2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, i just purchased a used 05 Maxima with 32k on the odometer. I was planning on going with a synthetic oil. Can anyone give me an idea on what the VQ35 engine thrives on? Also, should i run a dose of Autorx being that it was purchased used? I appreciate the help. Also, if there is a dino oil out there that does well in this engine, i will not be oposed to using it. Thanks in advance for the help.

no auto-rx is necessary...your engine is too new for that...

as for oil, castrol GTX 5w-30 is the way to go, for VQ35s...alot of people on maxima.org use this for dino oil....for synthetic, you might want to try out German Castrol 0w-30...it's a favorite for vq35! check out the GermanCastrol forum for details...

Nice choice of car by the way. From reading BITOG myself and being the owner of an 04 Altima, it's my undarstanding that Nissan/Infinity engines seem to like heavier weight oils such as xx-W-40, German Castrol 0-W-30 or any other oil that is approaching a 40wgt. Im not sure myself why that is just yet as I have done a search to find out why and have come up with little. Nissan engines seem to experience a bit of timing chain noise when the engine is cold but the noise goes away within several minutes/miles. I beleive their ware numbers are OK with lighter weight oils but maybe a bit better with a heavier oil(nothing beyond a 40 wgt). I have not used anything but 5W30/10W30. Typicly, these 5W30/10W30 oils are what is considered a lighter 30 wieght motor oil at around 10.5 cST. And most conventional 5/10W30 are all around the same cST. I do experience timing chain rattle when the outside temp drops down into the high 50* F and below. But as long as the temp is warm there is no noise. Others will chime in with more very good information on this subject.

I had some very good UOA using the German Castrol Steven mentioned. Look at the UOA section, I put my last one up back in June, IIRC. This is an outstanding oil overall, but even better, IMO for the VQ35. Try it, you'll like it.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back