Ball Joints will not accept grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some new ball joints installed on my 2000 Jimmy and the upper on the passenger side will not accept any grease. Has anyone ever had this happen in it just a defective ball joint?

I've used a finishing nail to carefully try to poke one open before. Just slightly frozen. But this was an old vehicle, more than 20 years.

Find a needle fitting for the grease gun. Just poke the boot with it and shoot some grease in. The hole is so small that grease will not leak out.

DON'T PUNCTURE THE BOOT!!!!! Replace grease fitting first, take it back to shop that installed for fix second. Grease in boot is what is replaced when greasing. Will never go back into bearing surface.

Bob

Shop put in a new one I went to put in a new zerk and the top of the ball joint just "spun" and the zerk would not come out.

are you talking about the taper that goes through your steering knuckle? That taper should not spin, ever. The tension of the castle nut should jam the taper in very tight.

I'm having a hard time picturing your issue, as my zerks have all been tapped into the "stationary" part of the ball joint or tie rod end.

I thought they were only on MOPAR, but some ________'s are built with moving outer bearing surface(socket) the ball is the inner bearing surface. Try using a tiny pair of Vice Grips to hold part that zerk screws into, or wedge a small tipped screwdriver in gap to keep it from turning while zerk is removed.

Anyone who doesn't understand above needs to go to MOOG or TRW site and find cutaway view of ball joint. MOOG is especially proud of their "Problem Solver"tm. ball and socket line.

iceberg,

Have you consulted shop that did repair? I'd expect they would want to clear any issue instead of loosing a future customer.

Bob

Blank out in above post is where I used initials only for Ball Joint. Censor program must a thought I was refering to oral,,, oh well that't probably get blanked also!

Bob

They replaced it with another. The metal cap that the zerk goes into was spinning when trying to remove the zerk fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back