Rubber Preservative/Lube: Survey of Best Knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a search on this topic and it looks like there has not been much traffic on it.

Hypothesis: Trim, openning rubber or EPDM should be cleaned, coated to preserve it. In addition it should be lightly lubricated where a moving part is involved (such as doors/windows).

Here is my question, I have heard more bad news about using various products on how they make the rubber or EPDM look good, but actually hasten deterioration. I do NOT endorse the following list or the "conclusions." I am merely reporting the "consensus" of listening over 30 years. Could be right, wrong, non sequitor, and/or out of date. The purpose of this posting is to get some facts on the record.

This is what I have from years of listening to others. Authoritative long term experience and/or test references appreciated:

1. Amorall, looks nice, good UV protection, dries out the elastomer?
2. Saddle Soap, good cleaner, neutral otherwise
3. Lexol, good cleaner, slight lubrication,
4. Vinylex, good cleaner, good UV protection, does not dry out elastomer? slight lubrication
5. rubber coatings/paint, looks good, will peal, soon if part not very well cleaned first
6. brake fluid (non-silicone), good cleaner, looks good, protects elastomer
7. brake fluid (silicone) ??
8. WD-40, cleaner, good initial lubricant, dries elastomer
9. Kroil, pBlaster, et.al, see WD-40
10. Silicone Lubricants, good cleaner, good lubricant, dries elastomer
11. Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick, ??
12. KPC Rubber Cleaner and Preservative, ??
13. ONE GRAND DO-IT-ALL, ??
14. MIL-P-11520F rubber preservative ??
15. Zymol Seal Spray, ??
16. Mothers® Protectant, ??
17. probably missed your favorite...add here.

thanks in advance!

May I ask who you've been listening to regarding your items 6 and 7: Brake fluid? Pretty funny.
And there are many other items on your list which contain petroleum products, which in general is also bad for rubber and plastics. I would even avoid leather products that contain natural oils.
A personal survey would yield 303 Protectant (expensive) and Meguire's Natural Shine Rubber and Vinyl Protectant.

Quote:

May I ask who you've been listening to regarding your items 6 and 7: Brake fluid? Pretty funny.

Brake fluid shows up in auto restoration and muscle car books and magazines. Remember, I refused to "endorse" any of the list.

I am updating the list, with your and other's suggestions, please see below.

Quote:

Did a search on this topic and it looks like there has not been much traffic on it.

Hypothesis: Trim, openning rubber or EPDM should be cleaned, coated to preserve it. In addition it should be lightly lubricated where a moving part is involved (such as doors/windows).

Here is my question, I have heard more bad news about using various products on how they make the rubber or EPDM look good, but actually hasten deterioration. I do NOT endorse the following list or the "conclusions." I am merely reporting the "consensus" of listening over 30 years. Could be right, wrong, non sequitor, and/or out of date. The purpose of this posting is to get some facts on the record.

This is what I have from years of listening to others. Authoritative long term experience and/or test references appreciated:

4. Vinylex, good cleaner, good UV protection, does not dry out elastomer? slight lubrication
5. rubber coatings/paint, looks good, will peal, soon if part not very well cleaned first
15. Zymol Seal Spray, ??
Added:
17. NewCT "SealLube"
18. 303 Protectant
19. Meguire's Natural Shine Rubber and Vinyl Protectant
20. probably missed your favorite...add here.

thanks in advance!

303 Products Aerospace Protectant

"100% protection of UV caused slow-fade with regular use"
"For inflatable boats, wet/dry suits, tires,door and trunk seals,and under the hood rubber"

Updated with latest advice
Quote:

15. Zymol Seal Spray, ??
Added:
17. NewCT "SealLube"
18. 303 Products Aerospace Protectant
20. Kano Lab Lubricone
21. probably missed your favorite...add here.

thanks in advance!

The best stuff but very expensive.
I bought a tube 6 years ado for $30.
Does last a long time.

Krytox

It's made by DuPont as a vacuum pump and aerospace lubricant/sealant.
Originally developed for the U.S. Space Program, Krytox® Fluorinated Lubricants are a family of synthetic oils and greases that perform where conventional lubricants fail. They exhibit superior lubricity, high load carrying ability and extra wear protection. Excellent for high temperature and chemically aggressive environments.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=A2524&dept_id=123

I'd venture to guess that the rytox with corrosion inhibitor would be even better... Oxygen will have detrimental effects on rubber, and the 'inhibited' version seems to reduce that.. for $3 more.

JMH

My choice is Einszett Gummipflege stick. Works kinda like shoe polish. Tailor made for automotive rubber seals.

From 1Z's website:

Gummi Pflege Stift 'Rubber Care Stick'
> Weather and rubber seal treatment 100 ml (3.4 fl oz)

Long-lasting protection against freezing for rubber seals on car doors, windows and trunks. Protects and keeps the rubber elastic. Restores color to dried out rubber. Prevents doors from sticking in cold weather. Protects against extreme temperature and UV rays. Solvent-free, water-based formula. Easy-to-use shoe polish type applicator makes application simple without the mess.

Well, I have to go with Krytox. On my 1994 Corvette, which I bought new, I used Armer All or STP Son of a Gun to maintain my weatherstrips and seals. Well, about 2 years after buying it I had to replace all the weatherstrips due to decaying and brittleness...but they were shiny! So, then after replacement I used Vasiline, worked okay but was greasy and messy and dried quick. I also used Die-electric grease (was recommended by the owner's manual). Well, you guessed it - dried out seals again - but lasted 4 years. Now I use Krytox and they seals still look great and are pliable as new. Been over 5 years. Krytox works - and is worth every penny.

About to release my survey. Some surprises, and I predict more than a few unhappy people. just like sealer/waxes, the most expensive appear to be the worst.

Quote:

Well, I have to go with Krytox. On my 1994 Corvette, which I bought new, I used Armer All or STP Son of a Gun to maintain my weatherstrips and seals. Well, about 2 years after buying it I had to replace all the weatherstrips due to decaying and brittleness...but they were shiny! So, then after replacement I used Vasiline, worked okay but was greasy and messy and dried quick. I also used Die-electric grease (was recommended by the owner's manual). Well, you guessed it - dried out seals again - but lasted 4 years. Now I use Krytox and they seals still look great and are pliable as new. Been over 5 years. Krytox works - and is worth every penny.

We await your survey results. Will it be based on facts (and what works)or just what's most popular?

Like GMBoy said I would like to see the results of a test.

Even the results of an unbiased home test would be better than hearsay and rumors.

Take a long piece of weather striping and staple it to an equally long piece of wood.
Every 3 or 4 inches paint a separator stripe and label that section with the name of the product used on that section. Then set the test someplace out of the way and check the results over a year.

In 1990 I took an old tire and scrubbed it down good with Comet to remove any oxidation.
Then I took a white paint marker and labeled several sections and then applied the products I had on hand to test. After just 2 months in the sun only one test sample looked different from the rest of the old tire.

I know that was not a very scientific test but it told me which of the products I was testing lasted the longest out in the weather on old tire rubber.

Quote:

#3 and #4 are the same thing. Vinylex is made by Lexol. The actual name on the bottle is "Lexol Vinylex."

I have a lot of experience with inert PFPE fluids/greases like Krytox and Fomblin. They're used extensively in the semiconductor industry. So expensive they're sold like drugs, by weight instead of volume. It's your call but I'd never use such a product to preserve elastomers. Btw, if you smoke you'd better be real careful handling that stuff.

Quote:

Updated with latest advice
Quote:

15. Zymol Seal Spray, ??
Added:
17. NewCT "SealLube"
18. 303 Products Aerospace Protectant
20. Kano Lab Lubricone
21. Poorboys Natuaral Look
22. Poorboys Trim restorer
23. probably missed your favorite...add here.

thanks in advance!

Quote:

We await your survey results. Will it be based on facts (and what works)or just what's most popular?

fair question, I am using US Government documents on each product, where it exists (80% of products), then other sources as available.

gummi-pflege by BMW, It is a gel like substance in a metal tube. After it soaked into rubber door gaskets, the gasket then felt smooth sort of like a dogs nose.
smile.gif
Best stuff i have ever used on BMW door gaskets. However, It is no longer available. Saw a tube go for $35.00 on e-bay. It orginally cost about $6.00. A real shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back