Vis @ 100C: 16.47
Soot/solids (%wt): 0.9
TBN: 6.91
Oxid: 33
Nitr: 16
F-soot: 0.95

What do you think?

First off... wrong category.

An entire quart of makeup oil after 8,000 miles? Are your piston rings shot or what?

Your TBN is excellent, but the viscosity is approaching a 50wt. The Aluminum is close to abnormal. I think you could get 13 to 15K out of it...did OAI till you to continue with the oil until the next sample? Great sample and good numbers.

Can anyone comment on his oxidation and nitration numbers please?

* Additional comment...1 quart is not bad at all...your rings are fine, Iron and Chrom are well below normal level...Oh, and try an Eao full flow filter next round to help with the aluminum issue.

OAI did say 'suitable for continued use'. 1 quart in 8,000 miles is bad? My Saturn burned a quart every tank of gas.

Oxidation is higher this time than others. Rest of the readings have been 14-17. This one was 33. Nitration is consistent. Other analysises were 13-15. All oil changes were around 10,000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by truav8r:
First off... wrong category.

An entire quart of makeup oil after 8,000 miles? Are your piston rings shot or what?

Huh? Category is 'light duty diesel engine oils/automobiles'. This is a 2000 VW Golf GLS TDI which is a 'light duty diesel'.

Aluminum is from the plain cam bearings and pistons and is a tad high. Other than that everything looks fine. Engine has 160k miles on it and without knowing the previous maintenance history, the oil consumption seems normal.

Oxidation/Nitration have a max allowable of 50 abs/cm, so those look okay. I'd recommend cleaning the EGR valve if it hasn't been done in the past 50k miles. A known trouble area with these engines....

This is the original AFL formulation, based on Amsoils' HD diesel oil....

TS

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I'd recommend cleaning the EGR valve if it hasn't been done in the past 50k miles. A known trouble area with these engines....

TS

I have the OldNavy CCV. It had an elephant hose when I bought it at 112,000. I do need to check the intake, however.

Paul,

I don't think this 5w-40 resists soot related thickening as well as Amsoils Series 3000 and 15w-40, HD diesel oils. Aside from that, it works well in these light duty diesel applications. When you run out of the original 5w-40, I'd suggest the S3000 for the winter and the 15w-40 for the warmer months up in WI.

TS

I used to run Series 3000 5W-30 in my 2002 Jetta TDI but I stopped when Amsoil came out with the European Car Formula. The iron levels in the 5W-30 seemed high to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back