Worst and best quality gasohol you experianced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunoco Gasohol was the only E10 I've experianced that my engine didn't lost engine performance, My MPG didn't change. this is coming from about 8 different sunoco gas stations, 1 Crystal Flash and 3 Speedway stations. I wish their were more Sunocos in Michigan. Their all over in pennslavnia and Ohio

Best quality E10 Fuel experianced:

Sunoco

Worst:

Crystal Flash
Speedway

Back when I was commuting to college everyday (over an hour each way), I was using Speedway gas which containted 10% ethanol. My car started devloping a very bad knock. I took it to my mechanic and he said it was the gas I was using. Sure enough, when I started filling up at Phillips 66 the knock completely went away. Since then I've tried to avoid any station that blended ethanol.

About a year ago, my wife & I signed up for a Shell credit card b/c they give a 5% rebate on all fuel purchased at Shell (1% at all other stations). Since getting the card, we only fill-up at Shell stations. We have had zero gas-related problems in both of our cars.

Unfortunately, around the first of the year the Shell stations around us posted a sticker on the 87 octane pumps stating that they were mixing up to 10% ethanol with their gasoline. I was really upset about this. However, I still feel like Shell is the best gas around here. So, we've continued to fill-up both of our cars at Shell. We've been using the blended Shell gasoline since the first of the year and it seems to have no affect on our cars.

With that being said, I will keep using Shell gasonline only, even if it is blended. I will say though that I have been using FP60 since we started going to Shell exclusively. I'm sure that has helped against any negative aspects of the ethanol.

Eventhough I really don't like the 10% ethanol blending, I'm actually pretty excited about E85 (85% ethanol, 10% gasoline). I think GM did the right thing in investing their money in this technology. Not only can a lot of their engines now run on E85 or regular gasoline, it doesn't cost anymore to purchase a GM vehicle that can run off of E85.

quote:

I was using Speedway gas which containted 10% ethanol. My car started devloping a very bad knock.

Engine knock is caused by the gasoline octane level not being high enough for the engine, or a problem with the knock sensor & the ignition system not adjusting to the gasoline.

The EPA has required the southeastern counties of Wisconsin to run a 10% ethanol blend for over 5 years. Other than the fact it has a limited storage life, no widespread problems with the use of E10.

Ethanol does add to the octane level when blended with gasoline.

Well my car was a '93 Cavalier Z-24 V6. I used 87 octane at Speedway when I had the knock. When I switched to Phillips 87 octane, the knock went away.

Either way, I'll never fill-up at Speedway.

Well, I'd probably do the same if I experienced bad gas from a particular brand or station.
smile.gif

Speedway is owned by Marathon Petroleum and Marathon has a refinery located at Robinson IL, on the south side of Chicago.

Note - In my area of southern Wisconsin, I tend to favor the Shell, BP, Mobil & KwikTrip brands & stay away from Marathon & Citgo.

I don't know what to tell ya GT Mike. What I've already explained truely happened. I haven't had that car in 5 years so I can't go back and reproduce the problem.

quote:

Originally posted by mshu7:
Well my car was a '93 Cavalier Z-24 V6. I used 87 octane at Speedway when I had the knock. When I switched to Phillips 87 octane, the knock went away.

Either way, I'll never fill-up at Speedway.

That car should have knock sensors that would pull timing if spark knock was detected. If the knock sensors are working there should be no audible knock unless the fuel is of such low octane that the knock sensors can no longer compensate for it. But considering that that car's PCM can pull up to 15° of timing from its pre-programmed tables, it's very unlikely.
I'd be curious to read that car's knock sensor activity while running on the gas you had problems with.
Any GM car with knock sensors that I've worked on has never produced audible knock if they are working correctly no matter what octane rating the fuel has. A Cadillac with a Northstar V8 which is designed for premium fuel will not knock on regular grade, but since the octane rating is not sufficient for the engine's compression ratio or timing tables, they will feel like a dog compared to running on the recommended premium since the PCM is pulling away so much timing.

I'm on my second tank full of Crystal Flash 91 Octane that has a Soy additive. I would compare it to running a few ounces of MMO based on butt dino, startups, etc. I haven't tested mileage yet. Below is an article published last summer regarding this.

JULY 1st, 2005

Soy-Based Gasoline Additive Improves Fuel Economy 5 Percent

Crystal Flash Energy of Grand Rapids, one of the major fuel producers in Michigan, reports that it has already sold over 2 million gallons of its SoyDiesel XC product. The additive, which has only been available at its own gas pump at its headquarters in Michigan, offers one more way to save on gasoline costs. According to the company, SoyUltra works in all gasoline engines and improves fuel economy by up to five percent. According to Tom Fehsenfeld, President of Crystal Flash Energy SoyUltra also helps to reduce maintenance problems, "In extensive product testing, we found that the fuel helps increase engine performance and reduce maintenance problems."

SoyUltra is a friction modifier, which coats the combustion chamber walls and valves, which results in 40 percent more lubricity than what ordinary gasoline has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back