HDEO USE IN CARS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any concensus on the use of HDEO's like Delo and Rotella 10w-30 in passenger cars and the supposed danger to the catalytic converters in cars that don't really burn a significant amount of oil? I'd like to start using these oils as they have great specs but I don't want to have to pay for a new cat in a couple of years. (1995 Maxima, no oil consumption to speak of) Thanks!
crushedcar.gif

Been using HDEO Esso 0-30 syn oil in a 03 Altima and now a 05 Nissan X-trail. I trust this HDEO in my small QR25DE Nissan engines, it seems Nissan engines like a heavy oil as I have found in last 35 years driving Datsun/Nissan, many in here claim the same, their Nissans like heavy oil. I prefer the 0-30 syn oil for cold starts, a 10-30 to 15-40 dino is hard on gassers with smaller clearances on cold starts. Got caught other day with a 15-40 HDEO 50/50 summer summer blended oil in son's gasser car, there was a suprisiong 15F unexpected low overnight, the 3.1 chev rattled for 30 seconds, oil too thick, OC in straight 0-30 tonight.

In summer I actually run 3 litres 0-30 syn to one litre 15-40 dino both in XD3 HDEO because these Nissans run hot and like the heavy oil when warm in my experience, the blend really makes it run like a swiss clock on that blend, smooth and quiet, seems effortless. Would never use the 15-40 blend winter/or more than 0-30 in our harsh winters.

As far as the cat, no problems to date, my XD3 lable states "recommended for emmission controlled diesel engines", it is CI-4/SL, I dont know if that statement makes this oil easier on Cat or not, I hear the up coming HDEO rating of CJ-4/SM has less ads to protect the new cats on the new diesels.

I would go to a syn HDEO this winter, not dino and suggest a 0-30 HDEO which is close to a 40 weight gas rated but has the flow with syn base.

To note, your Nissan Manual probably says not to use syn oil, up here anyway, Nissan dealerships offer Mobil syn oil changes, they seem to have now accepted syn oil in their engines., I showed them the spec sheet on my XD3 0-30 HDEO and the Nissan mechanics started putting it there own Nissans at cost of half that of Mobil.

Cyprs

Jag, read that PDF, I find it interesting the Shell maintains this new CJ-4 reading will work in old diesels too, sure there will be a lot of discussion in here on that, never know, it might be Okay. When Esso up here goes to CJ-4 in syn oil I will buy it for my X-trail (just bought 24 litres in bulk in old CI-4, arrrrgh). I dont know about CJ-4 in old diesel yet.

Cyprs

Cyprs, from what I've read, if you use CJ-4 oil with high sulfur diesel fuel, you'll have to get a UOA done sooner to check the TBN, which may reach a critically low value sooner than the CI-4+ oils do. Or you could just change the CJ-4 oil sooner if you use high sulfur diesel fuel and don't do UOAs. Since it will take years to phase out high sulfur diesel fuel, CI-4+ oils are expected to be sold until 2010, at least in the U.S. (don't know about Canada).

The Rotella PDF shows the same surprisingly low pour point for 10w-30 and 15w-40--can that be correct? (also, celcius and fahrenheit temps are the same which is obviously not correct)

Quote:

In summer I actually run 3 litres 0-30 syn to one litre 15-40 dino both in XD3 HDEO because these Nissans run hot and like the heavy oil when warm in my experience, the blend really makes it run like a swiss clock on that blend, smooth and quiet, seems effortless.

Exact 3:1 blend I just finished using in my Volvo. I have a 50/50 blend now of 0W30 and 15W40 XD-3. Are you using the PC Choice 15W40?

Norm, I cant get PC 15-40 XD3 anymore, discontinued at my local Superstore. I now buy my 15-40 and 0-30 XD3 from a farm supply outlet who is the Esso supply now for this area. Miss the pricing on PC 15-40 at under a couple bucks, paying 3.20 now, still worth it, irony is, the 0-30 syn is only $1.50 more than XD3 dino.

I dont use the 15-40 to save a buck, I blend it for the engine benefit in warm weather, in winter I use straight 0-30 in Nissan and 0-40 in diesel, your warm on the coast in the tropics there
smile.gif
, should be okay 50/50. Norm, is PC 15-40 still available on shelves there? If so, is the distinctive Esso green stamps still just below the neck of bottle and 3 stars on bottom of bottle? If so, it is XD3, I was wandering if the dissappearance of 15-40 PC from my store might mean a new contract with another oil supplier with Superstore?
dunno.gif

Thanks Jag, I do 5000Km or 3000 mile OCIs on everything I own, (I recycle the oil or use it in older vehicles) should be okay but if I use CJ-4 in the diesel I would do an analysis to see how it does, should be no trouble in gasser I hope.

Cyprs

I manage a mixed-use fleet, and we have successfully run Delvac1300 Super, and now Delvac1 in 100+ gas cars, vans, and light trucks as well as 150 school buses. We also have a fleet of grounds crew equipment both gas and diesel. No problems here.

I use Delo 400 in my gas as well as diesel cars and also two wheelers with excellent results, no problems whatsoever and some of the gas cars have done over 50K so you can easily use it and get the extended benefit of a good HDEO.

These are new vehicles and they show no signs of sludge etc. at 50K so I am sure they are good for many more miles, point is HDEO works equally well in gas or diesel.

I have a stash of delvac 15w40 and rotella 10w30 that I need to use up. I'm thinking of mixing it from fear of cat poison. yes, it will be used in an oil burner. 1 qt/3k miles

Quote:

Norm, is PC 15-40 still available on shelves there? If so, is the distinctive Esso green stamps still just below the neck of bottle and 3 stars on bottom of bottle? If so, it is XD3, I was wandering if the dissappearance of 15-40 PC from my store might mean a new contract with another oil supplier with Superstore?

I can't remember if the green stamp is on the neck but the 3 stars are definitely on the bottom. I'm sure our local Superstore still carries 15W40 ... I was up in the boondocks (Northern BC; Terrace) over the summer and even they had 15w40! Last time I checked it was ~$2 ... and XD-3 0W30 is up around $4.80/L now.

Quote:

Quote:

Norm, is PC 15-40 still available on shelves there?

I can't remember if the green stamp is on the neck but the 3 stars are definitely on the bottom. I'm sure our local Superstore still carries 15W40 ...

Not sure enough I guess. I was at Superstore last night and they definitely do not have any 15W40 left.
frown.gif
Too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back