal contact and the grease gets displaced
but the area around connector is protected from moisture"

think they are gelled silicone oils try the stuff that goes on a spark plug boot so it will not stick to the plug.
bruce

Nyogel 760G. Sold by Ford dealers as terminal grease. It's a little thinner than what is usually sold as silicone dielectric grease. I have a tube of it and I can post the part number if you want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back