AMSOIL and My experience with it. No lies involved

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my cars a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire GT. It was purchased used in Jan of 2002 and fed Quaker State 5w30 (10w30 in the summer) and a Fram filter every 5000kms. The oil is always drained hot and the oil level is kept to the full line. In Aug of 2004 the Sunfire was close to the 100,000km mark. It this point I decided to switch to Amsoil. I used Amsoil flush, and new filter and ran it for 20 min (approx) and the Quaker State came out Amber in colour. I installed Amsoil 10w30 (ATM) and a SDF32 filter, also did a tune up. The oil slowly became dark. At 105,000kms I installed a new SDF filter and topped it off. The oil was still fairly dark. At around 112,000kms the oil became black. I emailed Amsoil and asked why is my oil turning black. They said colour does not indicate condition.
smirk.gif
At 115,000kms the car became consuming a high rate of oil. It would not hold oil. The oil looked very thick and very black. I put some on paper towel, black as used diesel oil. Remember Amsoil said black is normal. At 117,000kms I noticed specks of rust forming on the dipstick. I panicked and drained it. At this point I installed 4 quarts of Amsoil 0w30 and SDF filter. No flush was done. At 123,000km the oil was dark (not black) and half quart low. So I drained it, but I did not add any. Stuff costs too much. This time I filled it with Amsoil 5w30 (ASL) and an AC Delco filter. At 133,000kms, 143,000kms, 153,000kms the oil was changed with Amsoil 5w30 again with AC Delco oil filter every time. The car now has 159,000kms. The car used ¼ of a quart every 5000kms with Quaker State. Oil consumption is essentially the same with Amsoil. Except that one time, the last 2000kms of my first interval with Amsoil. The engine has felt “loose” for the last 40,000kms, but remains to runs fairly well HP wise.

Pablo,
Pre BITOG no UOA was done.
My Amsoil dealer said go 40,000kms or 12 months, which ever comes first, even on my first interval. I no longer buy from Amsoil dealers because of this. I now buy my Amsoil at Peavy Mart.

Pablo, Msparks, Tooslick, ****, and Don ALL give excellent information.
smile.gif
These guys are the best Amsoil dealers I have ever seen.

Quote:

What did your dealer say?

Probably what most of these so-called dealers say: Whatever they have to in order to keep the customer coming back for more.
smirk.gif

The Amsoil dealer in my area told me UOA's are not needed. He said to trust Amsoil because of their 30+ year history. He also went on and on about the founder of the company.

Pablo,
I had a emission test done while I was in Ontario. Car puts out extremely low Hydro Carbons, No C.O., and very low N.O..

Same happened in my 2002 Corolla I bought used. I did one Auto-Rx cycle and changed to Amsoil. The oil turned black immediately. I changed it after 2k, and the oil now is amber after 5K. I believe the Amsoil cleaned the otherwise dirty motor.

In all the cars I have bought new, and with Amsoil going in between 600 and 1000 miles, the oil ALWAYS stayed amber, regardless of the engine type. I always assumed the Amsoil just kept the motor cleaner.

I made the mistake of going 11,000 miles on my first interval with Amsoil.
spankme.gif

When there's rust forming on the dipstick I know the TBN is shot
grin.gif

Call me an idiot if I'm missing something...cause I read the original post as all perception.

1. Visually sees "black oil"
2. Specs of rust seen on dipstick (can technically happen on any car, at anytime, under the right circumstances)
3. The engine feels feels loose, but the same HP wise.
4. The engine had 90k miles before switching to syn. (probably an aweful lot of deposits and carbom build up)
5. The engine now has 100k miles (159km)and uses only 1/4 qt of oil between OCI's. (Hey, thats darn good)

So, whats the core problem? Black oil? Pay $20 for a UAO, that will answer all questions and concerns.

RinconVTR,
1. The oil became very thick.(Car was getting sluggish). So black it was staining my skin, and consuming at a higher rate than normal.
2. To me rust forming is a sign of NO TBN.
3. The engine does feel "loose". Best word I could think of. Is sloppy a better word
grin.gif

4. No, engine had 60,000 miles when I made the switch to Amsoil (The car had 23,000 miles on the clock when I bought it).
5. Yes, the engine does have 100,000 miles on it. It's uses 1/4 quart every 3000miles.

The engine has zero leaks. About a month ago I pulled the spark plugs, ALL four are a nice tan color.

My mother owns a 2003 Grand Am GT. On a cold morning her car sounds like a diesel.
laugh.gif
The Sunfire has NO piston slap.
smile.gif

So, what's the first OCI to be when first changed from mineral oil to a good Syn like Amsoil? Should one change the Amsoil out at the recommended 3K-5K interval? When should the UOA's be performed, after the inital dose of Amsoil or before Amsoil?

These questions are for me also since my car is coming up on 3.5K miles on Amsoil 5W-30 ASL. The oil has been changed per manufactures 3.75K. The Amsoil currently is a dark amber color but not black. I used the flush before the switch and did not do a UOA before hand. Should I change it now and perform the UOA on the current oil or go to 7k?

Da Game,
If you are wanting to take your interval out to 7,000 miles, then go ahead and replace the filter at 3,500 miles. At 7,000 change the oil and do the UOA. I prefer to do a change and UOA on a much shorter interval, 5,000-7,500, before plunging into +10,000 mile intervals.

Quote:

So, what's the first OCI to be when first changed from mineral oil to a good Syn like Amsoil?

It depends on the car history (total miles, engine type (sludger/hard on oil/heag gasket issues), driving style, oil type/frequency of changes before, etc) Some can go 10K first change, others 5K. I would never go over 7-8K first change on a synthetic without a UOA on a higher mileage vehicle.

Honestly this a good place for AutoRx. If your engine is dirty, just hucking and going with synthetic is no magic bullet.

Oilyriser,
This car came with Dexcool. I drain and refill with Dexcool (Prestone) every spring. I don't buy into that 5year/150000 miles ________. Too many cars have failed with death cool. I have never have to top off antifreeze, the level stays at the full cold line thouthout the year.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back