What are you reading...bsides BITOG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now, I'm reading Saving Daylight, by Jim Harrison, and the Kaufman translation of Gorin No Sho (Book of Five Rings) by Miyamoto Musashi. This is the real thing, not one of the business-oriented khrap translations that was popular a while back. ( Musashi was not a businessman). Next up, The Language of G0D, State of Denial, and whatever else I see when I have money to blow on books.

0312405111.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Only because i have to for my literature class.. bleh.

How the Reformation Happened by Hilaire Belloc

Plus Hot Rod, Car and Driver, Road and Track, European Car, and Popular Mechanics

Oh, and occasionally my wife's STAR Magazine to see how Jessica, Nick, Britney, Brad and Angelina, and Tom and Katie are doing.
laugh.gif

Wow, appropriate graemlin for Tom
ufo.gif

"How to Make Money in Stocks" by William O'Neil - the founder of IBD. I'm chugging through it. Quite amazing I have not read this before (I just never had a copy before!) The book came free with my latest re-up to IBD. Anyhow I know the concepts in general and they have made me money - somehow this book is so profoundly effecting my thinking - I stopped trading until I finish. My brokerage account is almost all cash.......

Just finished these two:

Cobra II
Bernard Trainor

House of War
James Carroll

The first is an outstanding account of the military build-up and invasion of Iraq, warts and all.

The second is a history of the Pentagon as an institution since WWII, and its' influences, malign and otherwise.

Am currently reading my way through the novels of Dan Fesperman and Joseph Kanon , of whom I had earlier read one novel each and now decided to go through the rest. Easy to recommend.

Also, another by Tim Powers for his ever zany borderline fiction. Always a pleasure.

cheers.gif

1984 by george orwell
Brave New World by huxley
The Triumph of American Capitalism by Hacker
Confederates in the Attic by Horwitz
Tom Swift and his Electronic Hydrolung by Victor Appleton

The first two are quite pertinent to today's events.

Dan

"The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway".
These span the years from the 1920's up until his death in 1961, but all are timeless. His writing is so descriptive, it makes you feel you're right there with the characters......

There's nothing like a good Sci-Fi yarn, though...
ufo.gif

I read books and magazines with a lot of different subjects. I like reading about photography, computers, guns, history, UFO and paranormal investigations, science, you name it.

Re-reading "The Winds of War," by Herman Wouk. Actually never read the full text, only the RD Condensed Books version.

From the library:
Cornell Capa, "JFK for President";
W. J Rorabaugh, "Kennedy and the Promise of the Sixties" (I'm researching the early '60s, the Camelot period, for a short story I'm working on. Plus I think it was the last good time in America)

Well, if reading on-line counts, I've been over at homebrewtalk.com getting all the information I can stand on home brewing.

Car and Driver
Motor Trend(for an alternate opinion)
National Geographic
The Kansas City Star(Daily)

Wish Car Mags were twice a month!

Animals in Translation (a must read for those who want to understand animals)

AutoWeek (Hermann: arrives four times a month!)

Jump back and forth between two... too lazy to go get the titles. Both non-fiction, as is the vast majority of my reading.

One is an in-depth investigation into the British spy rings of the 1930s onwards, ala Philby, McLean, Burgess, etc. and the peeking at others who may have been involved but never officially outted. Around the 5th book covering the topic and one of the best, so far.

The other cover Russia's last tsar, from birth to death and developments inbetween. Covers much more than just the tsar so is more accurately a history of Russia during the span of one chap's life. Royalty sucketh.

On the sidelines awaiting the finishing of the above is a bio of the "original Siamese Twins," their origin, life and death and those who exploited them. Greedy capitalists sucketh.

"Everest to Arabia" got today at the store of thrift. Sort of a travelogue but appears to cover the people and cultures of the places trekked to than a travel guide.

"This Just In" by Bob Schieffer, the national TV news teleprompter reader who gave up his seat for the warm fuzzy feel-good Katie Couric. Bah!!!! Since when is the existence of the vile spawn of two Hollywood stars newsworthy on a major broadcast venue during the national news broadcast? Bah!!!!! Bob writes about the parts of recent-past news stories, the parts that, for whatever reason, did not make it to the broadcast. Those enlightened know well just how much of the news is censored. Imagine life without the Web. We now know for certain just how much the masses are lied to and how much of the news was and is censored. Censored by omission.

There's a couple dozen books awaiting reading, I buy at the thrift store faster than I can read them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back