Hub Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I maintain six old school 70's touring bicycles. I am looking for an aluminum complex, NLGI #1 hub grease in a 1-2 lb. tub in the $4-6/lb range. I am not looking to buy large quantities. Some bicycle greases like some of the DuPont products can be $200/lb. Someone recommended Bel-Ray buy have only been able to find NLGI #2, which is to heavy for my application.

Sorry, perhaps some explanation is necessary.

I come from a boating background, a very expensive hobby. Any boater will attest when you buy anything that has "MARINE" on the label expect to pay a premium of 50-100%. I got to be pretty savy about buying products of the same quality through varying sources but without "MARINE" on the label for much less.

That being said when I went to buy bicycle hub grease I paid my $6 for Park Polylube 1000 for 4 oz. of grease. Not too bad. While I was replacing the bearings it dawned on me that this grease was $24 per pound. I reached up on the shelf to check the price of some car bearing grease I had bought some years ago and it was $2.75 per pound. I then came to realize that the word "BICYCLE" came with a premium.

So I investigated the properties of a bike grease to see if I cound find it from an industrial source. I doubt that Park makes their own grease or has a huge R&D staff working on lubricants.

The NLGI (National Lubricating Grease Institute) rates grease by its consistancy on a numerical scale. For bearing use in automobiles a NLGI 2 rating is common. For bicycle bearing use a 0 to 1 NLGI rating is common.

Most bicycle hub greases are polyurea or an aluminum complex grease. Both are heat resistant and water resistant. Some are fortified with moly or PTFE.

I have found McMaster-Carr, an industrial supply house has a large selection grease. I can order NLGI 0,1, petroleum based, aluminum complex, moly fortified, 10-400 F rated temperature range for $6.70 per pound plus shipping. It comes in 14 oz. tubes so I'll order 6 for a lifetime supply.

Another product which is new to the market is Dupont Multi-Use Lubricant with Teflon Fluoropolymer. Notice no "BICYCLE" in the name. I tried it. Better than any chain lube I have used. It costs $4 for 4 oz. The last chain lube I bought was $6 for the same size.

[ July 28, 2006, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: deoxy4 ]

Park tool markets a good line of bike greases for many bicycle applications,check around some bicycle shops,,have seen Lubriplate products in small tubes i shops also.BL

quote:

Originally posted by deoxy4:
For bearing use in automobiles a NLGI 2 rating is common. For bicycle bearing use a 0 to 1 NLGI rating is common.

Is the NLGI rating really needed in a bicycle application? Synthetic automotive wheel bearing grease would far exceed the temps and loads that a bicycle would ever experience and can be found for like $5 a tub.

Amsoil Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease, NLGI #1 would be an excellent choice. It is $4.90 for a 14 oz. tube, which amounts to $5.60/lb. That falls right in the range you requested.
smile.gif

Keep the rubber side down,
WW
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by RD400:
Originally posted by deoxy4:
[qb]Synthetic automotive wheel bearing grease would far exceed the temps and loads that a bicycle would ever experience and can be found for like $5 a tub.
Yeah and thats the reason you dont use automtive wheel bearing grease.

Seriously, get a tube of Bullshot grease and be done with it...it will last you forever! Its so sticky that you shoundt have to repack the bearings for years...and its water resistant.

Schaeffer's Oil (with sponsers here) makes their Moly Supreme (product #238) in NLGI grades 0 thru 3. It is a superb aluminum complex grease with moly.

Where can I buy 3 lb. or 3 or 4 tubes of Amsoil grease or Schaeffer's grease? I thought you needed to buy large quantities?

I also looked up Bullshot grease. I think they are out of business.

Good to know that Amsoil sells in small quantities, but I am looking for a NLGI 0 or 1
aluminum complex grease. This multi purpose grease is lithium complex, right?

Wash out is 16% for the NLGI 0 and 5% for the NLGI 1 Amsoil Multi-Purpose grease. A good aluminum comples grease is in the order of 1%. That is why i am looking for an aluminum complex grease.

IS using a NLGI #2 grease thatmuch of a problem.
I've been using it for my front hub since I still have part of a can (High temp auto wheel bearing grease) that I bought 20+ years ago.
I could see where a Lance Armstrong type would find a thinner grease more important, but I'm certainly not up to his caliber. (since I'm MUCH older and have bad knees & back and don't ride below 36F).
The layer of grease on ball bearings is pretty thin when you think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back