My commuter bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
 -

Since posting pics of bikes is the thing to do, I figured Id take a pic ofthe commuter bike I have here on travel for work in AL. Pic didnt come out too well because the humidity on the lens and my shooting direction
frown.gif
I didnt have time to wait and let it all equilibrate, and I was too lazy to move.

Anyway, its a 2000 Raleigh M50. It was my first real, non huffy bike - now I have this, a custom MTB and a trek 1200 - I dont get out enough, but I like to bike with the fiancee whenever we can.

Its deore all around, but it works pretty well. shifts smooth and clean. could have a bit more braking power.

I have a 2.1 continental town and country on the rear, and a 1.9 michelin transworld city tire on the front. I use bell slime filled tubes from k-mart. I have to say that Im real happy with this setup. It is actuallly quite hard to lock up the rear tire (though my braking power isnt as great as Id like it to be), and traction in accelerating and quick stopping in gravel and sandy dirt is better than with knobbies that Ive had on my MTBs. rolling resistance seems more or elss nonexistant, yet the tires are reinforced and set up to resist glass and metalic puncture.

I dont go very fast, its pretty heavy as its set up. It rolls real nice, but when pedaling on mixed terrain, Im lucky if I can maintan 14-15 MPH continuously... thats slow to me.

I might change up the wheels at some point, and Id like to get a fender for the front (the fork isnt drilled to mount the one I have), but other than that, it works real nice and well.

My rack is really just good forthe saddle bags... Id like to get something that I could attach a milk-crate size box on (if it exists), plus the trailer per my other post. The current cheapo performance bike rack I have on there is only rated for 0.25kg!

JMH

[ July 19, 2006, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

Nice bike.

Your tire label isn't properly ligned up with the valve. If you get a flat, finding a small puncture in the tire may be unnecessarily difficult.
wink.gif

PS: You need a good headlight.

..."lined" up! I blame the ruby porto. Yikes.
tongue.gif

BTW, what tires do you have on there? Are those Contis? When I was looking for a street tire, it came down to the Schwalbe Marathon or the Specialized Compound PRO ATB. I went with the Specialized, because I felt the Schwalbe, while likely more puncture resistant, was too heavy and to expensive at $45 a piece, and the Specialized offered lower rolling resistance and better handling.

" I have a 2.1 continental town and country on the rear, and a 1.9 michelin transworld city tire on the front. I use bell slime filled tubes from k-mart. I have to say that Im real happy with this setup. It is actuallly quite hard to lock up the rear tire (though my braking power isnt as great as Id like it to be), and traction in accelerating and quick stopping in gravel and sandy dirt is better than with knobbies that Ive had on my MTBs. rolling resistance seems more or elss nonexistant, yet the tires are reinforced and set up to resist glass and metalic puncture.

I dont go very fast, its pretty heavy as its set up. It rolls real nice, but when pedaling on mixed terrain, Im lucky if I can maintan 14-15 MPH continuously..."

I dont get the part about lining up the tire label with the valve... what does that have to do with finding punctures???

Thanks!

JMH

A small puncture is not always easy to spot on a tire, while a hole in the tube is easily found. After removing the tire and tube, and after finding the puncture in the tube, you can use the valve position on the tube in relationship to the position of the tire label to quickly find the hole in the tire. Surely you'd want to put a patch over the tire puncture, so that no abrasive dirt and moisture will get inside the tire and ruin your tube. Having the tire label lined up with the valve is simply a time saver -- and it looks neat.

click me

I prefer to line up the beginning of the label with the valve, this guy likes the valve in the center.
wink.gif

got it... makes sense now.

Ive put about 1500 miles on my bikes since 2000, and have yet to have a flat or puncture...

But im sure the day will come, and this makes sense. I hope it doesnt come too soon, lined up labels or not! knock on wood...

Thanks!

JMH

I've put 2,100 miles on my bike over the past 6 months and I've had one flat from a small splinter of glass. Getting a flat on the bike is not as bad as getting one on the car!
grin.gif

JHZR2,

Did I read your first post right?; did you say you're currently working in AL? If so, what city? If you're close to Huntsville, I could show you some great places to ride around here.

Im currently in Auburn, AL, at the university. Alas, I leave very soon to go back to NJ.

Thanks for the offer!

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back