trailer for grocery getter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
One of the benefits of living in small town suburbia is that you can reasonably ride the bike to go and do things that you would otherwise drive for. Sure in time terms it isnt as efficient, but in feel-goodness and from an exercise standpoint, you cant beat it.

Getting groceries is one topic that is very hard to do on a bike..

Ive contemplated getting one of those kid hauler trailers that fits on aseatpost, but Id guess there has to be something better.

So, does anyone have a trailer for their bike, so they can get groceries or similar stuff and haul it home?

Thanks!

JMH

Thats a good idea if you live in a very small town, just don't buy any ice cream on a hot day.
smile.gif

lol, I brought sausage back in a saddle bag this morning... I should have brought an ice pack, as it was warming up, and it was only a 2 mile ride (but 100F out!).

With a trailer, I could bring a cooler or insulated bag with ice pack and have plenty of space.

Nothing relaces using a car for doing real shopping...

Though when my mother was little, her and her mother used to walk to the supermarket and do shopping for 5! They would bring tings home in the pull-along 'old lady' cart things.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

Ive contemplated getting one of those kid hauler trailers that fits on aseatpost, but Id guess there has to be something better.

So, does anyone have a trailer for their bike, so they can get groceries or similar stuff and haul it home?

Thanks!

JMH

They make much better trialers out there that are designed as a cart to haul some serious stuff. I just don't think a kid hauler would do well execpt for some small stuff.

Do some research before you buy.

Here are some good links.

http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/trailers.htm

I've actually contemplated this myself. I'm getting ready to move to an apartment that is closer to town and think it would be cool to have a trailer to haul stuff around.

Id hate to see that guy try to stop going downhill!

The best trailer on that site you gave isnt currently beign made... doh!

Thanks for the links though!

JMH

from a cost standpoint, you are probably better off not buying a trailer and instead using the money to purchase gas and make biweekly food purchases, or combine trips and get the groceries on the way home from work.

i dont know how far off the grocery is from youre daily commute but for me its an 1/8 mile out of the way. the hundred or 2 hundred dollars spent on a nice little trailer would last me decades of gas purchases for 1/8 mile grocery trips.

quote:

Originally posted by Master ACiD:
from a cost standpoint, you are probably better off not buying a trailer and instead using the money to purchase gas and make biweekly food purchases, or combine trips and get the groceries on the way home from work.

i dont know how far off the grocery is from youre daily commute but for me its an 1/8 mile out of the way. the hundred or 2 hundred dollars spent on a nice little trailer would last me decades of gas purchases for 1/8 mile grocery trips.

I have a feeling that JHZR2 evaluates some things with a unit of measure other than the dollar.

Bob trailers are actually at
http://www.bobtrailers.com/

smile.gif

I actually really like the quik-pak, found here:
http://www.bobtrailers.com/

I think Id prefer it to be attached to the seatpost, rather than the back wheel, and I think that having two wheels would be optimal.. not sure though.

I like these:
Burley Nomad

And these look pretty good, as they use standard rubbermaid boxes, which is kind of nice:

Bicycle Revolution

[ July 04, 2006, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by Master ACiD:

I have a feeling that JHZR2 evaluates some things with a unit of measure other than the dollar.

The real value for me would be the exercise obtained while going and doing this sort of thing, and the fact that my fiancee would likely bicycle with me, so we could have time together going to do something as silly as this!

Yes, if youre out and about, or coming home and can stop - great. But, for me, I like to be outside and doing stuff - if I can do small shopping easily with a trailer, then it is a fun way to use my bike more.

Youre absolutely right in saying that it will not pay in terms of gasoline, or even auto wear and tear dollars (even though our supermarket is the opposite way of my commute)!

JMH

I ride about 3/4 mile to the store to pick up a few things. As long as I can get it all in one sack I just carry it in one hand and steer the bike with the other hand. Never been a problem for me so far. I have to cross one main street and that is a bit of a challenge but otherwise I stay on the side streets.

oops, quik pak is here:
quik pak

FWIW

Are there any pros/cons to a single or double wheel trailer (other than trail considerations) that one might consider???

Thanks!

JMH

-

A guy at work has one on his bike.

15 miles each way to work each day, and rides 500 miles one way when he goes on holidays.

He loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back