Jojoba Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been used as an add in veggie lubricants to supplant the normal oil adds we see in traditonal formulations !

Terry

I think it's FASCINATING, but what makes it better than corn or soybean (or any other VERY common veggie) oil?
I think the whole corn->methanol converion process is far too inefficient. I THINK the veggie oil as a Diesel substitute idea makes much more sense. JMHO.

Dave

Jojoba has better lubricating properties than most other oils and has an extremely high flashpoint. In addition, the refined version doesn't have the oxidants that other oils have, hence very little AO adds are needed.

I still think that we need to look at energy density per hectare when looking at these fuels.

It appears that the highest oil crop that we can grow is algae, which can hit 50% oil by weight, grow in saline water, and thrives on water enriched with CO2 (guess what seeds I've been trying to plant in manager's heads at work).

Converted to methyl or ethyl ester, we have (particularly down under) a huge potential to fuel ourselves from renewables, and also maybe help out the farmers without subsidies.

I've been making small batches of biodiesel lately, and would encourage all board members to muck around similarly....it's fun and interesting.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
The topic I find interesting about Jojoba is, it can only grow in arid reagions that rerely see freezing temperatures, which means that Jojoba could populate arid (desert) regions that currently have no vegetation cover and currently do not produce anything.

Molakule,
I wasn't aware of that, it's a very good point.

Shannow,

Your idea is excellent. Another source of biofuel and biooil.

The topic I find interesting about Jojoba is, it can only grow in arid reagions that rerely see freezing temperatures, which means that Jojoba could populate arid (desert) regions that currently have no vegetation cover and currently do not produce anything.

In addition, geneticists at the University of Arizona are constantly breeding newer variations with enhanced charateristics.

Jojoba oil yield from seeds is 50%, higher than any legume of other vegetable to-date.

Addendum: A majority of Mid-East countries are now growing Jojoba as well. Does that tell you something?

Guys, Yes, jojoba oil is great stuff, it has a very long carbon chain and has been compared to sperm whale oil for it's versatility and rareness. I did a senior project on jojoba plant propagation (Cal Poly SLO 1982), it's somewhat hard to grow and slow growing, and probably too expensive for diesel fuel.. I've only seem in used in cosmetics and skin lotions...
Soybean oil, hemp oil, even flax seed oil would be more feasible...
Mike

Jojoba plants require about 4 years to maturity, and the female plants are the only ones that bear the wax-laden seeds that are pressed into oil.

Seed yield is fairly low and the links I gave show that it costs about $1100 per acre to grow.

However, their roots reach down to 40 feet or more seeking moisture, and once established they don't seem to die out, unless attacked by pests. The only other shrubs or grass roots I know that reach those depths are the Bluestem Grasses of the High Plains.

While the cosmetics industry uses primarily PAO and natural and synthesized esters, small amounts of un-refined Jojoba are used as well in cosmetic formulations.

Refined Jojoba is used in many third-party transmission fluid supplements and in some boutique motor oils.

quote:

Soybean oil, hemp oil, even flax seed oil would be more feasible...

You would think so, but these oils have a lot of natural oxidants which require further refinement and or loads of anti-oxidants to be added to make these oils viable. Olive oil is another oil that shows promise. Another problem that has to be addressed is that of volatility and flashpoint.

Rapeseed oil, grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, etc, have found to be slightly better oils.

[ August 02, 2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

The above respose should have read:

Rapeseed oil, grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, etc, have found to be slightly better oils than soybean oil, hemp oil, and even flax seed oil in terms of oxidative and thermal stability, but not as good as Jojoba oil.

The current disadvantage to Jojoba oil is cost; approximately $1.00+/oz.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

The current disadvantage to Jojoba oil is cost; approximately $1.00+/oz.

Cost could come down some with more efficeint production techniques, but the low yield per acre and diffculty of harvesting the berries without damaging the plant can be expected to keep the price -way- higher than other veggie oils forever. Don't expect it to ever be anything other than a high proced specialty oil. It's market will remain niche specialties where it's properties are worth the price and botique markets where people are willing to overpay for a product.

So why does the article talk about it as a fuel source. Seems that it would be very expensive even as a partial fuel replacement(although so is ethanol).

-T

The fuel they are testing is a methylated ester fuel (jojoba methyl ester) which showed energy content similar to diesel.

They never discussed price, only the potential as a fuel.

What I see emerging in the future is a set of oils that are a combination of various "cuts" of different oils mixed with ethanol or methanol as alternative fuels.

Just a little history about the potenial for Jojoba Oil. In the early '70s when sulfurized sperm oil was listed on the endangered species list, the Army investigated using the Jojoba Oil as an additive replacement as they had several specifications that had been using the sulfurized sperm oil. The work with the Jojoba Oil was done by the Pittman-Dunn Research Laboratories at Frankford Arsenal. The results revealed that the Jojoba Oil was significantly superior to the sulfurized sperm oil. However, about the same time, one of the additive companies (Lubrizol I think) came up with a synthetic substitute for sulfurized sperm oil that was not as good as the Jojoba Oil, but somewhat cheaper. Because of that, the potential for Jojoba was put on the shelve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back