HDEO USE IN CARS

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, the reason for the lowered additive levels, were really for the purpose of EXTENDING the warranty on emissions systems including the expensive cat converters. It is well known in heterogeneous catalysis that inorganics can eaand sulfur can easily poison oxidizing and reducing catalysts. This is often at VERY low contents.

If manufacturers have to extend their warranties from 100k to 150k, and the average car isnt well kept past, say, 60k, how can they ensure this? Especially considering that the average 80 or 100k car is worth pennies on the dollar compared to what they were new.

Cars do use oil... considering that there is a microscopic layer of oil protecting surfaces, there isnt a lot to get in to a cylinder to burn and get out to the cat, however, analyses that I have read from the theory of operatinon indicate that a tiny bit of oil is used. If someone has real data stating otherwise, please let me know...

But, assuming that, say, one milliliter out of of five liters of oil gets burned up in three thousand miles, youll never see any use, but it wtill happens... and a milliliter is about a gram of oil (less because the densities are less than water, but good enough for back of the envelope), then at 1000 ppm of phosphorous and zinc, youre putting about 1mg of each through the cat each 3000 miles. Under optimal conditions. Start burning the slightest bit more, and youre putting more and more in. It doesnt take much to poison PM catalysts. I do fuel reformation in my day job, and know this for a fact.

Depending upon how well you maintain your car, and how nicely you treat it in driving, your oil burnign might be quite low, and your cat last nearly forever... or your cat may die early without your engine consuming any oil (like mine). Low ZDDP is in the game of warranty extention, and warranties are all a game of numbers. obviously the know something about the onset of oil usde, and what it takes to kill a modern cat with a known PM loading.

JMH

Several friends that have done Auto-Rx treatments and rinsed with Delo 400 15w-40 have just stayed with it after the rinse was completed. You can get a good price at Costco on a case of 6x1gal jugs. I think it's $53.00 or about $2.20/quart.

hdeo is all i use anymore. i got in on that castrol tection $5 / gallon deal with it was good and made a nice stockpile. now i just change the oil in each vehicle once a year reguardness of mileage.
i use the diesel oil in a 2 honda, ford dodge, a bmw boxercup sport bike, lawn equipment, whatever i can!

Quote:

I bought my '01 Chevy Lumina from a college fleet auction about a year ago. They ran Rotella 15W40 in it from day one, with 6000 mile OCI's. The car had 160,000 on it when I bought it, and ran like a new car (but had the standard 3100 lower intake manifold gasket leak). I took the engine apart to change the LIM gasket, and it was squeaky clean inside- with no visible wear. Now I run pretty much any name-brand 15W40 HDEO that I can get a good deal on- John Deere, Delvac, and Rotella so far. Seems to work just fine.

I think the catalytic converter thing might be an issue if you have an oil-burner, though. Isn't that why the SM rating was created?

I have a 95 Bonneville with a 3800 V6, similar to yours.
I recently changed to Delo 15W40(4qt) and 1 Qt Chevron Supreme 10W30. Im having no problems at all so far, but for fall/winter Im using Chevron Supreme 10W30, all with a Purolator filter.

My engine was also clean when I had to tear it down for Lower Intake gaskets/Plastic Upper Intake. So far so good(154,000 miles)
cheers.gif

Bob

I have an

81 MB 240D with 320K
96 Lexus LX450 with 190K
87 yota 4Runner with 220K

I have used Rotella T dino on all of them for the past 15 years. I acquired all these cars from family member with less than 100K, an they were all dealer maintained prior to my taking over.

Just last year I started using Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 in the LX450 during the really cold months here.

Otherwise I would not hesitate using 15-40 HDEO oils in an passenger cars. Remember it was not long ago when the standard vis range was 10W-40. Also Porsche an Ferrari used to recomend Rotella T as their factory oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back